Former Home of Witness for Derrick Chauvin Defense Smeared With Pig's Blood

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
If you're going to fuck up someone's property, at least make sure you have the correct target first...

Reactions: MrCalavera

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
If you're going to fuck up someone's property, at least make sure you have the correct target first...
Are we talking about this story or cops raiding houses?

ZING!!!!

:D

But yes, I'd prefer people not destroy stuff but at least if you're going to, double check who lives there first please.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
due to the chilling effect that would have on future trials.
Isn't that exactly the point though? To have a chilling effect on testimony that might displease them? Why else attack the believed home of a witness after he gives testimony?

Reactions: CM156

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Isn't that exactly the point though? To have a chilling effect on testimony that might displease them? Why else attack the believed home of a witness after he gives testimony?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the point, though I guess we can't know 100% for sure unless the people who did this admit to that being the reason.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Real shame that anyone would try to justify retaliatory acts of any sort against witnesses, due to the chilling effect that would have on future trials.
What will we do without "experts" saying extremely stupid shit in the future? Truly, we are lost.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Real shame that anyone would try to justify retaliatory acts of any sort against witnesses, due to the chilling effect that would have on future trials.
The guy’s job is to go from trial to trial saying cops were right to murder dudes. If he’s gonna make black men across the country fear for their lives, he should fear for his. Only fair.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
The guy’s job is to go from trial to trial saying cops were right to murder dudes. If he’s gonna make black men across the country fear for their lives, he should fear for his. Only fair.
No it is not "only fair" to retaliate against a witness for what they said on the stand. It is never okay. You completely undermine the notion of a fair trial if you create a society in which defense witnesses fear for their wellbeing.

What will we do without "experts" saying extremely stupid shit in the future? Truly, we are lost.
The content of his testimony is not relevant to the fact that witness intimidation is not okay. Never has been, and never will be.

Reactions: Leg End

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
No it is not "only fair" to retaliate against a witness for what they said on the stand. It is never okay. You completely undermine the notion of a fair trial if you create a society in which defense witnesses fear for their wellbeing.
A guy whose livelihood is maintained through lying about police murder also undermines the notion of a fair trial.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

The content of his testimony is not relevant to the fact that witness intimidation is not okay. Never has been, and never will be.
He's not really a "witness", though, in the normal sense of the word, is he?

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
He's not really a "witness", though, in the normal sense of the word, is he?
This is a common misconception: Eyewitnesses aren't the only type of witnesses, and an expert witness is still a witness. I mean, it's right there in the name.

Reactions: Leg End

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
A guy whose livelihood is maintained through lying about police murder also undermines the notion of a fair trial.
If you have evidence he has lied under oath, I'd like to see it. I saw his testimony and didn't find it credible, but I also couldn't find any proof of perjury.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
If you have evidence he has lied under oath, I'd like to see it. I saw his testimony and didn't find it credible, but I also couldn't find any proof of perjury.
Lying by omission or presenting a deceptive context may not be perjury, but for any normal person it’s still lying. His job is to help flesh out a deceptive explanation of police violence regardless of whether he explicitly lies to accomplish that goal.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
His job is to help flesh out a deceptive explanation of police violence regardless of whether he explicitly lies to accomplish that goal.
Yeah, that's why the defense calls expert witnesses: to present information in a manner most favorable to the defendant. You may think its deceptive, I think it's no more deceptive than arguing that a man on trial for murdering his parents could plea for understanding on the grounds that he has just become an orphan.

To suggest that they not be allowed to do this undermines the notion of a fair trial. This is not complicated: if you hamstring the defense by retaliating against witnesses, you create an argument for future cases to why any conviction is invalid and should be overturned on appeal.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
This is a common misconception: Eyewitnesses aren't the only type of witnesses, and an expert witness is still a witness. I mean, it's right there in the name.
What did he witness?

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
What did he witness?
Please show me where, in the rules of evidence (either federal or state) it says you have to have witnessed something to be called as a witness.