Flying Finally Comes to Draenor in World of Warcraft

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Flying Finally Comes to Draenor in World of Warcraft

There was much gnashing of teeth from the World of Warcraft community when it was announced prior to the release of the Warlords of Draenor expansion that flying would not be implemented until a later patch. Blizzard felt players needed to explore the new world on the ground first to get the full experience before being allowed to bypass it all in the air.

Well, that achievement "Draenor Pathfinder" [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19828438/official-622-patch-notes-8-31-2015] to unlock flying. The good news is that it requires only one character per account to get the achievement to unlock flying for all characters on that account.

And now that players will be able to fly, new elite rare creatures can be found in Tanaan Jungle and Nagrand in areas accessible only by flying. Happy hunting.

In addition to flying, the patch also brings an interesting PvP element to it called Mercenary Mode [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19818013/]. It allows players to join the opposing faction (in appropriate disguise) if your side is experiencing long queue times. This new mode will work on the PvP island of Ashran, as well as Battlegrounds. Rewards will be the same but will not count toward any faction-specific achievement.

There are other minor changes and bug fixes as well, so be sure to check the patch notes for full details. As of this writing, the servers are currently being updated and are expected to be back up around 11 a.m. PST (2 p.m. EST).

Source: Battle.net [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19828438/official-622-patch-notes-8-31-2015]

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Damn I hated WoD went from my favorite game where I played with multiple friends to all of us unsubscribing about 3 weeks after it dropped. Its still being obnoxious with a grindy path to flying. We all quit cold turkey nothing they've done has been remotely appealing to come back.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
It's been many years since I played WoW, but pathfinder achievments were annoying even with flying. On ground it must be a nightmare of boredom.

Also, they originally didn't have flying in Draenor? That is stupid on multiple levels.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Tank207 said:
Also, they originally didn't have flying in Draenor? That is stupid on multiple levels.
Nope and they kept coming up with various excuses as to why after one of the CM's let slip that it was to pad out content and edited the post shortly after, cutting that part out. Considering the end result of Warlords (the only planned patch now is the lead up one to Legion) that original admission was spot on.

You know what the truly pathetic part about this is? It is a living embodiment of Blizzard staff's incapability to be honest.

Shortly after Warlords was announced, the dev team said they were planning at having flying only be able to occur near the end of the expansion and have it be a part of something grand that you worked at throughout the expansion. (for the interest of full disclosure this was the breaking point for me and I unsubbed) Then through a manner of some very dishonest tactics and wording the devs got the remaining player base to practically BEG for their original plan. Well, a modification of it at any rate. The original plan didn't require almost having everything done tha wasn't a sideline first.

And people were shocked when lead devs said they were happy with how flying turned out in Warlords LAST MONTH! Of course they're happy! They proved the remaining player base are exactly the same type of people as the Gotham public were in Batman Returns. You know, "pinhead puppets" who could be played "like a harp from hell".

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
Blizzard felt players needed to explore the new world on the ground first to get the full experience before being allowed to bypass it all in the air.
So Blizzard doesn't want to let the player play the game they way they want to. They are forcing them to play through *all* the content in the slowest way possible before allowing them to fly around and skip it later. News flash, Blizzard. Some of us are more interested in flying around and raiding, not your shitty, ret-con lore and poorly designed maps.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
There are flying mounts to buy for money still, right? I mean throughout WoD. That they have pulled this one off is unbelievable for me.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Naldan said:
There are flying mounts to buy for money still, right? I mean throughout WoD. That they have pulled this one off is unbelievable for me.
Ayup. As well, to add insult to injury, the collector's edition mount that was heavily promoted and advertised is also a flying mount that native to the location the expansion takes place in and naturally flies there.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
LordLundar said:
Naldan said:
Ayup. As well, to add insult to injury, the collector's edition mount that was heavily promoted and advertised is also a flying mount that native to the location the expansion takes place in and naturally flies there.
Sorry for the spam, but: lol. I've nothing more to say about this. I think I can safely ignore any future WoW posts, like in the last 2 years.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Naldan said:
Sorry for the spam, but: lol. I've nothing more to say about this. I think I can safely ignore any future WoW posts, like in the last 2 years.
No, you're right, it is ludicrous. It's one of the many points laid out as to just how far up their asses the staff at blizzard have their heads and as such why their sub numbers nosedived from near their peak to lower than any expansion over the course of 6 months.