For those who work in retail. Black Friday is coming.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
War. War is just a play thing compared to Black Friday.

This is where hell confronts you. The rush. The anger. The cold cash and credit involved. You may laugh at those who fight for a piece of plastic but that laugh is only the beginning of what's to come. Has capitalism won. Creating the madness. The chaos. The anger. The Fallout. Christmas is not a religious holiday. Don't be fooled. Money rules. Money controls. Money is GOD.

Workers! Many of you are young. Ignorant at what will go on. Your life will change. You will see the worse of human nature. The worse of humanity. Many of you will survive. Some of you won't. No matter how many we lose, we will shall stand strong. Defy the self entitled assholes and highbrow pieces of shots. They may shout at us but we will stand tall and strong. They may want to talk to our manager to complain about us cause they themselves messed up an order but we shall stand tall and strong. They may swing at us cause we are sold out of whatever they wanted but we shall stand tall and strong. Maybe get knocked the fuck out because those damn old people and mothers are crafty mother fuckers. They may try to destroy the store because we didn't have a certain colour for that item but we shall stand strong.

Retail takes no prisoners. It prey's on the weak. It takes the soul of the many and feeds on all. Stand tall my brothers and sister, for Winter's ice. Winter is coming. We shall dine in freezing hell.

...nah I am fucking with you all. Retail staff are FUCKED!!

Have you ever worked Black Friday? Give us your retail experience at any time in your life. Should we be scared?

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
They were once human. Great celebrators of holidays. Then Consumerism gave to them one day of massive sales. Blinded by their greed, they took it without question, one by one falling into darkness. Now they are slaves to its will. They are the Shoppers, Pricewraiths, neither frugal nor wasteful. At all times they feel the presence of the sales, drawn to the low, low prices. They will never stop hunting you. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB9EWz4XBn4]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I kinda fornatuate that the store I worked at doesn't have one per say (cheap brand and proper brands at a sale). There is a event on Friday simply called "friend and family" which is basically a 20% off for the said friend and family as long they have the voucher given by us and it's starts in the afternoon.

Granted there is a catched to it as the fine prints states that the voucher CANNOT be used on food, sweets and tolietries which make up half of our shop. The only thing they can really used that voucher on are Christmas (got LOADS of it), homeware, pets, bed stuff and the small DIY sections we got.

Also don't quote me how much of a rip off or which companies is doing this, I already know it's a sucky company.

Lastly thankfully I got Friday off to do my shopping unlike my supervisor (shame he working all day).

EDIT- Ok so the store does do Black Friday afterall but it's only a few selected lines...

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I'll let you know on Saturday.

I don't know if it's lucky or not that I'm in fast food rather than a clothing/apparel store. We still have to open crazy-early along with the other stores though.

If anyone here is going shopping for sales, please be gentle to your retail staff. :(

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I've always envisioned it being something like a zombie apocalypse.
So, like this [http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/black-friday-meme.jpg].

As a former Target employee (Aus market), I urge you friends, stay strong.
For as I have learnt from told experiences, there are no factions, only chaos.

Even if you go down, just know, your sacrifice will not be in vain.
For we know one thing...
Code:
Black Friday. Black Friday never changes.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Praise be to Azathoth that I study engineering, and have never worked in retail or customer service. I'm hoping I can keep things that way. Black Friday is starting to get pushed even here in Scandinavia, and I'd push it right the fuck back if I could.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Sadly, I'm a veteran of more then one Blackfriday. It can be hard, when the madness takes them, and the smoke from the burning cash registers fills your lungs, and you know it's sill not over yet. Thankfully we had a brave and stalwart front end supervisor last year to hold everything together.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Black Friday isn't happening at my company this year.

After looking at last year's statistics they decided it would be more profitable to stagger the flash sale items through the four weeks running up to Christmas instead of dumping them all in one day.

Naturally I am mortified about this, positively mortified...

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I haven't actually seen many good deals. I might get some RAM over the internet, but that's probably it. I guess this means all of the shopping centres in my neighbourhood are going to be write-offs for a 24-hour period. Joy.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
It doesn't seem to be that big a deal here in New York. The only time I've ever Black Friday'd was in 06 to get a Wii.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
I am so thankful to be out of retail before Black Friday creeped it's way up here. Boxing day was hell enough as it was and we were well prepared for it.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I remember the dark days... I used to work at WAL MART. [gasp!]

Three black fridays, three COD launches, and working Christmas for two years were enough for me. The rampant shoppers, the noise... The bathrooms... oh god the bathrooms... somehow, someone broke a door off of its hinges... and the inside of the stall looked like a shaped charge had detonated from inside the toilet...

*shivers*

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
sky14kemea said:

I don't know if it's lucky or not that I'm in fast food rather than a clothing/apparel store. We still have to open crazy-early along with the other stores though.

If anyone here is going shopping for sales, please be gentle to your retail staff. :(
I am an intelligent shopper and already have most of my Christmas Shopping done. But even if I did somehow, and in some fit of unimaginable stupor, go out into the herding masses of Black Friday, I would greet all retailer and fast food staff with the same kind of kindness and generosity I give to any stranger I meet:

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
sky14kemea said:

Whoa I'm in fast food and retail...my fast food job is actually loosing sales because of the holidays. I wonder why you have to open early?

As for me, there is no Black Friday deals in my store so I'm sure it's just going to be a little bit more busy whilst the smarter and crazier people bother GameStop, Toys R Us, Best Buy or others all very close to my store anyway so...

I've worked Black Friday before at GameStop and remimber it was very underwhelming....Christmas week though...

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Never worked at a place that does Black Friday and I never will. Black Friday should be viewed as a Holiday and everyone that has to work it receive time and a half. Retail workers should be able to carry tasera on Black Friday.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Story said:
sky14kemea said:

Whoa I'm in fast food and retail...my fast food job is actually loosing sales because of the holidays. I wonder why you have to open early?
I think it's because we're located in a shopping mall, so when people wander around they might think "ooh, food!" at 5am or whatever silly time they decided.

Christmas will just be hell for everyone really. :C

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
I work at a UPS store and we are absolutely dead on Black Friday. It's everyday after Black Friday that is the real busy times for us until the end of the holiday season.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
This year is gonna be great for our store. At least three cash registers are broken at the moment. We have that God awful chip reader system to suffer through. Store management isn't happy with the front end managers at the moment so the front end managers take out their frustrations on us. On the front end side I can count on one hand the number of people who are competent and actually willing to do a decent job.

Last time I worked on Black Friday I watched a fist fight between old ladies over a tv, this year the staff will probably be getting into fights with each other. Good times.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
We gave the world:

Reflecting telescope,Seed drill,Marine chronometer,Spinning frame,Toothbrush,Soda water,Hydraulic press,Steam engine,Glider,Tension-spoked wheel,Tin can,Modern fire extinguisher,Electric motor,Waterproof material,Cement,Passenger railway,Lawnmower,Photography,Electric telegraph,Chocolate bar,Hypodermic syringe,Synthetic dye,Bessemer process,Linoleum,Sewage system,Modern Torpedo,Telephone,Light Bulb,Steam turbine,Safety bicycle,Pneumatic tyre,Thermos flask,Electric vacuum cleaner,Disc Brakes,Stainless Steel,Military tank,Television,Catseye,Jet Engine,Electronic programmable computer,Hovercraft,Automatic kettle,Float Glass,Hip Replacement,Carbon fibre,Collapsible baby buggy,ATM,World Wide Web,Wind-up radio

America gave us Black Friday, thanks for fucking nothing.

On a more direct note the irony of the fact that the utter dick heads who introduced this festive of mass moronic consumer stupidity Asda / Wallmart have this year decided not to bother with Black Friday. I guess they got tired of having to break up fights between retards trying to get their hands on cheap ass TVs. Working in retail I can tell you one thing, no shop, no company in the history of the world sells a product with the intention of making a loss, so that Fudami TV that is now being sold at a great 75% off (it was £1,000 now £250) it's worth about £50, it's a cheap price because guess what it is fucking cheap.

As far as I am concerned Black Friday is one 'event' 'tradition', I dunno 'ritual' what would you call it? Whatever it can fuck off.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I wonder how long stores will continue to give good deals on Black Friday, that is if they still do. I mean, by this point it's become ingrained in the public's mind that Black Friday = Amazing Deals, so at this point it makes more sense for stores to only put out some middling sales because everybody is already going to show up anyway. It's not like most people keep track of the regular prices on items, all that matters is that there's a sale sticker and the store can say the regular price is whatever they want.