FortressCraft Burrows Past the $1 Million Sales Mark

Brian Albert

Aug 5, 2011
FortressCraft Burrows Past the $1 Million Sales Mark

The Minecraft clone is the first Xbox Live indie game to attain seven-digit sales, and more content is yet to come.

Markus Persson's block-building indie hit recently topped the three million units sold mark, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for imitators to succeed as well.

FortressCraft, which was developed by Projector Games and released on April 8, recently reached one million dollars ($1,202,469 if you like specifics) in sales across over 400,000 individual purchases. A majority of sales - over 250,000 - were from U.S. buyers. England and Canada trailed closely behind.

The sandbox building game also boasts an impressive 84% conversion rate, meaning most people who download the demo then go on to purchase the full game.

"The Xbox community has taken notice of this gem of a game, and the conversion numbers prove just that," said Vira Gunn, media manager for projector games. "Just because we've hit this milestone does not mean we're going to kick up our heels and be content."

The next update will include customizable blocks and server rankings, among other features.

FortressCraft better soak up the sales while it stands unopposed. Notch's Minecraft is <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110678-E3-Minecraft-Coming-to-Xbox-360-With-Kinect>on the way to the Xbox 360, and I've heard his game is eerily similar.

Source: <a href=http://forum.fortresscraft.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1624>FortressCraft, via <a href=http://kotaku.com/5829804/fortresscraft-breaks-the-1-million-barrier-on-xbox-live-indie-games>Kotaku

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Brian Albert said:
Notch's Minecraft is <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110678-E3-Minecraft-Coming-to-Xbox-360-With-Kinect>on the way to the Xbox 360, and I've heard his game is eerily similar.
I laughed. Five bucks says that someone's going to spout off on the internet how Minecraft is a nasty clone of FortressCraft.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
What's this Minecraft game? It looks very similar to FortressCraft regardless. Surprised they're copying an indie game and selling it as retail.

Back to mining I guess.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
That's sad. That's really sad.
I mean, I'm going by demo impressions here, so maybe I'm a bit off, but the demo was awful. Not even a good Minecraft clone. I mean seriously, how hard can that be?!

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Brian Albert said:
Notch's Minecraft is <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110678-E3-Minecraft-Coming-to-Xbox-360-With-Kinect>on the way to the Xbox 360, and I've heard his game is eerily similar.
I laughed. Five bucks says that someone's going to spout off on the internet how Minecraft is a nasty clone of FortressCraft.
Jokes on you, notch just ripped them off using his time machine.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
manythings said:
lacktheknack said:
Brian Albert said:
Jokes on you, notch just ripped them off using his time machine.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
hmm someone seems to be copying Zynga's development process. Which seems to be if it is popular rip it off and sell it as your own.

aldowyn

Mar 1, 2010
So... Notch didn't SLAM them with copyright issues, and they got away with it. First XBLA game to get to 7 figures? Really? That's... odd.

Anyway, I'm guessing a lot of those are from Minecraft fans that want it on their Xbox, and once the real thing comes, people playing AND new sales will just plummet.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sober Thal said:
lacktheknack said:
Brian Albert said:
Nah, just a clone of Infiniminer.
They've already said that, though. I'm waiting for someone oblivious enough that they'll actually think Minecraft ripped off FortressCraft.

He's out there somewhere...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
From what Ive seen in the development vids from projector games, there will be some significant differences coming... sooner or later...

TheJesus89

Aug 4, 2011
I have a legal question regarding minecraft on the Xbox 360.

Since I bought it in Alpha, do I get it for free on xbox 360? Notch DID promise us that we would receive all future updates and iterations for free, if my memory serves me right.

I think that's a pretty hole-proof binding contract, if I say so myself. Legally, I think notch will HAVE to give us the game if we bought it in alpha on the PC.

Just my musings. I dunno I could be entirely wrong too.

EDIT: Also, are you sure games like Braid, Battlefield 1943, Limbo, geometry wars, Super Meat Boy, etc. haven't reached 7 figures yet?

I'm too lazy to check, but I'm sure they're at least close

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Honestly I think it's a bit of a miracle/shame that Notch hasn't sued the dick off of this game. It kind of pisses me off to see somebody become a millionaire from stealing someone else's idea.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Their sales will most likely crumble once the official MineCraft games comes out on the XBox platform.

TheJesus89 said:
I have a legal question regarding minecraft on the Xbox 360.

Since I bought it in Alpha, do I get it for free on xbox 360? Notch DID promise us that we would receive all future updates and iterations for free, if my memory serves me right.

I think that's a pretty hole-proof binding contract, if I say so myself. Legally, I think notch will HAVE to give us the game if we bought it in alpha on the PC.

Just my musings. I dunno I could be entirely wrong too.

EDIT: Also, are you sure games like Braid, Battlefield 1943, Limbo, geometry wars, Super Meat Boy, etc. haven't reached 7 figures yet?

I'm too lazy to check, but I'm sure they're at least close
The xbox version will be a copy under a different name, thus you're not legally obligated to get the game for free. This has been researched extensively by Redditers.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Honestly I think it's a bit of a miracle/shame that Notch hasn't sued the dick off of this game. It kind of pisses me off to see somebody become a millionaire from stealing someone else's idea.
He who lives in a glass house...

Sober Thal said:
lacktheknack said:
They've already said that, though. I'm waiting for someone oblivious enough that they'll actually think Minecraft ripped off FortressCraft.

He's out there somewhere...
Hehe, know what else is out there... Fortress Craft is #2 as most downloaded Indie game on XBLA, #1 and #3 are

and

Couldn't find a good English video.
WTF

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
In defense to FortressCraft, I'd like to submit this video:
With minions, FC finally has something MC doesn't: flying robot builders. This is the kind of stuff the designers should be emphasizing instead of trying out-cube Notch.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
That was the worst game I have ever bought on the XBLA. It was terrible and if you removed a bunch of blocks then it fucks the Xbox processor.

Veylon said:
In defense to FortressCraft, I'd like to submit this video:
With minions, FC finally has something MC doesn't: flying robot builders. This is the kind of stuff the designers should be emphasizing instead of trying out-cube Notch.
Okay not going to lie that is pretty cool.