Fly Gabe Newell Fund Raises $3000

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Yeah, Gabe does seem like a very cool guy. Makes me feel bad for all the "LOL GABE IS PHAT" jokes I've made in my more foolish days.

I asked Joe how he even ended up becoming internet-friends with Gabe in the first place. Here's what he said:

Just by bouncing emails off him. Usually, they come back. I think it started with me asking for an autographed X800XT (back when that card was the best you could get), to which he responded by sending me a cardboard one and a Day of Defeat poster. I thought that was awesome. He also let me interview him (by email) for a high school project, which is probably entirely responsible for my getting a good mark.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Toty54 said:
messy said:
Toty54 said:
3000$ in 3 days? That's impressive.
Gotta love Valve, now maybe if there was a similar fund for episode 3...
One of the donators suggested locking Gabe Newell in a basement the moment he got there and forcing him to make episode 3.

You never know it might even work.
ROFL! You have just made my day!

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The sooner you guys give up on Episode 3 the healthier you'll be.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I sincerely hope that the Mod doesn't suck. I have met way too many folk who have written some mod for a game saying that it is great and really expands the concepts of the game only to see them be pieces of crap.

I do think it is awesome that Gabe and Co will take them up on the offer and fly out to see this guys mod. It is really great to see companies wanting to connect with the community they created.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
im so happy that the 1 dollar i donated is going to help a bedroom developer and get Gabe a piece of dry chicken.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Wouldn't it make more sense to fly himself to Valve? I mean, in terms of people having to fly and all.

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
Kwil said:
It's all a tongue in cheek thing, made interesting more because of the way people were willing to chip in real money to make the joke play out.
The only truly worthwhile part of life is the jokes.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
JimmyBassatti said:
GonzoGamer said:
So did the airline make him get two seats in the end?
Nice job, taking a joke that is overused and making it more stale. I salute you, GonzoGamer.
Joke?! Who's joking?
Have you seen pictures of this guy? I'm totally serious.

"No you can't take a whole cooked Turkucken as your carryon mr Newell, it doesn't fit in the overhead, Rob Reiner already tried."
That's a joke.