Fox and Dominion settle for $788 million

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023

That's jolly expensive. And yet richly deserved.

There is a sad part to it though, which is that Fox's internal communications don't get to be dragged through a protracted court case for public amusement.

In a statement, Fox said the settlement reflects its “continued commitment to the highest journalistic standards”.

“We are hopeful that our decision to resolve this dispute with Dominion amicably, instead of the acrimony of a divisive trial, allows the country to move forward from these issues,” the statement said.

I cannot help but feel that people committed to the highest journalistic standards wouldn't get have to pay out $800 million to settle. I also cannot help but feel this is a lot more about Fox News moving forwards rather than the country as a whole, because we all know Fox is going to go straight back to flinging shit as hard, fast, and societally divisively as it can.

Reactions: Kwak and BrawlMan

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Let us remember that Fox News has had to admit in a previous court case that they are not a news network, but rather "entertainment".
I think it was Tucker Carlson who had to admit under oath that anyone who watches him and thinks he's telling the truth is an idiot.

Still, there must have been something really bad in the discovery. Like evidence Fox news helped organize Jan 6th, or Rupert Murdoch would absolutely crumble under cross.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Let us remember that Fox News has had to admit in a previous court case that they are not a news network, but rather "entertainment".
Which case are you talking about? The one where a judge ruled that based on the context of his show, Tucker Carlson's statements couldn't be taken as literal statements of fact in some instances?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Which case are you talking about? The one where a judge ruled that based on the context of his show, Tucker Carlson's statements couldn't be taken as literal statements of fact in some instances?
I'm certain it was something different, but hell if I can find any reference now what with the Dominion judgement being pretty much every result that comes up on any search I can think of.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I wish they were forced to apologies in the same "space" where they said the lie themselves. As is, I guess most people who need to know will never hear of it, or at most hear that dominion was the one who begged to settled because they knew they'd lose in court or some such.

Reactions: Kwak

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I'm certain it was something different, but hell if I can find any reference now what with the Dominion judgement being pretty much every result that comes up on any search I can think of.
There are a series of persistent internet myths that all have a common element that Fox news "admitted" something devastating in court. Like that they aren't real news. Or that somehow, the FCC has "reclassified" them as entertainment or something similar. And every source I can find comes from the lay press misinterpreting court rulings or outright fabrications. The closest I can find to this is a court essentially saying that rhetorical hyperbole cannot be taken as a statement of literal fact. Which isn't shocking, other news agencies have used the same defense in the past, successfully.
There isn't a hard distinction between news and entertainment. One can be either, both, or neither.
There's a long list of these sorts of myths when it comes to Fox. Like that the Fairness Doctrine ending somehow caused Fox to be able to operate, even though the doctrine only applied to broadcast news, not cable. And it's deeply ironic that a news company hated for perpetuating falsehoods has falsehoods perpetuated about it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And it's deeply ironic that a news company hated for perpetuating falsehoods has falsehoods perpetuated about it.
They can still fuck off and die. Nor it doesn't excuse (I know you are not) the shit they've been pulling for all these years, a wannabe God or a "messiah" for trying to overthrow the country.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Oof, that's the kind of settlement you pay when if it had actually gotten to court you very likely would've gotten destroyed.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
The sad part is Fox has learned nothing, none of the talking heads will face any consequences, and this money is peanuts for the Fox co. I mean for fucks sake Fox was lying about the settlement and Dominion just last night! They know they won because Hannity and Murdoch didn't have to testify.
Something was found in discovery that would have been the end of the Fox brand if it got out.

Reactions: Dalisclock

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The sad part is Fox has learned nothing, none of the talking heads will face any consequences, and this money is peanuts for the Fox co. I mean for fucks sake Fox was lying about the settlement and Dominion just last night! They know they won because Hannity and Murdoch didn't have to testify.
Something was found in discovery that would have been the end of the Fox brand if it got out.
Read it was around half of the profit they made last year, so won't kill them, but might make them think twice about doing something like that again. Or actually, they'll probably just tell their people to delete older text all the time.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Read it was around half of the profit they made last year, so won't kill them, but might make them think twice about doing something like that again. Or actually, they'll probably just tell their people to delete older text all the time.
Fox paying a settlement will just be canon fodder for 'Biden is a totalitarian' train going on

It won't change anything, except make Fox double down. I mean, this is a story about knowing something is false but telling everyone its true anyway

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
One can only hope that this will embolden other entities to go after Fox [News] in similar situations.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I cannot help but feel that people committed to the highest journalistic standards wouldn't get have to pay out $800 million to settle. I also cannot help but feel this is a lot more about Fox News moving forwards rather than the country as a whole, because we all know Fox is going to go straight back to flinging shit as hard, fast, and societally divisively as it can.
The other networks do the same stuff...

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Well then, I guess they've all been sued for $800 billion for defamation.

Oh, wait.