Food for thought: COVID up, flu WAY down

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Queued up to the children conversation:

Dr. Paul Offit also says schools should be open and to say he's an expert in the field would be a massive understatement. A bit of a fun fact, kids under 5 years old don't even have the ACE2 receptors that covid uses to get into cells.

"[Teachers] are essential workers and essential workers need to work." - Dr. Paul Offit

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Queued up to the children conversation:

Dr. Paul Offit also says schools should be open and to say he's an expert in the field would be a massive understatement. A bit of a fun fact, kids under 5 years old don't even have the ACE2 receptors that covid uses to get into cells.

"[Teachers] are essential workers and essential workers need to work." - Dr. Paul Offit
Teachers are working. Online. Teachers should strike if that's not good enough.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
" Importantly, the impact on R was similar for pre-school, primary & secondary school settings. "
Pretty unlikely.

"Still, Honein said, even in places with high infection rates, there is no evidence that schools will transmit the virus at rates that are any higher than those seen in the general community. She said they can operate safely as long as precautions are employed."

"No staff member infections were tied to in-school spread."

"Transmission staff-to-staff was most common; among staff and students was less common; and student-to-student spread more rare"

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Pretty unlikely.

"Still, Honein said, even in places with high infection rates, there is no evidence that schools will transmit the virus at rates that are any higher than those seen in the general community. She said they can operate safely as long as precautions are employed."

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
What study links higher infection rates (that would be anything above a marginal increase) to school openings? Infection spikes are completely independent of school openings.

Also relevant to the ongoing discussion:

Kinda funny how they credit the lockdowns to lowering the infection rate when the US and UK infection rates basically mirror each other this holiday season to right now and the US didn't lockdown. Why has the US rate went down?

1613660458600.png

If kids are getting it now in the UK that means they ain't getting it from schools because they're closed or else this line wouldn't be in the article, "opening schools in March has to be done very carefully".

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Kinda funny how they credit the lockdowns to lowering the infection rate when the US and UK infection rates basically mirror each other this holiday season to right now and the US didn't lockdown. Why has the US rate went down?

Probably because there have been restrictions in place depending on the state, including various businesses closed, particularly in states with high urban populations (California & NY for example). Combined with the vaccination drive, and falling infection rates in other countries helping drive it down. Pretty simple.

If kids are getting it now in the UK that means they ain't getting it from schools because they're closed or else this line wouldn't be in the article, "opening schools in March has to be done very carefully".
OK. So you believe the school environment offers some unique characteristic which will protect against these higher rates? I thought your position was that kids themselves are innately just super-mega-unlikely to get it at all.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Probably because there have been restrictions in place depending on the state, including various businesses closed, particularly in states with high urban populations (California & NY for example). Combined with the vaccination drive, and falling infection rates in other countries helping drive it down. Pretty simple.

OK. So you believe the school environment offers some unique characteristic which will protect against these higher rates? I thought your position was that kids themselves are innately just super-mega-unlikely to get it at all.
Illinois had all these restrictions and Indiana didn't as I live on the border. I went to Indiana for New Years because you couldn't in Illinois, it was pretty funny how all the time restrictions lifted on the New Year so you could stay past midnight at the bar. Hell, I would always go into Indiana if I was getting fast food because all the Illinois places only had drive-thrus open (which is really annoying not being able to go in and order for carry out and have to wait in a long ass drive-thru line). Look at how both the charts are really similar and both states had completely different restrictions. Maybe, you know, people gathered more because of the holidays... that is the one known/obvious commonality?

1613672952738.png
1613672836595.png

There's no major infection spikes that correlate to school openings. The staff are more likely to spread it to staff than anything else, when it should be pretty easy for them to distance cuz there's one staff per classroom.

Last edited:

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
We now have 500k Covid deaths.

On the bright side, the US is number one in vaccine rollout for a country of its size.

Edit: Fine I will be the first one here to say it. Good job Biden Administration on your vaccine rollout.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
On the bright side, the US is number one in vaccine rollout for a country of its size.
For it's size. But excluding its size, behind the UK. Heaven knows I've had precious little to be pleased about my country recently, so please allow me this one. ;)

After those two made such a godalmighty mess of their covid-19 response, getting the vaccination right is the least they could do.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
We now have 500k Covid deaths.

Edit: Fine I will be the first one here to say it. Good job Biden Administration on your vaccine rollout.
... they were predicting end of April for most of the important people to get it but had to push that back to the end of May. Still better than Trump’s saying he’ll do 20 mil and then only did 2. And it’s the start with what sounds like utter useless infrastructure that Trump thought would work. I’d give it an ‘adequate job’

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
For it's size. But excluding its size, behind the UK. Heaven knows I've had precious little to be pleased about my country recently, so please allow me this one. ;)

After those two made such a godalmighty mess of their covid-19 response, getting the vaccination right is the least they could do.
I guess I am biased since multiple friends and family I know have gotten it, and while I did get Covid, and was in a higher risk group, I survived due to my age. It still hurt like hell tho, and I coughed like crazy.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Is the UK still doing the thing with the two injections, but much further apart than they should be against medical advice?