Forespoken Demo Impressions - Forget it

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The Game Awards has unleashed a few demo's on us as well as discounts on games featured and a slew of pre-orders now available. But the one thing that grabbed me from that was the Forespoken Demo. A lot of people had reservations about this game due to the cringy trailer that drops a while back, and the game delayed from August 22 to Jan 23, things haven't been pointing to this being as grand as they want us to believe.

Well now you can play it, if you have a PS5, so I did.

Those of you who don't have a PS5 don't worry, you aren't missing anything. This game is rough, at least the demo is rough.

First problem is that the control scheme is rather clunky and a hassle. Namely you have several spells to choose from that come in two schools of spell. There are melee spells which basically give you a fire sword and ranged spells that allow you to cast earth spells which basically just shoot rocks at things. To swap spell "schools" you hold L1 and R1 and then use the right stick to highlight which school you want active. Then each school has 3 attacks and you switch by hold R1 and using the right stick to again pick the spell. Then attacking is simply spamming R2 for quick attacks or holding R2 for heavy attacks. R3 will lock-on to enemies but there is also a Arkham-style soft lock on that will jump you to enemies you are pointing at automatically and locking on only seems useful for bigger fights which require you to dodge in and out of attack range.

This combat is clunky, as R2 is not a great button to spam especially since the face buttons don't do much as circle dodges, x jumps, and triangle picks up items and interacts with things. I dont think square does anything so attack would have been better to be here.

The combat also has a problem in that the particle effects are nonsense and crazy, to the point where the game struggles to maintain 30FPS. Yeah this big PS5 demo runs at 30FPS not 60 and it looks crap because of it. The whole game feels juttery because of this, and combat is worse because of the spells being so particle heavy. Enemies also have tiny, thin little health bars which make it hard to see when you beat them. Overall combat feels floaty, sluggish, and poor.

Then you have everyone's favorite problem, the Ubisoft open world problem. Forspoken's map is littered with tons of markers and crap to do, from puzzle chests, to photo spots, to little camps and bases to attack, time challenges, fast travel towers (that you don't have to climb), and even just treasure chests marked on the map. Of course you can pick flowers and enemies drop materials used to craft upgrades to your cloak (aka your armor) and your necklace which powers up your spells and defenses. And there are even more things like fountains that unlock more spells for you to cast.

Finally the Cuff and Faye constantly talk to each other and talk shit in combat which wasn't annoying in the demo because the demo is short, but in a long game....it's gonna be bad.

So you know...uh....maybe if you are really needing an open world game it might be worth getting. But don't expect much out of this.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The combat also has a problem in that the particle effects are nonsense and crazy, to the point where the game struggles to maintain 30FPS. Yeah this big PS5 demo runs at 30FPS not 60 and it looks crap because of it.
Welcome to next generation gaming folks! Where the console still can't hit a target 60 FPS for many games, while still boasting about how it's the next best thing. Why are people paying $500 for the system again?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Welcome to next generation gaming folks! Where the console still can't hit a target 60 FPS for many games, while still boasting about how it's the next best thing. Why are people paying $500 for the system again?
Dont blame the system for that. The ps5 can and does hit and hold 60fps on most things. It is forespoken that's the problem here. Either it has terrible optimization of theyve locked it to thirty because the game can handle going over that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dont blame the system for that. The ps5 can and does hit and hold 60fps on most things. It is forespoken that's the problem here. Either it has terrible optimization of theyve locked it to thirty because the game can handle going over that.
I know. I just did it for exaggerated effect. It's still a problem as there are 3rd party games that don't bother to hit 60 fps, and are still charging at 70 plus dollars. For this game, it's even more inexcusable because of the delays and it being SE. I'll ask the same thing I asked to the Korean developers for GG Gore: "What what the hell you been doing all these years and thinking any of this is a good idea?!".

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I know. I just did it for exaggerated effect. It's still a problem as there are 3rd party games that don't bother to hit 60 fps, are still charging at 70 plus dollars. For this game, it's even more inexcusable because of the delays and it being SE. I'll ask the same thing I asked to the Korean developers for GG Gore: "What what the hell you been doing all these years and thinking any of this is a good idea?!".
I dunno.....drinking gin?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
I know. I just did it for exaggerated effect. It's still a problem as there are 3rd party games that don't bother to hit 60 fps, are still charging at 70 plus dollars. For this game, it's even more inexcusable because of the delays and it being SE. I'll ask the same thing I asked to the Korean developers for GG Gore: "What what the hell you been doing all these years and thinking any of this is a good idea?!".
I'mma throw out there that the graphics settings has a specific thing for 60fps performance, 30fps RT, and 30fps 4K. I opted for 60fps and it improves the experience significantly, though the game itself still kinda looks... meh. One of those things where it just doesn't look appealing visually or really sharp at all.

Crit, since you played it, does the game look... dim, to you?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'mma throw out there that the graphics settings has a specific thing for 60fps performance, 30fps RT, and 30fps 4K. I opted for 60fps and it improves the experience significantly, though the game itself still kinda looks... meh. One of those things where it just doesn't look appealing visually or really sharp at all.

Crit, since you played it, does the game look... dim, to you?
I dunno if dim is the right word, it looks lifeless though. Not just in terms of the color scheme which is rocky grey and brown, but there is a lot of nothing in the open world outside of grass and rocks...and enemies when you near points of interest. It's not nearly as impressive as I expected based off the trailers, but i could have been distracted by the awkward controls and the cuff talking too much.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I know most games on modern consoles do that, or bump up the frame rate and resolution for backwards compatible games. For a company like Square though, my problem is that it's inexcusable. They expect people to pay $70 to this. If all you have going for is pretty graphics or particle effects with either bad gameplay decisions or really limited game design, then you're just making another The Order: 1886. Even Sony's 1st party games ain't worth $70+.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Well I already brought, cause I'm an idiot and saw it for 1/3 off, so I'll see anyway but a lot of this doesn't really bother me. I'll be playing on PC, with a recent GPU (hopefully) so performance shouldn't matter and the control scheme doesn't sound too bad so long as there's a quick switch option.

The ubisoft world approach is a disappointment, strange they still do this after BOTW came out, but hopefully the parkour system and overall high movement speed will help with that.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
This game is supposed to be kind of evolutionary offshoot of Final Fantasy XV, isn't it? Because that game was basically an anatomy lesson in clueless game design.

It's not so much that a lot of it was pretty bad, though I think it was, it's that you could see exactly were budget cuts were made, time to actually finish and polish up setpieces ran out and weird decisions were made that feel like they should have been vetoed as soon as they were proposed. Just, take that combat system. The series first foray into action combat in a mainline game and it's this weird oddity were attacking and dodging are based around holding the buttons, rather than pressing them. It's the sort of thing that makes you wonder if the developers have ever played an action rpg before.

If Forspoken presents an attempt to refine FF XV's core ideas... power to them, but where do you start, you know? There sure are salvageable ideas in there, it's not as intrinsically misguided as FF XIII's core concept (a turn based JRPG, structured like a linear cinematic action game, seriously, what the hell) but likewise you have to sieve through a lot of dirt to find a few traces of fold.

I find it hard to be optimistic for Forsaken. The protagonist is extremely cute, I guess.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
It's not nearly as impressive as I expected based off the trailers, but i could have been distracted by the awkward controls and the cuff talking too much.
I didn't get the hype for this one to begin with. And I swear I got to a bit where they were self aware about how pointless it was just killing the random enemies.

I know most games on modern consoles do that, or bump up the frame rate and resolution for backwards compatible games. For a company like Square though, my problem is that it's inexcusable. They expect people to pay $70 to this. If all you have going for is pretty graphics or particle effects with either bad gameplay decisions or really limited game design, then you're just making another The Order: 1886.
Honestly it doesn't even look that pretty. A lot of the effects look more like visual clutter than anything else.
Even Sony's 1st party games ain't worth $70+.
Oh yeah, this isn't even worth $60 or $50. I'd maybe pay $30 max for this, and even then I'd feel like I should pay $20. Only first party game I'd very hesitantly pay $70 for and at launch would be Ghost of Tsushima, and that's because I'm a fuckin weeb.

But I got it for $50 so fuck Sony.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Honestly it doesn't even look that pretty. A lot of the effects look more like visual clutter than anything else.
I was actually throwing shade at Callisto Protocol. But yeah, the particles in Forspoken look distracting and ugly.

But I got it for $50 so fuck Sony.
Ironic, because Sony was the one who made it mandatory for 5th and 6th generation CD games to be $50. Which many from all sides of gaming didn't have a problem with, because before that point, all games varied in price because cartridges were expensive as fuck. Then Microsoft released the Xbox 360 and upped the price by $10 more and Sony and the rest followed suit. I called bull crap back in 2005 and 2006, and it's still bullcrap now.

Reactions: Leg End

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Actually got done playing the demo right now. My take is much more optimistic. I think Square is really trying to find their niche in combat and while things can be very visual it does feel like it come at the expense of combat at times. But when things works it works. When I first started it felt like I was just swinging at the fences learning what enemies are weak to what and proceeded to murk them. Then ran into the first mid boss and instead of whacking I took the ran away from the charge up and distance is sometimes a good thing approach. Once the demo ended I thought it was kind of cute instead of just going to title screen it said hey there is strong enemy in that direction. Boss enemy gave me my first death in the game and made me look over the weaknesses and had to develop tactics. One of your fire magic is basically making a ring of fire that increases your attacks with in causing this risk and reward strat that I almost won until I ran out of health and at critical health so I booked it.

Visually its fine and its pretty. Now right now in terms of best looking PS5 game that goes to Rift Apart or Forbidden West and we can box about it later. This game its pretty tried both of the visual performance and I can not complain. I guess my poor man eyes feels like this peak prettiness game will probably get and right now art design and aesthetics have to carry the day. In that respect Forbidden West world while empty does feel like untamed landscape this one gets the job done and you get reward going off the beaten path at least but nothing making you go wow.

I did like the character in the hud actually your cloak upgrades, and you can power up your spell and stats with the kind nail polish or design you put on. I caught myself trying to scour for material and upgrades forgetting its demo and I can only due so much so credit to you Forspoken you got me.

Now the banter was fine and I think the chemistry is decent and if devs can just figure out how to pace it just right hopefully it won't get grating to people. But I am the kind of guy who loves my pawn chatter from Dragons Dogma so most chatter does not bother me.

My view of Forspoken so far is that its not going to rock the world but if you can catch it 20 dollars off go ahead but I don't think it will be waste of a full price purchase.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
I like her attire a lot.

Performance mode is defo the preferred way forward, but still needs the kinda polish a game that isn't out yet needs. They do just throw a whole load of powers and their unintuitive buttons at you though. Thought the voice actor for Cuff was Richard E. Grant at first, but apparently is just Jonathan Cake.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The Game Awards has unleashed a few demo's on us as well as discounts on games featured and a slew of pre-orders now available. But the one thing that grabbed me from that was the Forespoken Demo. A lot of people had reservations about this game due to the cringy trailer that drops a while back, and the game delayed from August 22 to Jan 23, things haven't been pointing to this being as grand as they want us to believe.

Those of you who don't have a PS5 don't worry, you aren't missing anything. This game is rough, at least the demo is rough.

First problem is that the control scheme is rather clunky and a hassle. Namely you have several spells to choose from that come in two schools of spell. There are melee spells which basically give you a fire sword and ranged spells that allow you to cast earth spells which basically just shoot rocks at things. To swap spell "schools" you hold L1 and R1 and then use the right stick to highlight which school you want active. Then each school has 3 attacks and you switch by hold R1 and using the right stick to again pick the spell. Then attacking is simply spamming R2 for quick attacks or holding R2 for heavy attacks. R3 will lock-on to enemies but there is also a Arkham-style soft lock on that will jump you to enemies you are pointing at automatically and locking on only seems useful for bigger fights which require you to dodge in and out of attack range.

This combat is clunky, as R2 is not a great button to spam especially since the face buttons don't do much as circle dodges, x jumps, and triangle picks up items and interacts with things. I dont think square does anything so attack would have been better to be here.

The combat also has a problem in that the particle effects are nonsense and crazy, to the point where the game struggles to maintain 30FPS. Yeah this big PS5 demo runs at 30FPS not 60 and it looks crap because of it. The whole game feels juttery because of this, and combat is worse because of the spells being so particle heavy. Enemies also have tiny, thin little health bars which make it hard to see when you beat them. Overall combat feels floaty, sluggish, and poor.

Then you have everyone's favorite problem, the Ubisoft open world problem. Forspoken's map is littered with tons of markers and crap to do, from puzzle chests, to photo spots, to little camps and bases to attack, time challenges, fast travel towers (that you don't have to climb), and even just treasure chests marked on the map. Of course you can pick flowers and enemies drop materials used to craft upgrades to your cloak (aka your armor) and your necklace which powers up your spells and defenses. And there are even more things like fountains that unlock more spells for you to cast.

Finally the Cuff and Faye constantly talk to each other and talk shit in combat which wasn't annoying in the demo because the demo is short, but in a long game....it's gonna be bad.

So you know...uh....maybe if you are really needing an open world game it might be worth getting. But don't expect much out of this.
So what you’re saying is a decent gaming PC is gonna eat it for breakfast.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I played for about 20 minutes before calling it quits, so not the best impression. Maybe it's the kinda game where you need to get in from the ground floor to really get sucked into the world and gameplay. But so far the gameplay feels floaty, the combat feels all spark no zap, the characters feel too try-hard, and the open-world feels very textureless. And geez, Frey's face takes a major hit if you don't have the camera zoomed in all the way. Cloaks are nice, I guess.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Well I didn't hate it, it was alright. Perhaps a buy when cheap game rather than something to pick up at full price. The combat is a bit clunky, putting it on the shoulder buttons is an odd idea. The triggers can be a bit funny and one second you'll be doing light attacks and the next you'll press the trigger a bit too far and do a strong attack when you still wanted to do a quick attack. It would have been so much better on the face buttons, square for light and triangle for heavy. I mean, I'm all in favour of doing something different but this doesn't really work.

Also, the girl (Freya? I can't remember now) and her talking bracelet almost constantly quipping at each other like two characters in a Joss Whedon show got really old really quickly. But I suppose they had to do something to fill all the empty space inbetween walking to a new location.

Maybe they'll fix most of this is the full game, I'll have a look at what the review scores are when it comes out. But there are better things coming out in January.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

This combat is clunky,
All I could think while reading this was, "Why?" Why would they make it that way?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I think developers need to finally accept that the old way of making 3D worlds is still relevant. Stop trying to make the best "larping" experience ever and realize that a theater with props in a small space where the audience can sit down is completely fine.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
All I could think while reading this was, "Why?" Why would they make it that way?
That's a good question. I suppose it's trying to emulate the combat feel of perhaps a shooter, because one of the spell schools is basically a long range weapon so the triggers makes it feel like a shooter in a way. But that breaks down when you swap to the melee spell school and you wonder why you could just have both schools active and put the melee spells on square and triangle and leave the ranged shit to the triggers. That would make sense.

I think there also is a problem where the japanese don't seem to understand open world game design in general. They think size is what makes an open-world great (Elden Ring, Breath of the Wild, XenoBlade, etc) Too often the maps are just empty with vast distances between things that are interesting and what's actually interesting is often repetitive.

I think the only Japanese games that do open world well are the Yakuza games.