Fourth Season of Torchwood Gets a New Subtitle and a Plot

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Fourth Season of Torchwood Gets a New Subtitle and a Plot

Torchwood: The New World has a new name, Miracle Day, and a newly announced central conceit.

Showrunner Russell T. Davies spoke to reporters on the Television Critics Association press tour about the Doctor Who spinoff Torchwood, and made an announcement pertaining to the storyline for the upcoming fourth season. If you want to remain entirely unspoiled, you'll want to stop reading, but know that the announced information only concerns the season's central premise.

In Torchwood: Miracle Day, no one on Earth will die; the planet's population will be as immortal as Jack Harkness himself. TVLine quotes Davies as announcing, "The old stay old. It's great news for some people, but globally it's an instant population boom. Earth relies on people dying. Suddenly you're affecting everyone on the planet. That's where the Torchwood team comes in." This format appears to follow that of Torchwood: Children of Earth, which featured one large global issue with which the Torchwood team had to contend.

Torchwood: Miracle Day will feature some new faces, including Mekhi Phfifer, Bill Pullman, Arlene Tur, and Alexa Havins. The 10-episode series will air on both Starz and the BBC starting July 1.

Source: Digital Spy [http://www.tvline.com/2011/01/torchwood-season-4-spoiler/]

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Ooooo... Yes! I love Torchwood. But I imagine this won't have as many nods to Doctor Who seeings as RTD doesn't have anything to do with it anymore.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Excuse me for a second...

FUCK YES WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. Should be good, right?

ThePeaceFrog

Oct 18, 2008
I still don't understand how anyone can like this show, was alright in gimmicky sort of way for a season or two, but its just so cheap and Davies is a terrible writer.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Wow, a 10 episode series, this should be good. I'm a little disappointed though, I preferred the old format of self contained episodes, with a secondary plot strung throughout the series. Still, it will be good, I'm just going to miss Ianto. And still miss Owen and Toshiko, hopefully the new additions to the cast will go some way to filling that void though.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Great. I suppose the plot will be as more mawkish than it usually is then.

There were good events in which it could've presented a mature story by not having teletubbies endings.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Yay! Although will Captain Jack actually be making an appearance? I'd guess yes, torchwood being what it is, and immortality being a factor.

Ausir

Sep 5, 2009
J03bot said:
Yay! Although will Captain Jack actually be making an appearance? I'd guess yes, torchwood being what it is, and immortality being a factor.
Jack, Gwen, Rhys and Andy will reappear.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
"Torchwood: Miracle Day will feature some new faces, including Mekhi Phfifer, Bill Pullman, Arlene Tur, and Alexa Havins. The 10-episode series will air on both Starz and the BBC starting July 1. "

Gay! Air it on BBC:A you bastards!

My problem with the Torchwood series is now that we know who Jack REALLY is, it takes away from the series. Any and all hope over ever seeing find a cure has been absolutely crushed.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Good to see my guilty pleasure show is coming back. A shame we have to wait all the way till summer.

APLovecraft

Jan 13, 2010
yay!! i loved torchwood, have been liking matt smith's doctor as well though maybe not as much as david tennant but hes pretty good

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
Kinda tough for bbc A to show it when Starz are the ones making it in co production with the bbc, will be interesting to see how they cover the fact captain jack is in space still as of last xmas dr who story though i guess they could just say he came back sometime between then and the start of the series.