Former PS3 Exclusive Valkyria Chronicles Coming to PC

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Former PS3 Exclusive Valkyria Chronicles Coming to PC

Members of the PC Master Race can soon get their hands on Sega's tactical RPG shooter Valkyria Chronicles, which is coming to Steam and other distribution platforms this month.

Early in its lifetime, the PS3 struggled to find noteworthy exclusives, but Sega's 2008 tactics-RPG hybrid Valkyria Chronicles stood out from the pack with its addictive gameplay, anime-like visuals, and successful combination of elements from several genres. Now PC gamers can experience Valkyria Chronicles for themselves: the former exclusive is coming to Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/] and other distribution services on November 11.

Valkyria Chronicles struggled for the first few months after its release despite western audiences [http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/valkyria-chronicles].

With Valkyria Chronicles hitting the PC for a mere $20 in less than two weeks, perhaps the renewed interest in the series will nudge Sega into bringing the third entry over to North America. If not, you could always try the Vita-compatible fan translation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130979-Valkyria-Chronicles-III-Gets-Vita-Compatible-English-Fan-Translation].

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/early-ps3-exclusive-tactical-rpg-gem-valkyria-chro/1100-6423316/]

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Now if only there could be a sequel that wasn't hamstrung by PSP hardware limitations and writing somehow even more anime than the original. Or even just more games copying the gameplay concept. Seriously, VC was the biggest advancement in turn-based strategy in at least a decade, so why isn't it its own genre by now?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Still the best game I ever bought for my PS3, still takes pride of place at the top of the pile to this day.....along with my Alicia Melchiott statue :3

Still wish that the two sequels could find their way over to the PS3 too, even if its only through PSN.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
WHAT? WHAT? WHAT?

This is amazing, I didn't think I'd ever see any new VC news again- even if it is just a second release of the first game. Super stoked.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
OtherSideofSky said:
Now if only there could be a sequel that wasn't hamstrung by PSP hardware limitations and writing somehow even more anime than the original. Or even just more games copying the gameplay concept. Seriously, VC was the biggest advancement in turn-based strategy in at least a decade, so why isn't it its own genre by now?
Because sega did virtually no advertising so it only sold weeks after release via word of mouth. To a company they only look at early release date sales and saw that it wasn't a success so they went for the cheaper PSP option. I agree with you about VC and it was one of my favorite PS3 games so I will be rebuying the game again just to support it.

It is unfortunate that such a good game isn't receiving the support to grow while AAA developers fight with each other who can copy/paste their generic bland games the best.

Edit: also the demo for VC was among the worst I ever saw. It did nothing to show the depth and fun of VC. Almost turned me off to the game after I was sold

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
One by one....we take their exclusives....

I heard about this game way back when, but never go the chance to play it. Lucky it came to PC. Hopefully it does well, and Sega brings over the Yakuza series. There also might be a chance for the Shin Megami Tensei games to come PC side.

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
I want the game but I'm just waiting for someone to report on how good/bad the port is. If the port is good, I absolutely will play it. I just want to make sure I don't get bitten by the hype for what turned out to be a bad port again.

In other news, being a PC player pays off again. Now if we can just get Red Dead Redemption...

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
This is friggin' fantastic! Valkyria Chronicles is a great game, and it's good to see it coming to another platform.

That being said, it probably won't be coming to Mac, which for me would make it even better, but... good news nonetheless.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
SUPA FRANKY said:
One by one....we take their exclusives....

I heard about this game way back when, but never go the chance to play it. Lucky it came to PC. Hopefully it does well, and Sega brings over the Yakuza series. There also might be a chance for the Shin Megami Tensei games to come PC side.
I want Yakuza on PC so damn bad. Sega just needs to put the entire Dreamcast library on the PC. Maybe some online mods to get Phantasy Star Online going again.

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
OtherSideofSky said:
Am I the only one who loved VCII and didn't care that it was on PSP? Played over 200 hours. Love the hell out of that game, PSP and all.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Already preordered on steam!
I really can't wait.

Now oddly enough this is the only game I bought because of a ZP review and it's also the only game I've ever bought secondhand as my local gamestop didn't sell the game anymore.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I got it pretty cheap on Green Man Gaming. Siliconera was giving away 22% off vouchers, which stacked with the 10% off preorder sale. Now I'm just waiting for the 11th, when they send out the Steam keys.

This is a surprisingly short-notice port. I'm surprised that they announced it so close to the release. Maybe Sega has little faith in it, like they did the first time around, which is weird because it was a hit after the initial release. I want to prove them wrong, so I've been telling everyone I know to give it a shot when it comes out.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
Sweet definatley goin to pick this one up. This is really unexpected though.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Nice!
I'd be interested in getting it, but I only just recently bought and completed it on my PS3 so it'd be a bit redundant.

Still, I'll recommend it to anyone interested in turn-based tactics to give it a shot :) It's a really nice game.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
Am I the only one who loved VCII and didn't care that it was on PSP? Played over 200 hours. Love the hell out of that game, PSP and all.
One wonders how we even survived the dark ages before PC gaming was so accessible.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
I'd actually like to see Vanquish. That was the only console game I'd find myself wanting to play.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I'm pretty stoked for this, considering I never found a copy for the PS3 where I live.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
"Members of the PC Master Race..."

anyways fuck yes, i have this baby in my sights, week one for sure, just need to confirm is a good port

btw a bit slow reporting this arent ya escapist?

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Nice, I'll definitely pick this up when it comes to Steam, I like what I heard about it.