Forget Titanfall Play Hawken!

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
I played a game today that blows every multiplayer game ive ever played out of the water. Hawken. I was almost caught up in the hype of Titanfall, it does look amazing and it does have some mech combat but very sparingly. Titanfall looks like its 60-70% call of duty and once in awhile you get your Titan. Hawken your always in a mech. Ive never played a more smooth, action packed, and fun multiplayer shooter. Some of its systems remind me of War Thunder, but better. Normally I dont like FPS style games, but this is a definite exception. Why this game doesnt get more press baffles me. I also like that its more skill based, even someone in the most basic rundown mech can be a challenge if they are a good player. Im going to make it my mission to make sure this game gets as much press and new players as possible.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Its ok but really nothing special, it also got all the attention it managed to get at the time of release so there really is no purpose in making a big deal out of it now.

The best out of that game really is the scenarios, it has a very cool dystopion setting.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not actually a huge fan of mechs (nothing against them, they're just not of keen interest to me), so Titanfall gets it pretty right with mixing high speed action with slow but powerful mechs. The pilot freerunning is also fun as hell and not to be scoffed at in my opinion (certainly nothing like CoD from what I've played of both), the only thing I have against Titanfall is the player amount as I prefer the bigger battles, but it still works pretty well.

Also, everyone in a mech kinda defeats its purpose for me. Same reason I don't fancy World of Tanks or Battlefield's Air superiority mode. Vehicles and mechs should be there to pose a threat to infantry, if there's no infantry, there's not much point to them imo.

Also, as Josemlopes said, Hawken was already made a big deal out of, so it's not exactly a hidden gem, anyone into mechs paying attention to game media should be aware of it by now :)

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Hawken is one of the least inspired "mech" games I've ever seen. It's not even really a mech game, it's just CoD with a worse FoV and faster movement from what I've seen. It doesn't offer anything new at all. The mechs are merely an aesthetic decision in that game, as there's nothing mech-like about it.

Maybe it's just because I'm not really into those types of shooters. I love what can be done with mechs, and Hawken's the bottom of the barrel for me.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Hawken is just CoD with mechs and a few Halo influences. Granted it's been a few months since I played it, but that was all I got out of it. Foreign ping wasn't handled very well either.

Mechs in Titanfall actually FEEL like mechs, not some quasi Call of Duty reskin. Another decent mech game would be Mech Warrior Online (Haven't played this in months either) but that was more slow paced and technical.

I might search around Youtube later for some up-to-date Hawken gameplay, but when I played it, it was arse.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Primus1985 said:
On another note, what are the general populations of the AUS/OCE servers like? Playing on 250-300 ping really doesn't work in that game where dodging is one of the core mechanics. If those servers are normally populated, I may give it a another shot.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I just play Blacklight Retribution. I don't like operating a mech, but there is a mech in Blacklight that I enjoy trying to take down. That game is too good to be f2p.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I don't know how much its improved with updates, but last time I played Hawken was incredibly uninspired and way more CoD like than Titanfall, not to mention horribly unbalanced and with nasty lag issues. So yea I'll pass unless someone wants to confirm that massive improvements have been made.
Adam Jensen said:
I just play Blacklight Retribution. I don't like operating a mech, but there is a mech in Blacklight that I enjoy trying to take down. That game is too good to be f2p.
Holy shit BL:R is still around? I enjoyed that one awhile ago (unreasonable gun part prices and iffy balance in objective modes aside) but it seemed like it was falling into the pay2win trap and the player base was dwindling. How is it now?

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Hawken is one of the least inspired "mech" games I've ever seen. It's not even really a mech game, it's just CoD with a worse FoV and faster movement from what I've seen. It doesn't offer anything new at all. The mechs are merely an aesthetic decision in that game, as there's nothing mech-like about it.

Maybe it's just because I'm not really into those types of shooters. I love what can be done with mechs, and Hawken's the bottom of the barrel for me.
Prettymuch this.^

In closed beta, The game felt slower, clunkier... More like an actual mech. But they've gutted that and there never was any ability to custom build your mech. Yeah, you can do aesthetics, but that's not what we're talking here. I'm talking functionally.

You get a choice between one of three secondary weapons. Horray. >.>

I will give Hawken this though. The game is fucking pretty. Absolutely beautiful. I love it's looks.

While they did go for something faster paced, It's not as fast as Phantom Crash. In my eyes, PCrash, for it's outright awful story and slightly funky controls, is the best Mech game I've come across. If you can't customize your mech from the ground up, it's not a good mech game. And you could do that in PCrash. Spider legs? Arm weapons and shoulder weapons? What more could you want? How about the ability to change your goddamn targeting chip?

Too bad that's for the 1st generation Xbox.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
major_chaos said:
I don't know how much its improved with updates, but last time I played Hawken was incredibly uninspired and way more CoD like than Titanfall, not to mention horribly unbalanced and with nasty lag issues. So yea I'll pass unless someone wants to confirm that massive improvements have been made.
Adam Jensen said:
Holy shit BL:R is still around? I enjoyed that one awhile ago (unreasonable gun part prices and iffy balance in objective modes aside) but it seemed like it was falling into the pay2win trap and the player base was dwindling. How is it now?
I haven't played it in a while. But it's there to scratch that cyberpunk fps itch when I get it.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Sorry, but HAWKEN is dying, and rightly so IMO.

I tried the closed beta, it couldn't keep me or my friends interested for more than a month.
I tried it again this year, same result.

It's too confined. You don't really tune your mech so much as you grind to equip a standard set of Internals and Actives; most of which are insignificant to the point of being worthless.

The mechs don't feel much like mechs either; even the C-Class heavies melt way too fast.
Though I do love the junkyard-esque design.

Everything else (that isn't match-grind) is HORRIBLY overpriced. Though I suppose that's the only way they make money: exploiting the few big spenders in lieu of many little ones. Given the direction HAWKEN went, I'm glad I didn't spend a dime on it.

Though the loss is of little consequence to me; outside of these always-online multiplayer games, the mech genre is dead.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I really hate the matchmaking system in this game: I'm either curb stomping the competition or I'm getting anally raped by even the noobiest of players. There is almost no in-between. Also, obtaining HC (Hawken Points) takes far too long; even the winners are getting jack shit, even with a booster.

Jadwick

Jan 4, 2013
I'm going to be that guy,

closed beta was enjoyable community-wise, even losing in a match still felt like you were playing in a team.

Now that it's open for free-to-play every match is filled with trolls.

Uninstalled, haven't played since.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I played about two rounds of Hawken then uninstalled because I got bored very quickly. It just did nothing for me, it felt like I was playing BF only in a mech. Titanfall has two very different types of combat, both I find enjoyable. I'd rather pay sixty bucks for Titanfall over nothing for Hawken.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Sorry to add to almost everyone above me in ripping on this game, but I played a few rounds a couple of months back and A: the latency was disgusting; my own internet is excellent so it has nothing to do with me and everything to do with the quality of their service to the UK.

B: It was like Phantom Crash on the old XBOX, just *not as good*.

And finally C: I prefer my mechs to be more Zone of the Enders / Battletech, rather than Heavy Gear / Phantom Crash anyway.

1/10. Would not install again.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
I have no opinion on Hawken though I heard it can be fun but I do have some opinions on Titanfall. Titanfall was fun for about 2 months; during that time period, I hit gen 7 lv 50 (means i reset level 6 times and hit 50 again) and found the game to hold my attention with tense freeruning mixed with mech combat. However, the weapons didn't feel right for the setting in my mind; they felt too normal for a setting that has mechs and the like. In addiiton, the game can get dull after a while once you know the basic pattern of how people will run, deploy and attack

In addition, while the mech portion was fun, as a anime fan, it felt slow compaired to the mech game I hold up as the best of mech combat

Is it a bit like compairing apples to oranges? Yes but when I hear mech, I really want to fly around, bit drones causing chaos in the enemy ranks and just utter destruction.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Am I really the only one here who likes Hawken? Seriously? Maybe I'm just blind cause I love mech games. But I've had an absolute blast with this game at times. Though, it does have a lot of problems, I have to admit

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Vrach said:
I'm not actually a huge fan of mechs (nothing against them, they're just not of keen interest to me), so Titanfall gets it pretty right with mixing high speed action with slow but powerful mechs.
Ever been in a Stryder? DASH CORE WHEEEEEEEEE!

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Denamic said:
Vrach said:
I'm not actually a huge fan of mechs (nothing against them, they're just not of keen interest to me), so Titanfall gets it pretty right with mixing high speed action with slow but powerful mechs.
Ever been in a Stryder? DASH CORE WHEEEEEEEEE!
Meh, my Atlas does me just fine, I like my damage :D

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Primus1985 said:
Titanfall looks like its 60-70% call of duty and once in awhile you get your Titan. Hawken your always in a mech. Ive never played a more smooth, action packed, and fun multiplayer shooter. Some of its systems remind me of War Thunder, but better. Normally I dont like FPS style games, but this is a definite exception. Why this game doesnt get more press baffles me. I also like that its more skill based, even someone in the most basic rundown mech can be a challenge if they are a good player. Im going to make it my mission to make sure this game gets as much press and new players as possible.
Are you white knighting an indie game? Amateur.

You need to go for the even more OBSCURE shit if you're gonna do that.

Also, you're false. Does Hawken have Parkour? Didn't think so. Just because it's an FPS with humans doesn't mean its fucking CoD. If anything it's more mirrors edge.

Also, still enjoying Titanfall.