Former Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe Shot

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Just to clarify, saying Abe was far right is extremely misleading, center right on social aspect would be a lot better and economically speaking he was more center left (strong intervention by the state and central bank in the market). afaik he never denied japan war crime in WW2 during his time as PM, but he did visit shrine where some war criminal are buried. He also tried to make amend with some of the asian country japan invaded, I think they signed something with south Korea and paid money to the family.

But his most contentious action was trying to move the army away from purely self defense force toward more of a regular army, which was mostly a move in case something like Ukraine was to happened in Taiwan, since under the old system japan would have been unable to participate in any armed intervention that didn't directly endanger japan.
*sigh* Fucking hell people...

Not the point.

Because the guy in those pictures is not Shinzo's killer.

It's Hideo Kojima ffs
I thought you had meant the guy in the video below that was Kojima, my mistake.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
The construction of the gun is fascinating to see when you also consider the gun debates that happen in the US because of our shootings right. Gun control should be more strict, but how then do you prevent someone from building a gun or learning how to build other things to hurt people when their goal is specifically to hurt people.

Also I am a little sad that this wasn't done with a Samurai sword.

"I'm running for Gov..."

"Sorry sir." *teleports behind you*
Show me a home made AR-15esque weapon.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I think any point about gun control is completely moot since japan as a much lower crime and murder rate, and even if Abe had a gun he wouldn't be in any better shape. The guy also had to get really close to Abe, still appear to have missed a shoot and only had 2 shoots. Anyone bringing up this as an example of why gun control are a bad idea would be a complete fool.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I think any point about gun control is completely moot since japan as a much lower crime and murder rate, and even if Abe had a gun he wouldn't be in any better shape. The guy also had to get really close to Abe, still appear to have missed a shoot and only had 2 shoots. Anyone bringing up this as an example of why gun control are a bad idea would be a complete fool.
Not that it changes your point, but reports seem to be showing the shooter hit with both shots. Abe was apparently shot in the chest and neck. That said, gun control would absolutely not have prevented this, given how strict gun control already is in Japan.

Reactions: Leg End

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Why is it hard to believe a left leaning person was the culprit of shooting a far right politician? Wouldn't you assume it just as likely if it was a far left politician was assassinated that it was done by a right leaning person?
1) Left-leaning people don't tend to join the military.
2) Japan actually has a very long tradition of right wing terrorism, including political assassination.
3) The left in Japan is, for historical and cultural reasons, politically very bound up with pacifism.
4) The "far-left" in Japan is not actually very radical. Japan has a communist party that is still politically relevant and has seats in government, but as a result it is firmly gradualist rather than revolutionary.

Just to clarify, saying Abe was far right is extremely misleading, center right on social aspect would be a lot better and economically speaking he was more center left (strong intervention by the state and central bank in the market).
That wasn't really a commentary on his publicly expressed politics, but more his membership in and the close ties of his government with Nippon Kaigi.

Nippon Kaigi isn't an American neoliberal conservative organization which advocates lassaiz faire capitalism, it's a fascist organization whose policies are a direct continuation of the militarism of the 1930s. State intervention in the economy is not an intrinsically left wing position outside of the US.

You could take the view that Abe didn't necessarily hold all these views personally and merely exploited far-right sympathy to build a stronger political power base, but the fact remains that he was very close to the organization, that he consistently promoted and endorsed its members and that certain elements of term in office can be seen as making clear moves towards the right.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Agreed. Well... I would say that it's an example of how there will always be people that will overcome barriers in order to kill people. But with regards specifically to gun control in America this isn't an event that'll produced much fruit for the discussion.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Found some clear footage of the shooting. Shows Shinzo turning around in confusion after the first shot, security trying to screen him, then him crumpling to the ground after the second shot, then the shooter getting gangpiled by security.

Link

Mod edit: embed converted into link to avoid breaking the page for some users

Last edited by a moderator:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Found some clear footage of the shooting. Shows Shinzo turning around in confusion after the first shot, security trying to screen him, then him crumpling to the ground after the second shot, then the shooter getting gangpiled by security.
I didn't know Twitter allowed you to show murder.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
He was realistic about the China vs US rivalry. He knew that if Japan didn't rearm, and amend its constitution Taiwan an ally of Japan would be the next Ukraine, and Japan the next Germany/EU. By the way, the EU's banks literally had to be balled out by US banks and failed in the Balkans forcing the US to take over, and failed in Libya.

Edit: What I am basically saying is if Japan didn't help the US with China it would be abandoned to China and would have its energy trade cut off when China in theory takes over Taiwan.

Reactions: Leg End

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Dude that Twitter embed is killing the page on Safari.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Just to make a point of this: Japan had exactly one shooting death in all of 2021. By comparison, the US had four mass shootings by the end of January 1st, with a total of two dead and eighteen wounded.
In Japan, it is statistically more likely for a citizen to kill themselves than kill you.

In solidarity with Abe's deeply held beliefs I will be denying that this atrocity happened.
Didn't MeIam say this is untrue?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Didn't MeIam say this is untrue?
Terminal blue expanded on it somewhat, but essentially the political party Abe belong too has a very influential wing that's very ultra nationalist and has some people who do outright deny (or severely underplay) the atrocity. Abe was part of that group, although to what extend it was for firmly held belief or just political play I can't really say. I can't recall any case where Abe denied it as PM (don't know much about him pre PM so maybe he could have said something then).

Abe also come from a long line of politician, some of which were active during some than glorious part of japan history.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren