Four-Year-Old Patent May Hint At Valve's Next Announcement

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
mjc0961 said:
Andy Chalk said:
a combination of analog and trackball
I came. A controller that can have a trackball in it for aiming? I could walk around with an analog stick and aim with a mouse from the same device? Even if this isn't the last announcement, someone make this happen and I will give you money for it.
http://revolvecontroller.com/

There. Now give me money

On topic, while I was expecting a controller, holy shit a modular one would be awesome. And it makes perfect sense given Valve's whole "you can change any part of the hardware" philosophy they seem to be taking with this whole project.

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
mjc0961 said:
Andy Chalk said:
a combination of analog and trackball
I came. A controller that can have a trackball in it for aiming? I could walk around with an analog stick and aim with a mouse from the same device? Even if this isn't the last announcement, someone make this happen and I will give you money for it.
Yes, if they put out a Valve-backed trackball controller it's gonna be the most game changing reveal. Console gamers can have PC accuracy without losing anything, and PC gamers can have couch comfort and splitscreen without losing anything.

shameduser said:
I still think it's going to be Source 2.
Source 2 is just an Engine, what can it do that's so important to /livingroom/ gaming that is worth being the 3rd reveal?
Nothing that any other engine can't.

Nemusus

Jun 10, 2013
I really hope that this isn't the announcement, although I'm practically convinced that it is. I got into the Half-life series with the Summer Sale, and now that I've knocked them over, I'm going through that phase where I'm really hyped for Half-Life 3. It would be amazing if they could just go ahead and announce it now, before my interest fades and it becomes one of those things that I'll take a look at if it ever comes out, but don't really care about. Much like the magical version of Pokemon where you can travel to every region and catch every Pokemon. Oh, if only.

There's still a chance it could happen, right? Half-Life 3 as a SteamBox(es) exclusive maybe? Oh, the suspense is killing me.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
I'm morbidly curious.
Morbidly because if they pull that stick layout, we're going to be in a world of pain. Though I have to say, the idea of changing the components of the controller needs to get pulled off well finally. What also needs to get pulled off is a controller with more buttons, as well as good ergonomics.

What I fail to see is what good a trackball is supposed to do. Where's the big difference towards an analog stick and how does it specifically help aiming? From my point of view, it's just as inaccurate, and nobody is used to it, so they have to learn a different input system.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Interesting. Also while I saw that someone posted older controllers with a similar concept Madcatz has actually done the swappable analog sticks and d-pad design more recently with the MLG Pro Circuit Controller. It was OK. A little on the flimsy side (also the stock d-pads both sucked).

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
Matthi205 said:
What I fail to see is what good a trackball is supposed to do. Where's the big difference towards an analog stick and how does it specifically help aiming? From my point of view, it's just as inaccurate, and nobody is used to it, so they have to learn a different input system.
Oh it's good, very good.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Hold the phone. There's me teetering closer to buying a PC gamepad at last; now I think I'll wait for the announcement.

If it is this, it'll need to be well-made to not feel flimsy or be eminently breakable.

subtlefuge said:
..double d(-pad)..
Eeheehee! Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
OF course this is the announcement. i meant come on, O+O looks like a controller shaped device. Glasses would be O-O.

LuisGuimaraes said:
Oh it's good, very good.

This looks like controlled by a Mouse. if its as good this could be revolutionary for console shooters.

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
Strazdas said:
OF course this is the announcement. i meant come on, O+O looks like a controller shaped device. Glasses would be O-O.

LuisGuimaraes said:
Oh it's good, very good.

This looks like controlled by a Mouse. if its as good this could be revolutionary for console shooters.
That's the whole point. That's an idea of how awesome console gaming can become, awesome input system and mods.
As well as bring the ease of use, couch comfort and split screen features of consoles to PCs. Best of both worlds.

Only point where Trackball loses to Mouse is in the physical limitations of thumb compared to an entire arm and hand combination. As you won't be moving your hand or arm, the thumb is the only thing affecting your input, and it can only cover a small area, so that's all you'll have to work with, so there's tradeoffs between speed and precision. Unless the controller has secondary input for looking around, something you can use to aid long movements while using the trackball for precise movements (as you can use wrist and fingers for aiming while using arm for long turns), like a gyro or something, in that case it'd be all perfect for the aim part. For me it'd be ideal to move all buttons to shoulders, 6 or 8 each side, and maybe one alternator each side to multiply that by 2.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Strazdas said:

LuisGuimaraes said:
Oh it's good, very good.

That's because a trackball is a mouse. One from a bygone age when the mouse had a little rolling ball in the bottom of it instead of an LED or a laser.

this:

is just this concept inverted:

Which is why that will almost certainly revolutionize aiming with a controller... and make cursor control viable, too... so RTSes on a controller might actually be viable.

I hope this wild speculation is true... and it's not too hard to control a trackball with only your thumb. Never tried it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
loc978 said:
That's because a trackball is a mouse. One from a bygone age when the mouse had a little rolling ball in the bottom of it instead of an LED or a laser.
Ive had my share of trackball mouses. heck ive seen couple used still. but they were inacurate, would get stuck and otherwise was quite poor and thus LED and Laser ones have changed them very quikly increasing efficiency. if they managed to make trackball as efficient as lazer mouses thats a very big thing.