Forza Motorsport 5 Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Forza Motorsport 5 Review

If you like realistic race simulations, this is the game for you.

Read Full Article

Rush Syks

Jan 29, 2013
Only 14 tracks? That's not even a complete season from a racing series like formula 1, which has 19 tracks per year, I think. Well, having to build such detailed assets seems to take it's toll, I guess.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Rush Syks said:
Only 14 tracks? That's not even a complete season from a racing series like formula 1, which has 19 tracks per year, I think. Well, having to build such detailed assets seems to take it's toll, I guess.
well you know what they say, 90% of a modern game is textures.. the actual game code is pretty damn small!
and well it shows. sure things are prettier than they've ever been but I do miss the mega-long campaigns in some older games!

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Really? There's only 14 tracks? That seems super low. Having loved playing GT4 years ago, I did a quick search and found it had around 50 tracks. I'm guessing there wasn't much time/resources left after making everything look so pretty. Or maybe they're planning on making more tracks for DLC.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Spaceman Spiff said:
Really? There's only 14 tracks? That seems super low. Having loved playing GT4 years ago, I did a quick search and found it had around 50 tracks. I'm guessing there wasn't much time/resources left after making everything look so pretty. Or maybe they're planning on making more tracks for DLC.
You're confusing tracks (the location) and courses (different variations of a track).

Gran Turismo 4 may have had around 50 courses, but perhaps around half that number of tracks, as some tracks had multiple course variations.

Forza 5 may have only 14 tracks, but most of those tracks will have around 2-5 different courses (not including reverse variations of each course), so the actual number of unique courses will be higher than the seemingly sparse 14 tracks.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Jamash said:
Spaceman Spiff said:
You're confusing tracks (the location) and courses (different variations of a track).

Gran Turismo 4 may have had around 50 courses, but perhaps around half that number of tracks, as some tracks had multiple course variations.

Forza 5 may have only 14 tracks, but most of those tracks will have around 2-5 different courses (not including reverse variations of each course), so the actual number of unique courses will be higher than the seemingly sparse 14 tracks.
You are correct, I was confusing courses with tracks. Googling again, the first few hits show there's more like 35 tracks in GT4. So I guess 14 isn't terrible, but still seems low.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
Rush Syks said:
I'd wager it's more because people will only play about 5 tracks no matter how many the make. It's kinda like in fighting games everyone plays as the same 3 characters online

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Spaceman Spiff said:
Jamash said:
Spaceman Spiff said:

You are correct, I was confusing courses with tracks. Googling again, the first few hits show there's more like 35 tracks in GT4. So I guess 14 isn't terrible, but still seems low.
14 is lower than Forza 4, but higher than Forza 2, which was a launch title for the 360 and should be the Forza title that 5 is compared to in terms of quantity of content.

14 tracks isn't a lot, but is acceptable considering there are some brand new additions to the series and all of the tracks have been made from scratch on a new system (rather than copied across from previous titles).

New generations of consoles are a blessing and a curse, especially for games that are part of a long standing series but the first on a new console because as the quality goes up, the quantity goes down, which something that doesn't always satisfy the expectations of fans who want everything that the previous game had and more, despite the previous game being the pinnacle of an entire generation's worth of evolution.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
The lack of tracks and cars just screams "future DLC" unfortunately. While I'm not huge into racing games, I considered this one, but I think I'll give it a pass unless someone gifts it to me.

l0lwut

Jan 18, 2013
Wait, "Drivatar"? Really?

OT: This doesn't seem like the title that would sell me on the XBox One, even if it were available in my country. I can see this series heading into near "Train Simulator"-like levels of ridiculous DLC offers. The base content included in the game is way to anemic, especially for a console exclusive launch title.