FOS RO DAH! What Shout(s) Do You Use?

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I know, I know, we're all getting tired of the Skyrim threads, but I'm curious and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
What shouts do you use?
I only ever really use Unrelenting Force. At full force it's like a super force push. I've punted and thrown SO many things off of cliffs. And it works to break up crowds and stuns enemies so you can beak on them while they roll around.
It seems like I'm one of the few who use it though.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
Even though I'm level 35 (and can probably level up to 37), I still only have one shout, I think, which is Unrelenting Force. But really I only have the first word. I kind of have to remember to use it, but I have the feeling it's not much more effective than a shield bash. It would be nice if it actually worked while switching weapons though.

I'm also supposed to have some sort of fire shout, but it's grayed out, even though I murdered some dragons since I got it, so I guess I don't understand how to activate the shouts.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Dragonrend.

Fire breath.

Whirlwind sprint.

Call dragon when I'm bored and want to mess that mudcrab up.

It works for me.

Raven_Operative

Dec 21, 2010
Currently, I only have "Fos" unlocked for the force shout, so it will only briefly stagger an opponent.

Disarm on the other hand briefly staggers an opponent and knocks their weapon out of their hand.

So incredibly handy when I get some maniac charging at me in heavy armor and a two handed great sword.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Jordi said:
Even though I'm level 35 (and can probably level up to 37), I still only have one shout, I think, which is Unrelenting Force. But really I only have the first word. I kind of have to remember to use it, but I have the feeling it's not much more effective than a shield bash. It would be nice if it actually worked while switching weapons though.

I'm also supposed to have some sort of fire shout, but it's grayed out, even though I murdered some dragons since I got it, so I guess I don't understand how to activate the shouts.
If you are on the Xbox version you have to hit X while it is selected to unlock it. You collect the souls and then spend the souls on shouts that you want. Not sure what the buttons are for PC/PS3.

I typically use Unrelenting Force and Ice Form.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I used Aura Whisper more than anything else. Sure, it isn't exciting. But it's a wonderful shout for sneaky players (I was a hunter-type player, always using a bow). I seriously used Aura Whisper about 5X more than every other shout combined. I also like that it has a pretty short cooldown. Throw Voice is fun to troll the AI with, though.

The most useless shouts: Disarm, Terror, or any shout that depends on the enemy's level for it to be effective. Whenever I really needed it, the enemy was too high level. They could have at least made it work for a second. The only people I was able to get them to work with were the enemies I had no trouble with anyway.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Jordi said:

You need to unlock them before you can use them, and to unlock them you need souls from dragons.

OT: Right now I use unrelenting force/Whirlwind Sprint or whatever it is since I run until i'm out of stamina then use it to go a little further, faster. I wouldn't mind the one my friend uses on his assassin that effectively renders almost any enemy useless against him

Edit: damnit I was ninja'd while typing

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
Got them all fully upgraded, and still mostly uses Whirlwind sprint. Just because I spend more time running to things then I do killing them.

iTwitch

Sep 2, 2009
Started using two daedric daggers (non-enchanted) and elemental fury with the 2 points in increased swing speed while dual wielding in the one hand tree. You only need to swing one but its so rapid it just go's through anyone! I'd recommend it just for the giggles, lub it!

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Probably Dragonrend. Never found the shouts to be terribly useful. I guess I probably used unrelenting force somewhat regularly.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I actually don't like the shout mechanic in Skyrim.

I find it cheesy and out of place for this fantasy game. I can't explain why as it makes as much sense as casting spells...but it just doesn't belong if you ask me.

That said Unrelenting Force is what I use if I ever use one because of the fun physics feedback you get from items and monsters in the room. It makes you feel powerful even though the shouts power really sucks.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
I end up using force, become ethereal, ice, slow time, and whirlwind sprint a lot. Ice and slow time in particular are great for those 'fuck I need to heal and I'm surrounded on three sides' moments.

Also

Become Ethereal protects you from fall damage.

So...base-jumping.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
Elemental fury (not sure if I got name right) so I can attack faster but so far only found first word. Using a two hand it helps me negate slow swings and lets me make quick work of tough enemies by beating them into ground before they can kill me though tab use potion kinda kills difficulty already.