Four Ways The Legend of Korra Respected Its Younger Viewers

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Friv said:
In all seriousness, several of my queer friends were actually a little annoyed with the show during Season 3 and early Season 4, because they felt that the Korra/Asami shipping was so obvious it had to be queerbaiting (which is when showrunners deliberately tease fans about a possible gay relationship, which never ever pays off). When it turned canon they were shocked and delighted. So I would argue that the signs actually are the same, you're just not used to seeing them and thus don't necessarily look for them, which causes the final reveal to be feel like it's out of nowhere.
The signs are very clearly there, Asami and Korra had more interaction together than Korra and Mako had before they fell in love, it's just that like many I didn't really think they would do it because it never happens, and then it did

Look, if it was Mako who took care of a crippled Korra, dressing her, holding her hand, wheeling her around [http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wheeling], the alarm bells would be ringing loud and clear, but because of context outside of the show's control I couldn't believe they were taking it that way

LordFeast59

Dec 11, 2014
Super Cyborg said:
LordFeast59 said:
I don't really care about Korra and Asami relationship, but the execution just feels weird, even with the writer's confirmation. Considering that both girls already having a relationship with Mako, which giving the feeling of bisexual relationship in the Avatar series feels hollow. If they done this early before, maybe I kinda get into it, just like Scott Pilgrim comic, but all I see is like an fan edited YouTube videos changing something in the last scene.

Mako's involvement in the whole series add up to that weird feeling on how the character doesn't do anything important rather than being Korra's boyfriend, with the addition of receiving a major role in season one. Even Bolin have more character development than Mako which is more weird. If Mako have a good role throughout the series like Sokka, maybe the relationship for Korra and Asami seems effective, because what all I really see is "Best Friend Forever" relationship in the end.
The whole writers confirmation thing doesn't help their cause. If I recall correctly, the writer said they were one of the first Korrasami fans (or something along the lines of that). When a writer comes out and says it like that, then it reeks of unprofessionalism. If the person was like "From the beginning, I felt there was meant to be something more between Korra and Asami, and as time went on we felt it was what was meant to be" then that would've been fine. When they seem to be like "We were Korrasami before it was cool" then that just makes me cringe. That may have not been their intention, but that's how it came across to me.

Also, if you have to confirm it in actual words, then you failed as a writer. They may have been told they couldn't have done more stuff to make it completely obvious, but if there was a huge chunk of fanbase that didn't buy it, then you just did a terrible job. If most people were doing it because of shipping wars, and not because of legitimate arguments, then I retract that statement.

I do applaud them for putting it in their, but with the way it was said, it was an idea they didn't start thinking much of till season 3, which at that point made it hard to make the whole thing believable. That said, it is still much more believable than anything with Mako's relationships between the two of them.
Lol! What the hell freakin happen to Mako, man! They could at least make him a deuteragonist for the series but I feel like the writers want to put that character in the garbage with no character development whatsoever. Every major character in the both of the Avatar series have at least character development but his character gets dump for no reason. I don't hate the character, but if they killed the character, probably for the final episode, especially during that robot scene for good sacrifice, at least he's got something there.

I'm expecting some major characters to die honestly, giving the series a more dramatic feel.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Friv said:
katsabas said:
Seen out of context, I could throw the same amount of images regarding Bolin and Mako and turn em into a gay couple. Season 1 and 2 saw them as rivals and Korra was dealing with her own problems in season 3. Season 4 took a different turn, however and had an ending that was predictable for some and not so much for others. The minute I saw the title image for the review on IGN I went 'yup, they are a couple now'.
To be fair, Mako and Bolin do love each other, since they're brothers and all. That's a much shorter hop. Maybe try using Bolin and Korra?

In all seriousness, several of my queer friends were actually a little annoyed with the show during Season 3 and early Season 4, because they felt that the Korra/Asami shipping was so obvious it had to be queerbaiting (which is when showrunners deliberately tease fans about a possible gay relationship, which never ever pays off). When it turned canon they were shocked and delighted. So I would argue that the signs actually are the same, you're just not used to seeing them and thus don't necessarily look for them, which causes the final reveal to be feel like it's out of nowhere.
Hell, I saw it. Especially in Season Four. I just figured they were teasing all the shippers. Something they have done on multiple occasions even as far back as A:TLA (remember Katara and Zuko in the crystal cavern?). When it was legitimately a thing, I was shocked. Not displeased, but surprised that it happened. Felt legit to me, though.

I could see the build up for the relationship. I mean, it's not like two people who have fought side by side in life and death struggles, both against people and the elements, supported one another, talked to each other, helped one another, and generally acted as friends for years would ever end up in relationships together. When would that ever happen?

As for the complaint that they didn't "act gay" before the finale, how do gay people act? I could try asking my bisexual or gay friends, but I don't think they would know either.

Anyway, does anyone else feel like Korra and Asami can accomplish anything? Looking back on their adventure in the Earth Kingdom Desert, they handled that perfectly. Between Korra's raw power and Asami's genius, ingenuity, and skill I feel like nothing could stop them.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
wulf3n said:
LifeCharacter said:
wulf3n said:
And it couldn't possibly be that he was referring to the fact that "relationships" in the first season were ham fisted telegraphed affairs, and that a more subtle development of a relationship was unexpected to the point of feeling tacked on at the end?
It certainly could have, if you squint and pretend really hard, because that's generally not what "violating the canon" means. "They wrote the relationship buildup differently" is quite a bit different than canon violation, as you can no doubt tell by the words being used.
Violating the canon in the sense, Season 1 shows how characters display affection towards one-another. Earlier season Korra/Asami don't perform these same "rituals" ergo they're not affectionate towards each other. Series ends oh wait they are.

The same would be true if either Korra or Asami were a man.
You know it's funny because they actually do perform a lot of the same rituals that in the past (past seasons and in the past series) have signified a romantic attachment. One of the big ones that I noticed was that generally whoever watched over the Avatar when they were in the spirit world was the romantic interest. And in the past two seasons (didn't really re watch 1 or 2) it was always Asami.

I don't know, I kinda liked the subtle approach, felt more realistic. I mean people hang out together, they enjoy each other's company, if they have good chemistry and notice it, maybe they decide to start something. It's not all dramatic kisses and love triangles and that kinda stuff in real life.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
LifeCharacter said:
Well, for one it's in the form of a question which tend to have the point of trying to understand or seek answers.
Ever hear of a "loaded question"? Not all questions are posed for the purpose honestly trying to understand one another.
Are gay people existing against the "canon" of Avatar now?
This question is clearly an accusation of homophobia, and accusations aren't usually indicative of an earnest attempt at understanding.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Korra didn't respect ANY of its viewers. Beyond maybe the rapid shippers it sold out to. And I'm not just talking about the ending, I'm talking about the series' passion for bland nothing romances with little to no setup. The entire first season was a stupid forced love triangle, the second season was...Lets not talk about the second season. I'll just start swearing. Third season was great, and the last season started strong and quickly deteriorated, till it ended with a giant mech fight for some stupid reason.

I have no idea why people praise Korra so much when it is literally sub ATLA quality in every respect, except animation quality. Choreography is worse, lore actively ruins itself, characters are less interesting and more shallow, writing is more contrived and the world is far less expansive or imaginative.

I feel like this series is falling prey to Shipper Rose tinted glasses and Gone Home syndrome: where something which is pretty lack luster and wouldn't normally gain any real attention includes something mildly subversive to gain notoriety that way. I mean sure, bravo, you showed a bisexual relationship on a kid's show. Good. But it would have been a hell of a lot more praise worthy if you actually set that relationship up at all (Which, I mean, None of the relationships in the series were really set up so I really shouldn't be surprised) and put that relationship in a high quality show, rather then jamming it in at the tail end of the last episode of a meh level show.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
inu-kun said:
Yeah, I criticize the existence of gay couple, totally not criticizing the producers pulling shit from their asses. Why not say I'm misogynist and neo-nazi as well to protect your little series?
Apparently, in your bizarro world, two entire seasons isn't enough buildup for it to not be "pulling it out of their asses", as the writer of the show said that they had been intentionally building Korrasami up since Season 3, and it seemed pretty obvious to anybody who isn't also complaining about the existence of gay people that the chemistry was there.
"Two entire seasons of buildup"

Two entire seasons spanning something like 5 years in universe. And lets see what that build up was:

1.Generic friendship banter which literally everyone does to everyone else
2.Returning one letter.
3.Blushing about a haircut.

Yeah. Yeah, a handful of questionable flirtations over the course of half a decade is TOTALLY the same as setting up a romance powerful enough to end the season with.

Have you just never read a fucking book? Do you not know how romances work? How relationships happen? THIS IS NOT ENOUGH. YOU DON'T GET TO GO FROM BASICALLY NOTHING TO FUCKING ELOPING INTO THE SPIRIT WORLD WITH NOTHING IN BETWEEN! ATLA spent 3 seasons building up to a fucking kiss; and even then it wasn't terribly well developed as to WHY they were attracted to each other.

Ironically, you are right; this relationship had much more setup then literally any of the other ones in the series. But it had enough set up to end the series with Korra asking Asami out on a date or something, nothing more.

It did not EARN the level of romance it was boosting.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
inu-kun said:
I find it hilarious that I the very first thing I said about the sexuality is that anyone who dares criticize it is blamed on hating gays... Only to be already blamed hating gays by two people.
You shouldn't be surprised when people think you're homophobic when you're openly upset about the existence of gay people.

Keep it classy guys. And yes, you do need to establish the relationship exist because the one time they hang out does not make me think that they must be gay. Show, don't tell.
Yes, never established.

Do they have to finger each other while having a wedding ceremony to make it clear that they're an item? It certainly requires a lot less being implied for everybody to assume that something is going on between two characters who could form a heterosexual pairing. Whats different those relationships, and this one. HMMMMMMMMMMMM...
Wow. Just wow. Look at all this confirmation bias. Yeah, lets just show literally every scene they have together framing it as though it is some giant romance. Except for the fact that if you've actually watched and remember the series you'd realize that literally basically the entire upper half of those images are proof of jack shit. And the lower half is literally the two or three scenes they had together spread across a dozen images. I mean, that wheelchair scene lasts like 25 seconds and there are something like 8 images of it. Thats just gross misrepresentation of the amount of interaction.

Hell, now I want to go back to the series and actually time and record all their interactions. Because I'm pretty sure she interacts more and for longer with Naga.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Piecewise said:
MarsAtlas said:
inu-kun said:
I find it hilarious that I the very first thing I said about the sexuality is that anyone who dares criticize it is blamed on hating gays... Only to be already blamed hating gays by two people.
You shouldn't be surprised when people think you're homophobic when you're openly upset about the existence of gay people.

Keep it classy guys. And yes, you do need to establish the relationship exist because the one time they hang out does not make me think that they must be gay. Show, don't tell.
Yes, never established.

Do they have to finger each other while having a wedding ceremony to make it clear that they're an item? It certainly requires a lot less being implied for everybody to assume that something is going on between two characters who could form a heterosexual pairing. Whats different those relationships, and this one. HMMMMMMMMMMMM...
Wow. Just wow. Look at all this confirmation bias. Yeah, lets just show literally every scene they have together framing it as though it is some giant romance. Except for the fact that if you've actually watched and remember the series you'd realize that literally basically the entire upper half of those images are proof of jack shit. And the lower half is literally the two or three scenes they had together spread across a dozen images. I mean, that wheelchair scene lasts like 25 seconds and there are something like 8 images of it. Thats just gross misrepresentation of the amount of interaction.

Hell, now I want to go back to the series and actually time and record all their interactions. Because I'm pretty sure she interacts more and for longer with Naga.
Dude you seriously need to take a chill pill. I know you hate the Last Airbender franchise but there is no reason for you to go bombing the forums with a novel about why you hate it.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I wouldn't call this respecting their younger viewers. I think they were taken away with how many adult viewers (myself included) loved the last airbender and decided to cater to them more in this show.

It's ridiculous to assume that incorporating adult themes in children's stories equals respect. It's actually probably why the show didn't do so well because younger kids (the people that largely watch Nickelodeon) have difficulty grasping and enjoying those kinds of things.

I'd praise the studio for playing to their main audience but in doing so they may have doomed the show by shedding Nickelodeon's core audience. While it's cool that they considered doing it, I'm still frustrated that one of the first depictions of homosexuality in mainstream animation is actually bisexuality and carried out by one of the least likeable heroes I've ever seen (come on, she had all the makings of a villain with her brash incompetency until the last season where she just had the incompetent part down). In a world where nearly all the female characters are wonderfully done it was disappointing to see a bad example being used for something so important. What's more is that it sends the message that if you're a butch (strong and brash) female then of course you've got to like other women. That's a stereotype I'd like to see dropped.

Sad that out of all of team Avatar that didn't get groupie love from Korra that Bolin was the only one lacking. Had Aang banged half of team Avatar (even just the female half) it would have been weird too, even dismissing his age. I am disappointed that something so simple as camaraderie is becoming a thing of the past in storytelling. People can't seem to just be close nigh-family friends anymore. They have to have a romantic element if writers have anything to say about it. Makes me miss movies like "White Squall" where people can just be as close as brothers without getting a chubby about it. Who was the female developer that pointed this problem out last year? With 4% of the population accounting for the LGBT community you'd think it wouldn't be depicted so frequently in media. But I'm guessing the point of depiction is to combat bigotry towards it. Which I understand. But we also need to have camaraderie. The assuming someone's gay if they hang out with a close friend has to stop. Always looking for things that aren't usually going to be there is harmful to relationships and is a serious barrier in male relationships.

Oh well. Sad that my favorite episodes were the ones in which Korra was off and incapacitated while the other excellent characters took center stage. Maybe they'll get a shot at a third series and not screw it up.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Lightknight said:
I wouldn't call this respecting their younger viewers. I think they were taken away with how many adult viewers (myself included) loved the last airbender and decided to cater to them more in this show.

It's ridiculous to assume that incorporating adult themes in children's stories equals respect. It's actually probably why the show didn't do so well because younger kids (the people that largely watch Nickelodeon) have difficulty grasping and enjoying those kinds of things.

I'd praise the studio for playing to their main audience but in doing so they may have doomed the show by shedding Nickelodeon's core audience. While it's cool that they considered doing it, I'm still frustrated that one of the first depictions of homosexuality in mainstream animation is actually bisexuality and carried out by one of the least likeable heroes I've ever seen (come on, she had all the makings of a villain with her brash incompetency until the last season where she just had the incompetent part down). In a world where nearly all the female characters are wonderfully done it was disappointing to see a bad example being used for something so important. What's more is that it sends the message that if you're a butch (strong and brash) female then of course you've got to like other women. That's a stereotype I'd like to see dropped.

Sad that out of all of team Avatar that didn't get groupie love from Korra that Bolin was the only one lacking. Had Aang banged half of team Avatar (even just the female half) it would have been weird too, even dismissing his age. I am disappointed that something so simple as camaraderie is becoming a thing of the past in storytelling. People can't seem to just be close nigh-family friends anymore. They have to have a romantic element if writers have anything to say about it. Makes me miss movies like "White Squall" where people can just be as close as brothers without getting a chubby about it. Who was the female developer that pointed this problem out last year? With 4% of the population accounting for the LGBT community you'd think it wouldn't be depicted so frequently in media. But I'm guessing the point of depiction is to combat bigotry towards it. Which I understand. But we also need to have camaraderie. The assuming someone's gay if they hang out with a close friend has to stop. Always looking for things that aren't usually going to be there is harmful to relationships and is a serious barrier in male relationships.

Oh well. Sad that my favorite episodes were the ones in which Korra was off and incapacitated while the other excellent characters took center stage. Maybe they'll get a shot at a third series and not screw it up.
You act like there was never just genuine camaraderie to be found in the series. This was respecting younger viewers.