Former Sony Exec Thinks PS3 Will Struggle to Outsell its Predecessor

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Former Sony Exec Thinks PS3 Will Struggle to Outsell its Predecessor

Former SCE Worldwide boss Phil Harrison says that then console market is much more competitive than it was for the PlayStation 2.

The king of the consoles - in terms of units sold, at least - is the mighty PlayStation 2, which has sold more than 147 million units since its launch in 2000. But when Harrison was asked whether he thought that the PlayStation 3 would match its older brother's record, he didn't seem particularly optimistic.

Harrison's comments were part of a retrospective look at the launch of the PlayStation 2 by Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-24-ps2-the-insiders-story-article?page=5], which also included the thoughts of other Sony alumni like David Reeves and Chris Deering. Harrison thought that the market for the PS3 was much more competitive than it had been for the PS2. He said that for large stretches of its life span, the PS2 was the only game in town in a lot of places in the world, which allowed Sony to sell huge numbers of units. He thought that beating the PlayStation 2's record would be very difficult for Sony, and even if it was able to sell more PS3s, it would be over a much longer period of time.

A more competitive market is certainly one of the reasons that the PS3 might struggle to outsell the PS2, but I'm not sure it's the only reason. A high price point has been something of a bugbear for the PS3, whereas the majority of PS2s sold for $150 or less. There's also the fact that - by its own admission [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99737-Sony-Gives-up-on-Arrogant-Ads] - Sony slipped up on the advertising for the PS3. Marketing director Peter Dille said that the early PS3 ads had come off as "arrogant" and had hurt sales.

Even if the PS3 tripled its install base in the next five years, it would still be tens of millions of units short of the PS2's sales. What seems most likely is that Sony will move on to new hardware long before the PS3 rivals the PS2.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I think the biggest problem with the PS-3 was the shortages of them when they first came out. People were willing to endure that with the PS-2 due to a lack of options, but with the last round I think a lot of people figured "meh, I'll go get a 360". I think the shortages were both a maketing stunt, and also part of Sony's attempt to win the "next gen" video wars, as apparently a lot of the lasers needed for PS-3s were being cannibalized to make straight Blu-Ray players.

I also think removing the PS-2 backwards compadibility didn't help them much either.

Their advertising campaign was okay, I mean there were people lining up around the outside of stores come release looking to buy one. Sony needs to look at that and the ask themselves how often people are going to let them jerk their chain.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Why would he think that? Because the PS2 had backwards compatability, thereby coming with a huge back catalog of titles? Or because the PS2 had an awesome supply of exclusives, and not the piddly tiny amount of not-that-very-good exclusives that the PS3 does? Is it because the PS3 is harder to program for, on purpose?

Why would he think that the PS3 would struggle against it's predecessor?

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
No shit?

There is absolutely no way the PS3 will outsell the PS2. The PS2 had no real competition, whereas the PS3 has to contend with a console that is about £100 less expensive and more popular.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I suspect that he is right. Part of the problem was that at launch, the PS3 had nothing that really sold it, so it missed that amazing first rush of sales. Over time it has continued to sell, but at the same time, other than blu-ray there was nothing that really sold it over the xbox.

Also, it was very expensive when it started.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Guys, guys! I think Phil Harrison is actually the secret identity of popular super-hero Captain Obvious!

Therumancer said:
I also think removing the PS-2 backwards compadibility didn't help them much either.
Agreed. The article calls the old advertising arrogant, but I think the new advertising is worse. I mean Kevin Butler is cool, but the bit at the end of commercials where they say "It only does everything." How can they say that when they keep removing features? It only does everything - except play PS2 games. It only does everything - except Install Other OS.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
The Hive Mind said:
No shit?

There is absolutely no way the PS3 will outsell the PS2. The PS2 had no real competition, whereas the PS3 has to contend with a console that is about £100 less expensive and more popular.
Ninja'd. Damn.
The PS2 was kind of a perfect storm from a market standpoint.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
What a bunch of bullshit. I think the PS3 will surpass the PS2 within 2011. Only 100 million left to go.

hansari

May 31, 2009
mjc0961 said:
"It only does everything." How can they say that when they keep removing features? It only does everything - except play PS2 games. It only does everything - except Install Other OS.
Haha! Good point. That is pretty arrogant and I'm sure he'd look like a fool if it was brought up in front of him...

Sigh...oh PS3...there could have been so much more to you...

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
I think Sony learned quite a few lessons this time around. Lessons their first two consoles couldn't quite teach them. Time will tell.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I still don't have a reason to own a PS3.
I have over 30 to own a PS2.

Yeah...the PS3 might be a great wad of hardware, but compared to the PS2, it doesn't have any soul.

And this comes on the heels of them bragging about how the PS3 is going to overtake the Xbox 360 in units sold for next year....big fucking deal.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
PS3 will "struggle" to outsell the PS2? More like it won't outsell it, period.

And really, Sony has noone but itself to blame for this. They say how much more "competitive" the market is today, but the only reason that is the case is beacuse Sony allowed it to become that way. They overshot the needs of the market with the PS3, allowing for a disruptor (Nintendo with the Wii) to take it's place as the market leader. Not to mention that they made life difficult for third-party developers by making the PS3 difficult to develop for, making it impossible for Sony to flood the console with software (a big reason why the PS/PS2 succeeded).

Sony's worst enemy isn't the competition...it is it's own flawed views. Unless they change their perspective, the one that lead to the trainwreck that is the PS3, they are going to end up killing themselves in the gaming market.