FortressCraft Burrows Past the $1 Million Sales Mark

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I played Fortresscraft, it was alright, for a clone. I much prefer Minecrafft though, and will only play it on my computer.

NEMESIS 94

Jun 16, 2011
aldowyn said:
So... Notch didn't SLAM them with copyright issues, and they got away with it. First XBLA game to get to 7 figures? Really? That's... odd.

Anyway, I'm guessing a lot of those are from Minecraft fans that want it on their Xbox, and once the real thing comes, people playing AND new sales will just plummet.
The first XBLA Indie game to get 7 figures. That doesn't include the rest of the arcade

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Honestly I think it's a bit of a miracle/shame that Notch hasn't sued the dick off of this game. It kind of pisses me off to see somebody become a millionaire from stealing someone else's idea.
But Notch took the idea from someone else too!!!

You mad at him?
I did not know that, what did he take it from? Also was it quite as blatant? Because fortresscraft doesn't even rip minecraft off in the "Dante's Inferno is a God of War ripoff" kind of way where it's obvious but there's arguably enough difference between the two to call Dante's Inferno its own game. Fortresscraft is like some dude tried to make minecraft for the xbox.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Sober Thal said:
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Honestly I think it's a bit of a miracle/shame that Notch hasn't sued the dick off of this game. It kind of pisses me off to see somebody become a millionaire from stealing someone else's idea.

You mad at him?
I did not know that, what did he take it from? Also was it quite as blatant? Because fortresscraft doesn't even rip minecraft off in the "Dante's Inferno is a God of War ripoff" kind of way where it's obvious but there's arguably enough difference between the two to call Dante's Inferno its own game. Fortresscraft is like some dude tried to make minecraft for the xbox.
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Infiniminer

[spoiler+ Infiniminer][/spoiler]

Notch made it better sure, but that's just what others are doing. Better, different, that's the idea anyway. The reason Notch doesn't take legal action is that would kinda make him a hypocrite.

EDIT: It doesn't help that Notch doesn't have a finished product yet too.
There's something relevant tho. Minecraft only started development when Infiniminer stopped being supported by the publisher. Fortresscraft didn't.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
redmarine said:
Their sales will most likely crumble once the official MineCraft games comes out on the XBox platform.

TheJesus89 said:
I have a legal question regarding minecraft on the Xbox 360.

Since I bought it in Alpha, do I get it for free on xbox 360? Notch DID promise us that we would receive all future updates and iterations for free, if my memory serves me right.

I think that's a pretty hole-proof binding contract, if I say so myself. Legally, I think notch will HAVE to give us the game if we bought it in alpha on the PC.

Just my musings. I dunno I could be entirely wrong too.

EDIT: Also, are you sure games like Braid, Battlefield 1943, Limbo, geometry wars, Super Meat Boy, etc. haven't reached 7 figures yet?

I'm too lazy to check, but I'm sure they're at least close
The xbox version will be a copy under a different name, thus you're not legally obligated to get the game for free. This has been researched extensively by Redditers.
It's also dickish semantics.

Everyone knew damn well what notch meant.

Sober Thal said:
Guitarmasterx7 said:

You mad at him?
Improving on an original concept and copying are quite a bit different. This is the central argument to why patents and copyright laws are so harmful right now.

Notch isn't, to my knowledge, complaining at all about FC, so it is a nonissue.

However, saying someone "took" an idea is kinda silly. By all accounts he improved upon the original idea. To "take" it would be to replicate it without further improvements, similar to how companies manipulate kids who invent neat stuff and then mass market it without paying them.

That egg microwave tray is a fantastic case study in the matter.

Adam McKeitch

Mar 14, 2011
As far as I can tell, Notch basically made the spiritual successor to infiniminer on the pc/mac market - which then took like a pig to mud. 3 million+ copies sold. God damn.

FortressCraft, on the other hand, just seems like a flash variant of Minecraft that steals ideas from it. Though to be fair, maybe Notch has taken some other ideas in return.

Either way, in the battle of the cubes, there's no questioning who's the winner at this stage.

I'm still surprised at hearing NEW copy cat versions of those games, though I guess I maybe shouldn't be?

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
aldowyn said:
So... Notch didn't SLAM them with copyright issues, and they got away with it. First XBLA game to get to 7 figures? Really? That's... odd.

Anyway, I'm guessing a lot of those are from Minecraft fans that want it on their Xbox, and once the real thing comes, people playing AND new sales will just plummet.
No, it's the first Xbox Live Indie game to get to 7 figures - I'm pretty sure there's a few XBLA titles to have sold more than a million. There's not much of interest among the indie games from what I've seen... Best I've seen was called something along the lines of "I MAED A GAME WITH ZOMBIEZ IN IT".

aldowyn

Mar 1, 2010
Calcium said:
aldowyn said:

No, it's the first Xbox Live Indie game to get to 7 figures - I'm pretty sure there's a few XBLA titles to have sold more than a million. There's not much of interest among the indie games from what I've seen... Best I've seen was called something along the lines of "I MAED A GAME WITH ZOMBIEZ IN IT".
Oh, I see where I screwed up. I'm not on XBLA much, so I missed the indie distinction. Forgot it was a separate category.