for Warhammer 40K tabletop Tyranid players...

steelserenity

Jul 21, 2011
Hey everyone!!
I have recently begun building my Warhammer 40K army, which are (I think obviously at this point) Tyranids. I have a few troops already, but that's all at the moment!
I really enjoy the game, but I am having trouble deciding what tactic I want to take with this army... I was planning on the "strength in swarm & numbers" tactic, but I am having some difficulties choosing my HQ(s) and Elites.

My question for you, Escapist community, is if you have any idea on what approach I should take? Or does anyone have any good strategies to share, that they have learned from playing Tyranids? Possibly a bit on what HQ's or Elites work well with the tactic? I would really appreciate the help!! :)

PS. I have read the Codex where they give ideas on "building the swarm", but I am still not exactly sure where to start!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
As many canon fodder squads as possible. The enemy will shoot them first and if they do get to your enemy troops, they will tear them apart. Then all your Hive Tyrands, Carnafex's and Warriors can sneak up behind.

steelserenity

Jul 21, 2011
TimeLord said:
As many canon fodder squads as possible. The enemy will shoot them first and if they do get to your enemy troops, they will tear them apart. Then all your Hive Tyrands, Carnafex's and Warriors can sneak up behind.
That's more or less what I was thinking lol! :) Also, do you/would you know if getting The Swarmlord is worth it?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Nids aren't like other armies, they are intimidating in ways that orks or necrons just aren't.

I'd suggest taking some of those nasty, mess with your head, jump out at random monsters to freak your opponent out, and cause they are sorta cool (if you overlook masses of stupid fluff).

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
steelserenity said:
TimeLord said:
That's more or less what I was thinking lol! :) Also, do you/would you know if getting The Swarmlord is worth it?
I personally would go with a normal Hive Tyrant and equip it with wings. That way it can keep up with your faster swarms and stay in hive mind range. Also take at least one squad of Genestealers with a Broodlord. If I remember my Codex correctly, they can infiltrate and be another distraction to stop the enemy shooting your valuable big targets.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Nids are more versatile than just swarms and numbers. Hormagaunts are probably the best fodder piece you've got, you can use them to pretty much bum rush your opponent and lock them into close combat if you have enough. Also, don't forget your genestealers are basically gods of close combat. For HQs and elites, you can't really go wrong with Hive tyrants, but also consider Trygons (and trygon primes), monsterous creatures that con deep strike anywhere with no penalty. For elites, consider Hive guard, as they can shoot through cover and don't need LOS, so if you find a building or hill for them to hide behind, they can shoot with impunity.

And finally, don't forget that nids have one of the most robust set of special characters in the game. In particular, the Doom of Malentai can completely fuck up an enemy's army on his own

steelserenity

Jul 21, 2011
TimeLord said:
steelserenity said:
TimeLord said:
I personally would go with a normal Hive Tyrant and equip it with wings. That way it can keep up with your faster swarms and stay in hive mind range. Also take at least one squad of Genestealers with a Broodlord. If I remember my Codex correctly, they can infiltrate and be another distraction to stop the enemy shooting your valuable big targets.
Awesome, I guess I was on the right track, because that is like, exactly to a T what I was planning to do lol! Thanks so much for the help :)!

steelserenity

Jul 21, 2011
vivaldiscool said:
Nids are more versatile than just swarms and numbers. Hormagaunts are probably the best fodder piece you've got, you can use them to pretty much bum rush your opponent and lock them into close combat if you have enough. Also, don't forget your genestealers are basically gods of close combat. For HQs and elites, you can't really go wrong with Hive tyrants, but also consider Trygons (and trygon primes), monsterous creatures that con deep strike anywhere with no penalty. For elites, consider Hive guard, as they can shoot through cover and don't need LOS, so if you find a building or hill for them to hide behind, they can shoot with impunity.

And finally, don't forget that nids have one of the most robust set of special characters in the game. In particular, the Doom of Malentai can completely fuck up an enemy's army on his own
Yeah lol, they're so awesome! I was thinking of a Mawloc, do you have any insight on how they are?? Also a Hive Guard was a choice of mine too!! I can't remember exactly, I gotta check up on what the Doom of Malentai does in my codex!

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
steelserenity said:
Hey everyone!!
I have recently begun building my Warhammer 40K army, which are (I think obviously at this point) Tyranids. I have a few troops already, but that's all at the moment!
I really enjoy the game, but I am having trouble deciding what tactic I want to take with this army... I was planning on the "strength in swarm & numbers" tactic, but I am having some difficulties choosing my HQ(s) and Elites.

My question for you, Escapist community, is if you have any idea on what approach I should take? Or does anyone have any good strategies to share, that they have learned from playing Tyranids? Possibly a bit on what HQ's or Elites work well with the tactic? I would really appreciate the help!! :)

PS. I have read the Codex where they give ideas on "building the swarm", but I am still not exactly sure where to start!
Check out the Beat Matt Bat Reps over at Mini Wargaming, his armies are usually pretty good.

http://www.miniwargaming.com/

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
vivaldiscool said:

Eep, what this guy said. I think there is only one Troops choice that can points-for-points go toe-to-toe with Genestealers in CC: Chaos Daemonettes.

What's that special Hive Tyrant called...? The one with four boneswords, I keep forgetting that bugger's name... he's a nasty piece of work too.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I suggest lots and lots of genestealers. One of my housemates plays Tyranids and he does this, it annoys me no end (he also has a hierophant (which is the most evil thing ever), but I'm guessing you won't be getting one just yet). Good thing my Eldar are just so boss.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Loved Tyranids but after reading a few of these replies it is clear that WH40K is no longer the same game I played (or at least the Tyranids have evolved a lot). I had Zoat models :/ Exactly.