Fossilized Radscorpian Tracks Found in Scotland

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

The fossilized tracks of a giant prehistoric scorpion have been discovered in the UK.

Scientists have found the fossilized tracks of a giant scorpion-like creature called Hibbertopterus in the sandstone of Fife, Scotland. The tracks were discovered by Dr Martin Whyte from the University of Sheffield while he was out walking.

If you were to meet the Hibbertopterus, you'd probably run the other way as quickly as you could, as it was over six feet long and more than three feet wide, basically about the same size of a giant radscorpian in the Fallout games.

"Removing it and housing it in a museum would be prohibitively costly," said Richard Batchelor from Geoheritage Fife. "But molding it in silicone rubber and making copies for educational and research purposes means that we can still see and research this huge creature's tracks in years to come."

This discovery is especially exciting to scientists as it was previously thought that Hibbertopterus spent most of its time in water, rather than walking around for prolonged periods.

Source: Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7613128/Gigantic-scorpion-fossil-found-in-Fife.html]

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
"Scorpian?"

OT: Hey, this is kind of cool. Just thank god this thing isn't still alive, otherwise I'd have to purchase one of the Vault-like things.

Wait...

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
The journalist in me points out your glaring typo in the title.

Otherwise, this isn't too concerning. I'm just waiting for radroaches.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Sea scorpions were kick ass. I'd say it sucks they're exinct but then going to the beach would involve losing limbs more.

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:

The fossilized tracks of a giant prehistoric scorpion have been discovered in the UK.

Scientists have found the fossilized tracks of a giant scorpion-like creature called Hibbertopterus in the sandstone of Fife, Scotland. The tracks were discovered by Dr Martin Whyte from the University of Sheffield while he was out walking.

If you were to meet the Hibbertopterus, you'd probably run the other way as quickly as you could, as it was over six feet long and more than three feet wide, basically about the same size of a giant radscorpian in the Fallout games.

"Removing it and housing it in a museum would be prohibitively costly," said Richard Batchelor from Geoheritage Fife. "But molding it in silicone rubber and making copies for educational and research purposes means that we can still see and research this huge creature's tracks in years to come."

This discovery is especially exciting to scientists as it was previously thought that Hibbertopterus spent most of its time in water, rather than walking around for prolonged periods.

Source: Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7613128/Gigantic-scorpion-fossil-found-in-Fife.html]

HOLY CRAP!

I'm from Fife :D

and that's pretty cool, I remember it being on a documentary thing a while ago about the evolution of humans.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Maybe it's a fossil... FROM THE FUTURE!, and it is actually a radscorpion.

I want to see the Super Mutant Behemoth bones they're gonna dig up!

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
At least it wasn't a deathclaw

Or a mirelurk

Screw Deathclaws and their terrifying ability to run faster than anything and kill anything they touch, I hate mirelurks more

Damn crabs with their headbutting and their clicky-clicky language

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Woah. Imagine just jamming along the beach and then KAPOW a fucking huge Scorpian, yes with a capital S, appears from the sea.

0_O

lewism247 said:
I remember it being on a documentary thing a while ago about the evolution of humans.
What the fuck was that doing in our evolutionary history?? 0_O

Lol on a slightly more serious note, that is one awesome avatar.

[HEADING=3] FOR SCIENCE[/HEADING]

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
You know... I'm glad we don't live in a fantasy RPG-esque world...

Because then things like this would be an every day event, plus massive spiders... and rats...

gragimor

Sep 25, 2008
GrinningManiac said:
At least it wasn't a deathclaw

Or a mirelurk

Screw Deathclaws and their terrifying ability to run faster than anything and kill anything they touch, I hate mirelurks more

Damn crabs with their headbutting and their clicky-clicky language
But you've got to admit the awsomeness of nukalurks...

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Giant Radscorpions - the most terrifying creature in a game.

I've had nightmares about them...

...and now I find out they're REAL.

:(

[img height= 300 width=350]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/d/d1/Radscorpion_FO3.png[/img]

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I thought Giant scorpians had already been discovered, but still that's awesome, just one more reason Scotland kicks ass.