Fly Like A Pterosaur: An Interactive Prehistoric Flight Sim

Robert Rath

Oct 8, 2010
Fly Like A Pterosaur: An Interactive Prehistoric Flight Sim

The American Museum of Natural History is using an interactive Kinect game and its Pterosaur exhibit to teach people about different prehistoric flying creatures.

Read Full Article

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
That's kinda awesome. I really hope they make a public release of this. It'd probably be enough on its own to get me to buy a Kinect.

TheMightyMeekling

Sep 10, 2014
I tried it.

The pterodactyl was uncontrollable, didn't respond to movements, but the small pterosaur was quite steerable. I thought it was interesting and also really AWESOME!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheMightyMeekling said:
I tried it.

The pterodactyl was uncontrollable, didn't respond to movements, but the small pterosaur was quite steerable. I thought it was interesting and also really AWESOME!
So what you're saying is, better than a Kinect game.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I would have totally loved this as a kid and I totally approve. Still wouldn't buy an X-Box for it, though.

TheMightyMeekling

Sep 10, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
TheMightyMeekling said:
I tried it.

So what you're saying is, better than a Kinect game.
Well, I never played a kinect game, so I wouldn't know. But I wouldn't really say it is a good game. It isn't even a game at all, you can flap your arms and the pterosaur moves according to you. That is great, but the novelty of it wears off really quickly. But I am impressed that they brought these majestic creatures of the sky to life on the screen. Major kudos to these people for that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheMightyMeekling said:
Well, I never played a kinect game, so I wouldn't know. But I wouldn't really say it is a good game. It isn't even a game at all, you can flap your arms and the pterosaur moves according to you. That is great, but the novelty of it wears off really quickly. But I am impressed that they brought these majestic creatures of the sky to life on the screen. Major kudos to these people for that.
Yeah, it was kind of just a humourous jab at how bad Kinect games are by all accounts. Actually, you hit on many of the same points, including complaints like "not a game," issues of novelty, and control issues. Not that I'm saying you're complaining, I'm just pulling up the parallels. If that makes sense. I don't know. I shouldn't reply at 2 AM.