Flow, Flower, Floweriest

Adam LaMosca

Aug 7, 2006
Flow, Flower, Floweriest

Reviewers have embraced Flower in a way they never did Flow, but is that because it's a better game, or simply more conventional?

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
I suppose all original ideas can be defined by how repulsed people are by them. If it's truly new and unique, then the surest sign of this is that people absolutely don't get it or are even offended.

In this case, they just got people warmed up to the idea of floating around as the main focus of the game and built on it. I just wish I could get a hold of a PS3 and see what all the fuss is about...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
flOw was my favourite PSN game, it was relaxing, and a perfect antidote to modern games. I'm glad that flower is getting good reviews as I have just bought it and it is downloading as i speak (or type).

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
It's a shame really that flOw was so poorly received, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. Never before has a game both entertained me and relazed me, infact I don't think any game has ever relaxed me before.
I'm looking forward to purchasing flower, I'm almost saving myself for it, waiting as long as I can to play it, until I can wait no longer.

VaioStreams

May 7, 2008
I loved flOw, i loved thatgamecompany's first original IP Cloud. so i had to try Flower. I bought flower the same day i bought F.E.A.R 2. I love flower. it's a great game. short. but it's great

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
I'll admit, after my experience with flOw I was *slightly* disappointed at how conventional Flower's narrative was. I understand the temptation to build the story around an overarching good vs. evil/light vs. darkness theme, but I think Flower's later levels are diluted by this arbitrary conflict.

There's a purity of purpose to both the whole of flOw and Flower's earlier levels, because your goal is implicit. You don't need to be told that the creatures you're eating are "evil" - it's a fact of life that creatures eat each other to survive. Likewise, you shouldn't need to be reminded that the propagation of plant life is somehow a force for good. It's just how nature works.

What I found most refreshing about flOw (and what its detractors found so off-putting) is that it doesn't resort to typical videogame conventions to motivate players. Flower does. That's why even though Flower's setting and imagery is more "natural" than flOw's, I still found the experience of the former to be a bit more artificial.

_daxter_

Jan 12, 2008
guys, if you want relaxation, try Windwaker - I just dig the sailing part of the game. i still have to try flower out, because my controller is broken, but the narrative is just plain boring. very disappointed - it seems like somebody came up with this relaxation idea for people who are too dumb to get typical video game controls and then put a 10 min. narrative on top of it. cliches, cliches, boring, boring.

ok, let me think: why not... well why mention the modern world at all??? why do players have to be violent anyway??? why not simply play on the beaty of nature and the other elements??? is there summer, spring, winter and autumn in the game??? why not "play" through the elemental cycle of seasons... make people learn about flower types etc. etc. there is so much you could use as well - add a little mystery to make it more interesting and people probably won't even notice their learning something...

well... enjoy the game!! ;)

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Jordan Deam said:
I'll admit, after my experience with flOw I was *slightly* disappointed at how conventional Flower's narrative was. I understand the temptation to build the story around an overarching good vs. evil/light vs. darkness theme, but I think Flower's later levels are diluted by this arbitrary conflict.

There's a purity of purpose to both the whole of flOw and Flower's earlier levels, because your goal is implicit. You don't need to be told that the creatures you're eating are "evil" - it's a fact of life that creatures eat each other to survive. Likewise, you shouldn't need to be reminded that the propagation of plant life is somehow a force for good. It's just how nature works.

What I found most refreshing about flOw (and what its detractors found so off-putting) is that it doesn't resort to typical videogame conventions to motivate players. Flower does. That's why even though Flower's setting and imagery is more "natural" than flOw's, I still found the experience of the former to be a bit more artificial.
I have yet to try both of these games, but I'm very intrigued. I can understand what you mean though, I love games that resort to the abstract and unusual for motivation.
Jugding by your awesome Eraserhead avatar, I think I can trust your comment :D

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
The headline made me think of only one thing.

"Is...is there a RapiEST Ape?"

Bonus points if you know where that came from. The best derailed train of logic joke ever.