Fossilized Radscorpian Tracks Found in Scotland

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Mackheath said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Giant Radscorpions - the most terrifying creature in a game.

I've had nightmares about them...

...and now I find out they're REAL.

:(

Better crack out the Gauss Rifle and pray the Stranger comes...
Shishkebab + Entomologist + Pyromaniac and go Oblivion on thier asses. Makes short work of them!

I actually have to switch to third person view any time I see one, that's how much they creep me out. Mirelurk Hunters are awful too.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Serris said:
Logan Westbrook said:
This discovery is especially exciting to scientists as it was previously thought that Hibbertopterus spent most of its time in water, rather than walking around for prolonged periods.
famous last prehistoric words:
QUICK! run on to land, the sea scorpions can't follow us there for long!

SextusMaximus said:
If these things existed today, think about the weaponry that could have been invented to prevent these things. Then again, I'm sure they wouldn't come out that often.
think about the weaponry that could have been invented in conjunction with these things.
did someone say gattling-mounted scorpion mounts?
Thinking outside the box hey? I'm liking your idea!

Darchrow

Nov 18, 2009
SextusMaximus said:
Serris said:
Logan Westbrook said:
This discovery is especially exciting to scientists as it was previously thought that Hibbertopterus spent most of its time in water, rather than walking around for prolonged periods.
famous last prehistoric words:
QUICK! run on to land, the sea scorpions can't follow us there for long!

SextusMaximus said:
If these things existed today, think about the weaponry that could have been invented to prevent these things. Then again, I'm sure they wouldn't come out that often.
think about the weaponry that could have been invented in conjunction with these things.
did someone say gattling-mounted scorpion mounts?
Thinking outside the box hey? I'm liking your idea!
I'm pretty sure a game called 'KKND' had gaint scorpions with gattling guns as a weapon, or was it an oversized crab with a missile launcher mounted to its head?

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009
Skuvnar said:
lewism247 said:
cousinletsgobowling said:
lewism247 said:
Logan Westbrook said:

The fossilized tracks of a giant prehistoric scorpion have been discovered in the UK.

Scientists have found the fossilized tracks of a giant scorpion-like creature called Hibbertopterus in the sandstone of Fife, Scotland. The tracks were discovered by Dr Martin Whyte from the University of Sheffield while he was out walking.

If you were to meet the Hibbertopterus, you'd probably run the other way as quickly as you could, as it was over six feet long and more than three feet wide, basically about the same size of a giant radscorpian in the Fallout games.

"Removing it and housing it in a museum would be prohibitively costly," said Richard Batchelor from Geoheritage Fife. "But molding it in silicone rubber and making copies for educational and research purposes means that we can still see and research this huge creature's tracks in years to come."

Source: Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7613128/Gigantic-scorpion-fossil-found-in-Fife.html]

HOLY CRAP!

I'm from Fife :D

and that's pretty cool, I remember it being on a documentary thing a while ago about the evolution of humans.
im not ffrom fife but im close.clackmannenshire!
Scottish high five!

i'm from the lang toon (Only Scots will know where that is)
And holy fuck! I'm from the langtoon!

In fact, it's Thursday night tomorrow!

Which of course means Spoons then Kitties!

And really, only people from said town will know what I'm on about.
REALLY!?!

Small world huh?

Do you work at kitties?

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Stone Wera said:
Don't you know? People evolved from monkeys, monkeys evolved from rat-like creatures, and rats evolved from giant scorpion monsters.

OT: I want to ride one of those things like a dolphin. Occaisionally sufacing for air.
Oh I suppose granted, but nonetheless it's pretty wtf knowing that somewhere in your ancestry is that ************.

Hm.

Myke_storm

Sep 2, 2009
lewism247 said:
Logan Westbrook said:

The fossilized tracks of a giant prehistoric scorpion have been discovered in the UK.

Scientists have found the fossilized tracks of a giant scorpion-like creature called Hibbertopterus in the sandstone of Fife, Scotland. The tracks were discovered by Dr Martin Whyte from the University of Sheffield while he was out walking.

If you were to meet the Hibbertopterus, you'd probably run the other way as quickly as you could, as it was over six feet long and more than three feet wide, basically about the same size of a giant radscorpian in the Fallout games.

"Removing it and housing it in a museum would be prohibitively costly," said Richard Batchelor from Geoheritage Fife. "But molding it in silicone rubber and making copies for educational and research purposes means that we can still see and research this huge creature's tracks in years to come."

Source: Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7613128/Gigantic-scorpion-fossil-found-in-Fife.html]

HOLY CRAP!

and that's pretty cool, I remember it being on a documentary thing a while ago about the evolution of humans.

I'm just outside St Andrews,so atm I keeping vigilant for big scary scorpions ....

nope no red ticks on my compass

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009
Skuvnar said:
lewism247 said:
Skuvnar said:
lewism247 said:
cousinletsgobowling said:
lewism247 said:
Logan Westbrook said:

HOLY CRAP!

I'm just outside St Andrews,so atm I keeping vigilant for big scary scorpions ....

nope no red ticks on my compass
That's what they want you to think

LazerFX

Driver
Sep 10, 2008
RebellionXXI said:
That's interesting; I thought there was a size limit to creatures with exoskeletons because an exoskeleton can't support the weight of a large animal. Maybe these creatures had some combination exo-endo skeleton. Weird.
Actually, the limit is the amount of oxygen in the air. See, Exoskeletal creatures breath via spiracles, some just acting as direct blood-air respiratory exchange processes, others (Such as in Scorpions, Spiders and other Arachnids) through somewhat more advanced "Book Lungs", which are a variant of the gill method of breathing. This means that there's no 'breathing', or muscular contractions resulting in the inhalation and expulsion of air. This (And various other things) mean that these are not as efficient as "proper" mammalian lung systems, and act as an effective limit on the size of the animal.

It's the reverse square law - if something gets twice as big, it needs four times the oxygen... In the sort of times these creatures prevailed, there was far more flora around, temperatures were generally slightly higher, and there was less carbon dioxide in the air - this mean that the atmospheric oxygen content could have been up to double or triple what it is now... so larger arachnids could survive.

This also means there was probably giant spiders as well ;)

ScruffyTheJanitor

Jul 17, 2009
Hmmm... Scotland has no natural predators, but if this is still alive today, it's a little overkill.... almost a pity that it's just a fossil, I do like the image of a kilt clad nutcase with a claymore fighting off the thing.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
TheRocketeer said:
ThaBenMan said:
I want to see the Super Mutant Behemoth bones they're gonna dig up!
But yo momma is still alive!
Actually, she's not [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.192590-Losing-Someone-Close-to-You#6077429]...

masher

Jul 20, 2009
Cool. I mean honestly! "cool" about sums up my reaction! That is awesome. Imagine how hard and durable its exoskeleton must have been, how potent its poison could have been, and how lethal it's stinger!