Former Sony Exec Believes Sony and Microsoft Will Join Forces

The Almighty Narf

Feb 13, 2010
I can easily see that happening seeing that's how just about every other market on the planet works. There was like, what? A dozen or so companies behind Bluray? How about MP3? How many corporations did it take to get that off the ground?

Every other sort of technology out there usually has several companies working together for a single universal format. It's pretty inevitable that games will eventually go that way.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
CTU_Loscombe said:
Plus, everything seems to be moving towards motion controls, something that around 45% and decreasing of gamers are dead set against
Fix'd it for you. If you're a member of said 45%, then may I suggest a gaming PC?

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
CTU_Loscombe said:
I really dont see there being another 2 generations of consoles to be fair. Costs of production are ridiculous for a start. Plus, everything seems to be moving towards motion controls, something that around 95% of gamers are dead set against.

Agreed I raised this issue on this forum a while ago and it's certainly looking like Motion Gaming will dominate too much of the gaming market. A year ago a Sony fan or a Microsoft fan (Like Fanboy) was saying that the Wii was rubbish and gimmicky and now these companies are both following it in direction.

The Almighty Narf

Feb 13, 2010
mogamer said:
There is already a universal platform Sony and MS can use. It's called the pc.
PCs really aren't designed FOR games, though. They just happen to be able to play them, and not particularity efficiently at that (considering all the background software that's always running). It's like saying Sony and Nintendo should drop their handhelds in favor of supporting smart phones.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
This just seems to scream monopoly. Whihc, at least in America, isnt allowed. Though i have to say... If it did happen... games would either get bitchin'ly good or stupidly average.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
It would be nice if Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all teamed up for some sort of after school special, but man the fan boys will still probably be raging about it.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
AC10 said:
The thing about capitalism is that it's designed around competition. The 360 dropped it's price to try to sell more and be more in line with the wii, which meant sony had to drop it's prices to compete, etc.

If there is just ONE console they'll be able to charge outlandish amounts and never need to drop the prices. It will absolutely have a subscription fee to go online because hey, what are YOU going to do about it?

At least I'll always have my PC <3
The thing about capitalism is it's designed around competition.

If there is just ONE console they'll be able to charge outlandish amounts and never need to drop the prices. Then a new business will come along that makes consoles that aren't quite as good, but a lot cheaper. Then they'll make a load of money off of the people who couldn't afford this super expensive hyper console and will start to use the money in R&D to make an awesome console, Sony/MS will react by lowering prices to be competitive and balance will be restored.

The thing about capitalism, you see, is it's designed around competition. :p

Rofl-Mayo

Mar 11, 2010
Benefit: If the three came together they would practically have a monopoly over the gaming business, meaning they would be pulling in huge wads of cash.

EDIT: The systems however, would have lifelike graphics that would stun gamers.

Problem: The government would not allow the monopoly, and on another note, what about competition? If they're not up against anything they may not be motivated to make better systems.

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
Amethyst Wind said:
Competition fuels consumption. They might enter a merger but only if they had some other company to compete against.

Say......Apple.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin

They tried and failed once, so I don't think they are willing to try and create another console any time soon.
I can't really comment on their app gaming because I don't really know much about it but I think it's going pretty good for them and chances are they'd probably stick to that for a while.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
sony and MS? not likly. MS and Nentendo? maybe. the reason i think itll be netendo and MS is nether has pissed the other off(as far as i know) were as sony has bad blood with both.

jerrrry

I Miss Doraleous.
Oct 26, 2009
laryri said:
Liudeius said:
mogamer said:
The problem with the PC is that they are extremely expensive. If you bought a PS3 for $500 (a cheap computer) when they came out, you will be able to play the latest games 10 years and all you need to pay for is the game.
If you use a PC, you have to spend $1,000 or more to begin with, then have to update your hardware periodically if you want to play the latest games (and if you don't constantly upgrade, you have no chance of being able to play new games with full graphics.)
You can make a PC that is better than the current consoles for the same prices as the current consoles and it will last just as long.
Pending your definition of better, I don't really think this is true, but even assuming you are right, Some people can make a PC that is comparable in price and power to a modern console. The PC gaming world is not for everyone, and this has been discussed many times in many places. Most game-playing people do not want the hassle of "hardcore gaming" on the PC. They don't know or want to know anything about computer hardware or troubleshooting. As fr as mass-market gaming is concerned, a console is really the only way to go.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Danzaivar said:
AC10 said:
The thing about capitalism is that it's designed around competition. The 360 dropped it's price to try to sell more and be more in line with the wii, which meant sony had to drop it's prices to compete, etc.

If there is just ONE console they'll be able to charge outlandish amounts and never need to drop the prices. It will absolutely have a subscription fee to go online because hey, what are YOU going to do about it?

At least I'll always have my PC <3
The thing about capitalism is it's designed around competition.

If there is just ONE console they'll be able to charge outlandish amounts and never need to drop the prices. Then a new business will come along that makes consoles that aren't quite as good, but a lot cheaper. Then they'll make a load of money off of the people who couldn't afford this super expensive hyper console and will start to use the money in R&D to make an awesome console, Sony/MS will react by lowering prices to be competitive and balance will be restored.

The thing about capitalism, you see, is it's designed around competition. :p
A reasonable point and I can only hope you're right! I'm just thinking, Sony, MS and Nintendo have buckets of publishers whom are loyal to them. Either they own the studios or are partnered with them. If someone comes along with a new console and 50% of the game developers in the entire world aren't willing to publish on it, you have a big problem.

FURY_007

Jun 8, 2008
The Almighty Narf said:
mogamer said:
PCs really aren't designed FOR games, though. They just happen to be able to play them, and not particularity efficiently at that (considering all the background software that's always running). It's like saying Sony and Nintendo should drop their handhelds in favor of supporting smart phones.
.........Idk what to even say to this. Just no.
Please, don't take this as trolling, it's just that PC's have always been part of gaming, its just that before it was pretty even, games like the unreal and quake series were doing good against stuff on the PS2 and the ilk, it's been pretty equal, its just that currently the focus is shifted more for consoles. Inefficient? thats on of the PC's strong points, is that it can do multiple things at once because of the way more advanced hardware you can get, and if your comp cant do that, then you can easily close all background programs.

Imp Poster

Sep 16, 2010
I could see that happen. Wouldn't suprise me if it did.

But to take that in another step, I would like PC integrated into TVs. Monitors are getting as big as TVs and TVs are using monitor technology. The problem I see is the PC itself. For decades, the way computers are built has not changed in ways to make it easier to upgrade/build. Which, I would have thought they would for the way computer parts constantly improve at the rate they do. Couldn't there be a better way to plug in a CPU/heatsink or detach a mother board from other components without dismantling whole thing? Can we built/upgrade a computer if the parts of the computer was like an audio system where the dvd, console game, blue ray, cable box, all connected to a receiver? If one part fails or needs an upgrade, you can replace just that part. Then integrate it in the TV. Wireless input devices abound. Living room meets the study room. That kind of thing.

Apackof12Ninjas

Oct 12, 2009
On the one hand I support this on the other hand I must quote (paraphrase since I cant find the source material atm) Peter Moore from a Game Informer magazine

"I wish nothing but the best for our competitors. Competition breeds innovation and I wouldn't have it any other way"

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I think that the best possible scenario (AKA my wet dream) would be Nintendo becoming a software developer, just like Sega and it would be developing it's games for the console that Sony & Microsoft would create together.

An why not?, Apple and Google making their own consoles, battling against Sony/Microsoft's console and Nintendo one of it's first party developers, along side with Rare, Insomniac and Naughty Dog.

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
Personally I think it would be a horrible thing if they partnered into one console, like a few have said Capatalisim leads to inovation. If there is no competition then they I think the gaming industy would stagnate.

As for the whole anti-trust aspect. A lot of my fellow Americans here forget that Sony and Nintendo are Japanese companies, not American ones. If they decided to merge then there isn't a whole hell of a lot the U.S. government could do about it. Only if Microsoft would join in could they step in and stop it from happening.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
drbarno said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Competition fuels consumption. They might enter a merger but only if they had some other company to compete against.

Say......Apple.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin

They tried and failed once, so I don't think they are willing to try and create another console any time soon.
I can't really comment on their app gaming because I don't really know much about it but I think it's going pretty good for them and chances are they'd probably stick to that for a while.
Doesn't need to be just console gaming. Sony works on hardware, Microsoft works on Software, Apple works on both.