Flood Results in Post-Apocalyptic Videogame Collection

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Flood Results in Post-Apocalyptic Videogame Collection

When the world ends, your videogame collection might look something like this.

Southern Queensland, Australia was hit with massive flooding in early January 2011, with one victim that even the most self-centered jerk will feel for. A videogame fan with a massive collection was majorly affected by the flood, and his photographs of the damage are extremely depressing.

Not that videogames and videogame consoles were the worst losses or anything, but we can feel bad about the destruction of a huge videogame collection too right? Luckily, everything was insured, not that it makes the loss of these unique items any easier to handle.

[gallery=88]

Seen amongst the rubble are consoles from Sega Saturn to SuperGrafx that are now just mud-streaked relics. Dozens of trashed videogame controllers are in a tangled mess. The collector even had a nice selection of Game & Watch handhelds, a PocketStation, a 32X, and probably a bunch of other rare items that collectors are crying over. To be blunt, maybe the world is better off with one less 32X.

The great photos taken of the flood's destruction are like a rare glimpse into the future. After our civilization is gone, aliens will find collections like this strewn about our planet. They'll put Neo Geos into their museums and wonder what they were used for, questioning the strange writing and symbols stamped upon them.

The 43 pictures don't even show all of the destruction wrought by the flood, with more than 300 games also ruined. The story of the collector's dealings with the flood is available here [http://nfgworld.com/mb/thread/1003-Queensland-Flood-NFG-s-Story]. It's sad, but also intriguing to see such a great collection covered in dirt.

You can help out those affected by the flood here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106944-Our-Australian-Friends-Could-Use-Our-Help]

Source: HardOCP [http://nfgphoto.com/grafx/index.php?path=Events%2FGameFlood]

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
And in my radioactive'd decaying health I shall dig out the last working console, hook it up to my small mammal powered generator and play mario to death!

Best end to humanity ever.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Lets share a moment for this poor man; that poor, poor soul.
Pictures like this though really tell the story of the destruction. It seems weird though like the more Northern and Southern areas of the world are acting up. Ungodly amounts of snow here in Canada, floods in Australia. Whats going on?

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Now we got to keep a careful eye on the consoles. Just in case they develop some kind of Post-Apocalyptic zombie flood virus that makes them COME BACK TO LIFE!

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
I thought that the floods were ongoing, actually, having been listening to the radio last night.

There have been some really sad stories coming out of these floods, too...this is pretty sad too, I mean a life's work...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh god the horror!! Show me no more!!
Those photos remind of this guy in Britain (I forgot his name but he is in some website) who has lost his collection during a heavy rain storm. He had place his collections in his shed which the shed broke apart during the rain exposing all of his games to the water.
None the less I feel sorry for those who had their entire collection in ruins.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Dear Lord, the horror!!!

It really sucks for him. Still, I wonder if he played them at all or simply kept them as relics.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
wow. All the time it took for the guy to collect all that wonderful stuff and years he maintained it all...man that sucks. My sympathies to you, good sir.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Hmm that really makes me rethink my gaming wall, Maybe it would be better to get a big secure water and fire proof cd box. I mean If there was a flood or a fire, obviously you aren't getting your tv and consoles etc out.

Id rather be able to pick up a crate and book it than try and carry dozens of dvd boxes out of the house.

Edit: after looking some of the pictues If I was the guy(I'm an artist btw) Unless there was raw sewage in the parts I would wash them all very carefully and display them either in stacked clear racks or mount them flat against a wall. That's just me personally I'd love to have a bunch of broken old systems, I'd never play them anyway, I like my old games in my mind, it is too hard for me to go back and relive the horrible controls and camera angles of ages gone bye.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
I really know how it feels...

Just like how [a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Ketsana]Typhoon Ketsana[/a] ruined my possessions.

Fuck Floods!!!!! :E

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
The great photos taken of the flood's destruction are like a rare glimpse into the future. After our civilization is gone, aliens will find collections like this strewn about our planet. They'll put Neo Geos into their museums and wonder what they were used for, questioning the strange writing and symbols stamped upon them.
Reminds me of Junk Mountain http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcowloh1cX1qdzgljo1_500.jpg

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
teh_Canape said:
You must be a Chiver!

OT: It's just water damage. You could spend time, opening them up and cleaning them out. It's not like the electronics are fried.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
I feel sorry for the guy but it is not lost if he tosses all of that he is an idiot most of it would probably work just fine with some diligent cleaning and drying. If he does not want to take the time to clean them he could send it all to me and I would have no problem going through and cleaning it all up. The only ones that will be really difficult would be the ones with cd rom drives as the lasers would be near impossible to get clean enough to work again.

Falko

Jun 5, 2010
Jesus...just imagining the time and money he spent on all that. Now it's gone. I feel sorry for him