Forgotten Gems Of Gaming.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
You know - those older games that nobody you know seemed to play much but really, really should?

For me:
- Cyberstorm. Probably one of the best mech games made. Wonderfully complex, insanely addictive.

- One Must Fall 2097. The best fighter ever made. Decades ahead of it's time. Only now are fighting games catching onto the idea that they don't have to be 2 player games only.

- Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption. Solid story, well acted, fun as hell.

- Turok 2 (PC version). Hard as hell to find. Amazing graphics for the time, some of the coolest weapons ever conceived. Brilliant boss fights, incredible but different kind of shooter.

- Soulbringer. Bizarre action based RPG that nobody ever seemed to play.

- Raptor: Call Of The Shadows. One of the most enjoyable top down shooters ever. Cool upgrade system, great bosses, just an all round awesome game.

- MDK2. First MDK was good, second one was something special. Funny, action packed, excellent mix of puzzling, jumping and shooting. Why this never got a sequel is beyond me.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Grandia. For the time, it was a style of combat you didn't see often, and 2 improved on that. It was like I was playing an anime game, and it was a bit glitchy here and there, but the combat system was pretty unique.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
One Must Fall 2097 was indeed amazing. I still play it to this day. Katana stunlocks for days <3

I'll say I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream. A game which mindfuckery stays strong to this day. You go to places and see things in that game must recent "edgy and thought provocking" games would shit themselves if coming close to that.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Alma Mare said:
One Must Fall 2097 was indeed amazing. I still play it to this day. Katana stunlocks for days <3

I'll say I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream. A game which mindfuckery stays strong to this day. You go to places and see things in that game must recent "edgy and thought provocking" games would shit themselves if coming close to that.
Oh man, I read the short story of "I have no Mouth and I must Scream" and said "nope, this is already fucked up enough, not playing the game".

-I can't speak for the rest of them, but "Earth 2160" was an utterly incredible RTS that is still light years ahead of most RTS games that are released even today. It featured 4 completely different and unique factions with lots of interesting twists (the Aliens, for example, don't build buildings and don't really create units, but instead clone themselves and then evolve into different tech trees). You could custom design just about any unit in the game with different engines, armor, weapons, shields, you name it. It had day and night cycles that actually affected gameplay (your units had lights they could turn on at night to see further, but it also made them easier to see), and had really outstanding graphics for the time. It suffered from being a little TOO complex and having horrid voice acting, but in terms of depth and strategic options, it makes StarCraft look downright juvenile.

-Another RTS gem is "Universe at War: Earth Assault". Featured 3 incredibly interesting and diverse races (interesting side note, even though it takes place on Earth, Humans aren't a selectable faction) who were all a blast to play and played completely differently. Seriously worth the price of admission alone just to see the Heirarchy Walkers in action.

-Alien Shooter 2 (never played the first one, so can't comment). A holy crap fun top-down shooter that featured the most insane body count of any game ever created. It was common for you to kill around 10,000 enemies...in one level. Combine that with RPG elements and tons of awesome weapons and armor and the game is just pure fun.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger.

I loved that game to death.

Sonic Chaos.

Most underrated Sonic game, most haven't even heard of it.

broadbandmink

Apr 28, 2014
Starbird said:
- Turok 2 (PC version). Hard as hell to find. Amazing graphics for the time, some of the coolest weapons ever conceived. Brilliant boss fights, incredible but different kind of shooter.
Aah, Cerebral Bore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEKLa373SIw

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Starbird said:
- Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption. Solid story, well acted, fun as hell.
I bought this game on release day, being the solid V:TM fan I was (prior to the reboot... don't get me started on that). I loved that there was an option to design your own story which I took full advantage of and played quite a few games with friends over LAN. There was a lot of depth to that story creator for its time and I think was one of the first video game adaptation of tabletop RPGs that allowed that option. Overall I agree its largely forgotten in the wake of its successor, Bloodlines and thus gets little-to-none of the recognition it truly deserves.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Mark of Kri: If you've played it, you know why it's a great game. If you haven't, you should, because it's hard to explain why it's so captivating.

Homeworld: Cataclysm: The often forgotten offshoot game from the award winning Homeworld. My personal favorite actually, great story, chilling villain concept, great voice acting, awesome soundtrack, fun ships, just....a fun as hell game from start to finish.

Enslaved: Journey to the West: Recently bought this on Steam, and I'm loving it. Fun gameplay, nice mixture of combat and platforming. Great voice acting with a very well rounded female protagonist, and the dialogue is incredibly funny.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Warhammer 40K - Fire Warrior. As FPSs go, it wasn't anything special, but it had one hell of a voice cast - Tom Baker, Sean Pertwee, Peter Serafinovic, and Brian Blessed. There were lots of times that I was playing it to listen to the characters, not to play the actual game! :)

That, and the Futurama PS2 game. Again, it didn't set the world on fire, but it had the original voice cast and writers, so for the fans it was like a playable episode.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
Homeworld: Cataclysm: The often forgotten offshoot game from the award winning Homeworld. My personal favorite actually, great story, chilling villain concept, great voice acting, awesome soundtrack, fun ships, just....a fun as hell game from start to finish.
I honestly thought Cataclysm was a much better game than the original Homeworld. Much more interesting and better ship design, better designed missions, factions that weren't clones of one another, and one of the best villains of all time.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
jackpipsam said:
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger.

I loved that game to death.
Second this, had so much fun exploring and solving puzzles in that game when i was a kid. The second game wasn't as good.

Also Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy. The game apparently didn't sell well, but it's a great semi-open world action adventure/puzzle solver game, similar to Ty. Fun game though.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
I think a number of those listed were hardly "games no one played"; Syndicate?
smv1172 said:
-Dragon Wars
-Populous
-Syndicate
-Castles
-Wing Commander: Privateer

All of these games have a very special place in my heart
I don't think any of those qualify as "games no one played"; they were all pretty popular at the time.

My vote goes to Betrayal In Antara. Vastly overshadowed by its admittedly superior big brother Betrayal at Krondor, Antara nonetheless is also a good game; the developers couldn't get the rights to make a second Krondor game, so they had to make up another one, and it ended up being surprisingly compelling. Plus the tavern songs were wonderful- in some (not all, but some) of the town inns, one of the dialogue options would have a number of people singing a verse- slightly off in tone and timing, just like a real group of somewhat intoxicated people would be. Betrayal at Krondor is a better game overall, but don't overlook Antara.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:
Happyninja42 said:
I honestly thought Cataclysm was a much better game than the original Homeworld. Much more interesting and better ship design, better designed missions, factions that weren't clones of one another, and one of the best villains of all time.
Yep! Breaks my heart, that since it was made by another company, it's not getting an HD makeover by Gearbox. :( *sadness* I tried playing HW and HW:Cataclysm recently on my new computer, and they are too buggy. HW: Original has this weird bug where it won't actually build my frigate class ships, but it will use up the resources. I can't capture frigate class ships either, so all those wonderful beam frigates from the Nebula Zealots aren't available to me *more sadness*.

And Cataclysm just simply will not play...at all. So bummed out by that.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:
Alma Mare said:

Oh man, I read the short story of "I have no Mouth and I must Scream" and said "nope, this is already fucked up enough, not playing the game".
It breaks my heart that they removed the scene where you get to devour a living baby.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Star Control 2. It's basically Mass Effect 3 before there was ever a Mass Effect series and in many ways done better. Has some flaws but it's a true open world space experience where gaining allies and technology to defeat any unstoppable alien force from wiping out all life in the galaxy.

Pure awesomeness.