Former Diablo Director Jay Wilson Leaves Blizzard

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
You know I had thought he had been fired on the backlash of how terrible vanilla Diablo 3 was, as the game was a host of terrible ideas riding upon a beloved franchise. And Jay Wilson was responsible for that direction. He clearly had a firm, but stupid, vision for how the game should be and didn't take any fan feedback into account right up until release and the game was a right load of ass. From gameplay design decisions that were completely unfriendly to the players, to the shitbag of a story (which isn't entirely his fault but as the director he has say in the changes of those kinds of things). I was honestly glad to see him off the project, which allowed Blizzard to turn Diablo around with not only the console game (Vanilla D3 was way better on consoles than it was on PC), to the expansion pack which continues to be a fantastic experience.

Imagine my horror when I realized that they had simply shuffled Jay over to WoW. Look at the fuckery he has done to WoW. The next expansion might as well be called World of Warcraft: Diablo 4. The world quest system at max level? That's adventure mode. Treasure goblins that might take you to a greed realm when killed? That's diablo. Random legendaries that drop in the world with super powerful build-defining abilities? FUCKING DIABLO!

None of these things belong in WoW. WoW is a different game with a different type of audience (some cross over of course) and Diablo-loot grind mechanics do not belong in Warcraft. Not to mention the reward system in place for the "Adventure mode" World Quest system is completely lack-luster and provides players almost no motivation to even bother with them.

Jay Wilson had to go, and all I can do is hope his "second chance" on WoW, doesn't result in a worse subscriber drop off that Warlords had. I still love WoW and I want it to be great again, and Wilson had no place on that team.

Goodbye dude.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Barbas said:
Neverhoodian said:
Don't bother. Every time I've brought up the issue of editorials masquerading as news articles around here I'm either ignored or get a reply something along the lines of "just trying to make it interesting, yo." Drives me crazy, but I've resigned myself to the fact that it's not going to change any time soon, if ever.
Mods and techs share a comm. channel with [some of] the staff. The least I can do is make a suggestion, since I'm clearly not the only person this is bothering. We'll see what comes of it.
can't we just start, and stop the conversation about Bogo's editorializing of articles by just pointing at the Ethics contract that Tito posted a couple years back during Gamer Gate. where it was mentioned that 'articles will only ever have the last 2 paragraphs as a chance for the author to state their personal opinion, while the rest of the article will only contain facts pertaining to the event/source/information necessary to deliver the story' so was this public post just a move to silence objectors at the time, or was it actually policy?
where the article glances over Jay Wilson's career in the industry only ever mentioning his time with 1 company, and mentioning 1 game he worked on (just so the author can make a point), and maybe trying to save the "integrity" of the article by mentioning the 'unannounced project' but even that comes off as more editorializing of 'someone else had to come in, and fix what this guy broke' even just read the brief 'guy who people only remember for 1 game who was replaced by another guy'. even the 2 sentences devoted to wilson's future plans feel tacked on, and don't even match the tone, or tempo of the rest of the article almost as an afterthought, or a 'this section might leave to much of a positive impression so I will make it not fit the rest so it is more easily forgotten'

Fhqwhgod

Apr 7, 2015
Thinking back to the state D3 was in for the first year after it's release I can't say I'll miss the guy.