Fox and Dominion settle for $788 million

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Blame all the newspapers you want over Iraq. I doubt that if newspapers were all against Bush it would have made any difference. Iraq still would have been invaded How can you tell? Because Bin Laden predicted the actions of the US and was pretty accurate. He was counting on it to prove how bad the US is and the US fell for it, hook, line and sinker
Had there been sufficient public opposition to the invasion of Iraq, it would probably not have occurred. A full-throated invasion in the face of public opposition is exquisitely painful for a government, that's why they devote so much effort to getting the public onside. European countries where resistance to invasion was high stayed out: they could send a battalion or two in general support of the occupation as it was minimal involvement, but they would not have risked their jobs on the invasion itself.

A lot of pro-war voters did not consider weak evidence or lack of WMDs a deal-breaker anyway. Although WMDs were important in terms of scrambling a legal fiddle with the UN, the public case for invading Iraq was a great deal more (some of which, e.g. that Saddam supported terrorism, was also hogwash.) The USA as a whole had just experienced its worst ever peacetime attack, and it was looking for blood. I suspect a great number of people - media workers included - were swept up in that. Bush also had plenty of leeway as the 2003 invasion of Iraq was extremely popular with his own party (>90%), although a majority of Democrats also backed invasion. As well as the USA's heightened hawkishness is the sense that Iraq was often deemed "unfinished business" after the Gulf War, and Saddam could be safely portrayed as the sort of bad guy the USA should take down.

Then there's also the huge misjudgement that the Bush team made: they thought it would be easy. A quick and successful operation would not prove a problem. In fact, what would probably happen is that initial waverers and dissenters amongst the populace would switch to post-hoc approval and confidence in the government would rise. We all know the history that the opposite happened: despite the initial success, Iraq was not at all quick, and a great deal went wrong.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
We all know the history that the opposite happened: despite the initial success, Iraq was not at all quick, and a great deal went wrong.
The initial success was part of the problem. The military exceeded planning expectations and apparently that gave everyone else itching to stick their dicks in the pudding the idea that it was go time and any problems would be sorted out by the military... then some fucking bright spark decided to inadvertantly sack the entire Iraqi public service with their dumb-as-dogshit 'deBaathification' and threw everything into the shitter.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Personally, I'm hesitant to call the Iraq War a failure. Bush got re-elected. Mission accomplished.
It's far worse than that. The Iraq War was never about anything as small as winning an election - and besides, they already had Afghanistan for the war boost.

The origins of the Iraq War lie in the colossal hubris of the US right - people like Cheney, Bolton, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz - and their Project for the New American Century. This was about attempting to install clear and long-lasting US dominance over international affairs. They had advocated an Iraq invasion in the 1990s: 9/11 was the gift to advance that case whilst they held office. (Note that GWB was not on board with an Iraq invasion initially, and resisted them for some time until eventually persuaded).

PNAC openly advocated using the US military to intimidate areas into compliance with US policy. All that "shock and awe" rhetoric represented the ideological intent to generate fear around the world: "Fuck with the USA, and this is what you get." Iraq then was particularly attractive as a showpiece of US military might to overrun a medium size country with ease, to ostentatiously topple someone with "non-American" values, and as a major strategic target: oil supplies, critical geopolitical location, etc. By contrast to this vision, an elections was small beans.

But as anyone who has read the classics will know, their hubris invited nemesis. Iraq ended up showing the world the USA's limitations, not its might.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
It's far worse than that. The Iraq War was never about anything as small as winning an election - and besides, they already had Afghanistan for the war boost.

The origins of the Iraq War lie in the colossal hubris of the US right - people like Cheney, Bolton, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz - and their Project for the New American Century. This was about attempting to install clear and long-lasting US dominance over international affairs. They had advocated an Iraq invasion in the 1990s: 9/11 was the gift to advance that case whilst they held office. (Note that GWB was not on board with an Iraq invasion initially, and resisted them for some time until eventually persuaded).

PNAC openly advocated using the US military to intimidate areas into compliance with US policy. All that "shock and awe" rhetoric represented the ideological intent to generate fear around the world: "Fuck with the USA, and this is what you get." Iraq then was particularly attractive as a showpiece of US military might to overrun a medium size country with ease, to ostentatiously topple someone with "non-American" values, and as a major strategic target: oil supplies, critical geopolitical location, etc. By contrast to this vision, an elections was small beans.

But as anyone who has read the classics will know, their hubris invited nemesis. Iraq ended up showing the world the USA's limitations, not its might.
I have always found it funny how people think that scaring a populace will make them comply

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I have always found it funny how people think that scaring a populace will make them comply
They don't want to scare populaces so much as they want to scare regimes. Saudi Arabian citizens can hate the USA all they like, it doesn't matter so much as long the Saudi government agrees with the USA on key policy, sells its oil at the price the USA would like, buys US military hardware, etc.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Oh, I can see that Mearsheimer /pushes/ that particular line, in an interview peppered with execrable falsehoods and apologia.
Which falsehoods might those be, precisely?

That Ukraine shares a contiguous land border with Russia? That Western ability to project force into the Black Sea from Crimea, potentially threatens Russian access to the Mediterranean? That as a slavic country, with slavic traditions, language, and culture, Ukraine is (and has been for eight hundred years) closer to Russia in terms of national and cultural proximity? Those are all basic facts, with simple truth-verification.

That the Russian state (imperial, Soviet, or nominally republican) considers it within its sphere of influence, and treats encroachment into that sphere an attack against its own interests, in the exact way the United States considers the Americas pursuant to the Monroe doctrine? That this boils down to basic political realist calculus?

That the United States has, in fact, been interfering in Ukrainian politics since before the end of the Cold War? And as such, Russia considers that interference within its sphere of influence an attack against its own interests, and will retaliate accordingly?

I'm eager to know precisely what part of the international relations scholar's predictions from 2015, were based on lies or Russian propaganda. Otherwise, I guess we will in fact have to just chalk it up to time-traveling Russians.

In so much waffle about how badly the British acted during that conflict (which is utterly irrelevant to my point) you've still failed to address the core question.
A question I refuse, because it's a poorly-conceived leading question based on a false dichotomy, once again intended to poison the well and deem me guilty by association to Nazism.

Do you believe the USSR was unacceptably wrong to defend Madrid at the Republicans' request?
I believe Britain was unacceptably wrong to surreptitiously defend Franco and the Nationalists, because UK conservatives were Nazi sympathizers. Which is what happened, not non-intervention -- or "non-intervention" -- as you claim.

Of course, not that this is the first time we've heard such parallels. One wonders why you've constructed a connection between WWII, Iraq, and Ukraine, and why this topic has cut so close to home for you indeed...

Wouldn't be wasting my time if your position actually was just to not be "with Ukraine". But it ain't-- when you repeat the warmongering lines from known liars and state propagandists, and respond to any criticism of them with immediate and intense hostility, you're quite clearly hitching your horse to a specific wagon.
Keep repeating that mantra to yourself.

Especially clear when you decry the press manipulation in some countries, while endorsing it and repeating its output for others.

You're dressing up alignment with non-alignment.
Except, nowhere in your calculus is the possibility for you to have been the one deceived. Which is the possibility with far more verisimilitude given the Western media reversed its consensus position on Ukraine quite literally overnight, when Russia launched its (long predicted) invasion.

Once again, your participation here is the product of psychological projection on your part, not hypocrisy on mine.

The fact that you can find /other/ useful idiots in the West who've also swallowed them isn't particularly meaningful or compelling.
And once again, here we are with your "your sources don't matter or are Russian propaganda". Just never mind my citations are near-exclusively statements and reports from the US Department of State, US-funded non-profits and watchdog organizations, Western mass media prior to the invasion, and highly influential American academics. The extent of Russian infiltration must be great indeed to have compromised the Department of State, and transformed it into a Russian propaganda outlet.

Well, look who popped back up after I took a few days' absence from the forum. It's okay now, I'm back.

Now, remember what we were saying about lies of omission?

I mean, it's only Joe Biden, then-ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations committee, pushing for unilateral invasion to disarm Iraq of the WMD's the US already knew didn't exist. You know, in 1998. In debate over the Iraq Liberation Act, which...let me check my notes here...was passed by Congress and signed into law by Bill Clinton. In October, 1998.

...who then proceeded to order a four-day bombing campaign in which anything but alleged WMD production and storage sites were quite successfully obliterated. You know, in December, 1998.

So, why don't we dispense with the ridiculous notion the Iraq war was the exclusive product of a small cabal of neoconservatives, who conveniently found themselves in power thanks to the Bush administration and empowered by 9/11. Clinton's inability to keep his dick in his pants had more to do with regime change in Iraq in the '90s, than PNAC.

They don't want to scare populaces so much as they want to scare regimes. Saudi Arabian citizens can hate the USA all they like, it doesn't matter so much as long the Saudi government agrees with the USA on key policy, sells its oil at the price the USA would like, buys US military hardware, etc.
You have the nature of that relationship reversed: the US is Saudi Arabia's attack dog and provisioner against competition on the oil market, particularly fellow OPEC member-states. The US is entirely willing to prostitute itself for petrodollars as it did in Desert Shield and Desert Storm, whilst looking the other way with regards to Saudi Arabia's brazen, ongoing hostility towards the US and West at large.

Not that I blame Saudi Arabia. The West made the alternative clear, between the Suez crisis and '53 Iranian coup.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Now, remember what we were saying about lies of omission?
You know, in 1998. In debate over the Iraq Liberation Act
A fascinating accusation from someone who then omits to mention that the Iraq Liberation Act specifically did not authorise an invasion of Iraq. Plus ca change...

So, why don't we dispense with the ridiculous notion the Iraq war was the exclusive product of a small cabal of neoconservatives
Because the invasion was the product of a cabal of neoconservatives.

Your statement only has a whiff of validity because you've weaselly sneaked in the word "exclusive". This exists in an attempt to move the evidential standard to support your tedious Chomsky-Pilger-Fiskesque tubthumping, not because it's a usefully realistic analysis of what drove US foreign policy ...plus c'est la meme chose.

You have the nature of that relationship reversed: the US is Saudi Arabia's attack dog and provisioner against competition on the oil market
:rolleyes:

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
A fascinating accusation from someone who then omits to mention that the Iraq Liberation Act specifically did not authorise an invasion of Iraq. Plus ca change...

But by all means, go on.

Because the invasion was the product of a cabal of neoconservatives.
Apparently, it only counts when conventional troops' boots are on the ground pursuant to an explicit AUMF.

But, apparently not when US intelligence agencies infiltrate Iraq and use weapons inspections as cover to organize a coup attempt (lest we forget why Iraq stopped cooperating with US weapons inspectors in the first place), and absolutely not when US special forces deploy to Iraqi soil to facilitate air strikes.

So, we were talking about weasel words?

Your statement only has a whiff of validity because you've weaselly sneaked in the word "exclusive". This exists in an attempt to move the evidential standard to support your tedious Chomsky-Pilger-Fiskesque tubthumping, not because it's a usefully realistic analysis of what drove US foreign policy ...plus c'est la meme chose.
Since when is identifying US oligarchs' economic and political interest not a usefully realistic analysis of US foreign policy? US oligarchs wanted a war to line their pockets, they got a war to line their pockets, and a pretty penny off manufacturing consent for it to boot.

The only part of this with which you seem to take issue, is that US oligarchs control the press and Democrats as well as Republicans.

You weren't aware Saudi Arabia paid for Desert Shield and Desert Storm in oil and petrodollars?

Nor, that Desert Shield and Desert Storm was likewise the product of consent manufacture in opposition to fact?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Apparently, it only counts when conventional troops' boots are on the ground pursuant to an explicit AUMF.
Yes, because that is what an invasion is conventionally understood to be. Not espionage, coups, bombing campaigns, or all manner of other things you might describe, which the English Language has different words for because they are different things.

Your attempts to twist English in such a way is a little like waving a massive flag saying "I don't really have a good point here".

Since when is identifying US oligarchs' economic and political interest not a usefully realistic analysis of US foreign policy?
This is just moving the goalposts.

You weren't aware Saudi Arabia paid for Desert Shield and Desert Storm in oil and petrodollars?
You are just dodging giving a direct reply with a tangential insinuation. That Saudi Arabia covered some of the cost of the war is obviously not the same thing as Saudi Arabia pulling the strings. You don't have a real point.

Nor, that Desert Shield and Desert Storm was likewise the product of consent manufacture in opposition to fact?
And again.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Yes, because that is what an invasion is conventionally understood to be. Not espionage, coups, bombing campaigns, or all manner of other things you might describe, which the English Language has different words for because they are different things.

Your attempts to twist English in such a way is a little like waving a massive flag saying "I don't really have a good point here".
And your attempts to reduce the debate to semantics now that I'm bringing primary evidence is certainly noted.

"...you and I believe, and many of us believe here, as long as Saddam is at the helm, there is no reasonable prospect you or any other inspector is ever going to be able to guarantee that we have rooted out, root and branch, the entirety of Saddam’s program relative to weapons of mass destruction. You and I both know, and all of us here really know, and it’s a thing we have to face, that the only way, the only way we’re going to get rid of Saddam Hussein is we’re going to end up having to start it alone — start it alone — and it’s going to require guys like you in uniform to be back on foot in the desert taking this son of a — taking Saddam down. You know it and I know it.”

The direct quote from Joe Biden's commentary, archival footage of which I linked up-thread, emphasis mine. Even by your own shifted metrics that nothing short of a conventional troop deployment "counts", you've still been caught lying and you're still trying to double down on it.

This is just moving the goalposts.
Nah, just your attempt to play dumb having been caught with your pants down.

You are just dodging giving a direct reply with a tangential insinuation. That Saudi Arabia covered some of the cost of the war is obviously not the same thing as Saudi Arabia pulling the strings. You don't have a real point.
Saudi Arabia didn't just "cover[ed] some of the cost". Saudi Arabia helped cause the war, and then was the country to request US intervention in the first place. And, it did that to protect its oil market share after fifteen years' of market manipulation in collaboration with the US (and spending petrodollars in the US by the literal truckload), having been the one major oil-exporting country to survive the '80s oil glut it caused.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Which falsehoods might those be, precisely?
Well, there's the complete disregard for Ukraine's own agency ("this is great power politics", "this is the way the world works", he repeats several times to bat away questions about whether Ukraine should be allowed to determine its own policy).

Then there's the ludicrous bit where he dismisses the idea that Putin might go after "the rest" of Ukraine... after we've watched them attempt to seize Kyiv and depose the government, with Russian soldiers themselves attesting that was the goal, and with Russian ruling politicians screaming about how Ukraine as an independent state cannot be allowed to exist.... and then he swiftly backtracks a few sentences later, conceding that they do want to force regime change and install a puppet. But insists that's totally not the same thing as taking over. K, someone should've told the Americans that, it'll let 'em off the hook for Iraq!

Then there's the credulousness about how Donbass would become one or two "independent states". After we've now watched Russia incorporate them into its own territory, ending the "independence" farce even by Russian law.

A question I refuse, because it's a poorly-conceived leading question based on a false dichotomy, once again intended to poison the well and deem me guilty by association to Nazism.
What rank hypocrisy, after you threw up a bunch of pictures of Nazis and directly tried to associate me with them. You're deeper than anyone else here in this poisonous shit-slinging.

But sure, refuse all you like. In truth, if you were to acknowledge that the USSR was right to provide defensive support to Spain, it would blow an obvious hole in your pretence of consistency. You don't believe it's wrong to intervene by providing defensive support to a state under invasion. You have different, altogether ignoble reasons for wanting the withdrawal of defensive support in this specific instance.

Except, nowhere in your calculus is the possibility for you to have been the one deceived. Which is the possibility with far more verisimilitude given the Western media reversed its consensus position on Ukraine quite literally overnight, when Russia launched its (long predicted) invasion.
Long predicted indeed! Everyone saw it coming... except the Tankies, both here on this forum and elsewhere, who were insisting that the idea Russia would invade was "Western media hysteria".

But yes, I find it considerably less likely that I'm being deceived, because I'm relying on a multitude of state-independent professional sources, including ones that have literally nothing to gain. As well as a wealth of survivor testimony. Whereas you appear to be relying on... uhrm, what the invader says. Oh, and a few commentators half the world away.

And once again, here we are with your "your sources don't matter or are Russian propaganda". Just never mind my citations are near-exclusively statements and reports from the US Department of State, US-funded non-profits and watchdog organizations, Western mass media prior to the invasion, and highly influential American academics.
Citations about the provocative nature of US and NATO policy is not being disputed-- though there's a heavy caveat there, in that no Ukrainian government considered joining NATO to be a political priority until /after/ Russia invaded Crimea, breaching its legal commitments to Ukraine and rendering any agreements based on goodwill void.

But yeah, sorry, you've found a few critical American academics, so your case must be unassailable. A bit like how Phoenixmgs can find 3 or 4 doctors endorsing his covid-scepticism and claim the weight of professional opinion is with him, while the overwhelming consensus doesn't chime at all.

Last edited:

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Well, there's the complete disregard for Ukraine's own agency ("this is great power politics", "this is the way the world works", he repeats several times to bat away questions about whether Ukraine should be allowed to determine its own policy).
Yeah, he's a political realist. That's how political realism works. The political realist viewpoint is that there are two kinds of states: hegemons, and those within hegemons' spheres of influence. That's entirely consistent with a political realist's viewpoint.

Ukraine is a natural resource-rich state, in a strategically-important location with few geographic features to make it defensible, that shares a contiguous land border with Russia and sits on the Black Sea, that isn't in the nuclear club. Ukraine's agency is to be disregarded, because it has no agency. Ukraine's choice is to be a NATO-friendly proxy and buffer state, or a Russia-friendly proxy and buffer state. It sucks, but that's the end of the story.

Then there's the ludicrous bit where he dismisses the idea that Putin might go after "the rest" of Ukraine... after we've watched them attempt to seize Kyiv and depose the government, with Russian soldiers themselves attesting that was the goal, and with Russian ruling politicians screaming about how Ukraine as an independent state cannot be allowed to exist.... and then he swiftly backtracks a few sentences later, conceding that they do want to force regime change and install a puppet.
You mean this part?

"...Yes, exactly. But it’s important to understand that it is fundamentally different from conquering and holding onto Kyiv. Do you understand what I’m saying?

[...]

I have problems with your use of the word “imperial.” I don’t know anybody who talks about this whole problem in terms of imperialism. This is great-power politics, and what the Russians want is a regime in Kyiv that is attuned to Russian interests. It may be ultimately that the Russians would be willing to live with a neutral Ukraine, and that it won’t be necessary for Moscow to have any meaningful control over the government in Kyiv. It may be that they just want a regime that is neutral and not pro-American."

Strange you've decided to interpret this as "puppet state". Any government that is not explicitly pro-US or NATO must be by definition a Russian puppet state to you?

What rank hypocrisy, after you threw up a bunch of pictures of Nazis and directly tried to associate me with them. You're deeper than anyone else here in this poisonous shit-slinging.
I'll stop showing pictures of Nazis, when you stop denying there are Nazis in Ukraine.

But sure, refuse all you like. In truth, if you were to acknowledge that the USSR was right to provide defensive support to Spain, it would blow an obvious hole in your pretence of consistency.
Strangely, you only mentioned the USSR once I'd explained to you what actually happened, and who was actually on whose side, during the Spanish Civil War. While simultaneously doubling down on the ridiculous notion you had the first fucking clue about either. If this were actually about consistency and not trying to defame me with Bushian revisionism and false dichotomies, you wouldn't have spent a significant chunk of this thread excoriating me for thinking it was immoral for the United Kingdom to have sided with the fascists and pushing back when that was explicitly pointed out to you.

But now that you finally arsed yourself to read the Wikipedia article, or whatever it was you did in the downtime to have figured you were talking completely out your ass, now you want to pretend it was really about the Soviet Union's involvement in the Spanish Civil War the entire time.

You don't believe it's wrong to intervene by providing defensive support to a state under invasion. You have different, altogether ignoble reasons for wanting the withdrawal of defensive support in this specific instance.
Except as I've made clear, this is expressly not the situation at hand.

But yes, I find it considerably less likely that I'm being deceived, because I'm relying on a multitude of state-independent professional sources, including ones that have literally nothing to gain.
Other than access and profit.

Whereas you appear to be relying on... uhrm, what the invader says.
Fuck, I guess you really do believe the US State Department, and US-funded "pro-democracy" non-profs have been secretly infiltrated by Russian propagandists the whole time. And, that the entirety of Western mass media was just making shit up for the better part of a decade, before Russia invaded.

Citations about the provocative nature of US and NATO policy is not being disputed-- though there's a heavy caveat there, in that no Ukrainian government considered joining NATO to be a political priority until /after/ Russia invaded Crimea, breaching its legal commitments to Ukraine and rendering any agreements based on goodwill void.
So here's a video of Victor Yushchenko explicitly stating that NATO membership was a priority for Ukraine.

And another one.

Oh, and the fact Ukraine already applied for a NATO Membership Action Plan...in 2008.

So...guess we can add "former Ukrainian president Viktor Yushchenko" to that list of time-traveling Rooskie propagandists?

But that's not all! Here's the NATO-Ukraine Action Plan, dated 22 November, 2002.

But yeah, sorry, you've found a few critical American academics, so your case must be unassailable. A bit like how Phoenixmgs can find 3 or 4 doctors endorsing his covid-scepticism and claim the weight of professional opinion is with him, while the overwhelming consensus doesn't chime at all.
So considering I just linked archival footage of a Ukrainian president explicitly saying things you just claimed never happened, I think we can put this nonsense to bed.

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, he's a political realist. That's how political realism works. The political realist viewpoint is that there are two kinds of states: hegemons, and those within hegemons' spheres of influence. That's entirely consistent with a political realist's viewpoint.
Yes, the massive overlap between so-called "political realism" and imperialism apologia is well understood.

Ukraine is a natural resource-rich state, in a strategically-important location with few geographic features to make it defensible, that shares a contiguous land border with Russia and sits on the Black Sea, that isn't in the nuclear club. Ukraine's agency is to be disregarded, because it has no agency. Ukraine's choice is to be a NATO-friendly proxy and buffer state, or a Russia-friendly proxy and buffer state. It sucks, but that's the end of the story.
Masks off then, eh? "They have resources" --> "fuck what they want, we can take it". And you accuse others of employing Bushian thinking!

(And of course the reason it isn't in the nuclear club is... that it voluntarily gave up its supply, largely in return for a binding commitment from Russia to respect its borders.)

Strangely, you only mentioned the USSR once I'd explained to you what actually happened
Buddy, i studied the Spanish Civil War academically. You didn't "explain to me" shit, and it's the usual arrogance that you think you're the smartest kid in the room because your voice is the loudest. If you'd read what I wrote, you'd have seen I was referring to public posturing.

But this is distraction, because you're still just refusing to answer the question and hoping if you waffle about other stuff enough, we'll not notice.

You mean this part?

Strange you've decided to interpret this as "puppet state". Any government that is not explicitly pro-US or NATO must be by definition a Russian puppet state to you?
He literally says they intended to depose the government and install a Moscow-friendly replacement. Yes, a government installed by an invader expressly to cater to the invader's will is a puppet.

I'll stop showing pictures of Nazis, when you stop denying there are Nazis in Ukraine.
Literally never did that. You're lying, and this is well-poisoning horseshit.

Other than access and profit.
Yes, damn those non-profits and survivors, lying for access and profit!

Oh, and the fact Ukraine already applied for a NATO Membership Action Plan...in 2008.
An action plan! Oh no! Notice what became of that action plan in the subsequent 6 years? Oh... nothing. Until Russia invaded.

So considering I just linked archival footage of a Ukrainian president explicitly saying things you just claimed never happened, I think we can put this nonsense to bed.
So, assuming for a moment that we accept an un-actioned action plan, dormant for 20 years, as a "political priority", what does this indicate?

Ukraine made no promises or commitments to stay out of NATO (or the EU). For those of us who still haven't given themselves over wholly to imperialist boot-licking, independent countries are allowed to form their own voluntary relationships.

It is Russia that tore up the legal commitments it made to Ukraine in Budapest. You want the Ukrainians to do what Russia wants purely out of goodwill, even while Russia is willing to tear up legally binding commitments it made and invade? Fuck that.

Last edited:
Reactions: CM156

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
The direct quote from Joe Biden's commentary, archival footage of which I linked up-thread, emphasis mine. Even by your own shifted metrics that nothing short of a conventional troop deployment "counts", you've still been caught lying and you're still trying to double down on it.
Oh god, wading through the misrepresentation your borderline conspiracy theory dogma induces you to spout is just so tedious.

Rather than actually argue a cohesive and focused case, your extravagant and bombastic claims are supported by nothing more than some flimsy insinuations thrown in the general direction of the issue. Also, again if we're talking lying by omission, even the Intercept article you borrowed that video from is (grudgingly) more nuanced on Biden's position than you are.

When I accused you of weaselly claims, it's that you have attempted to move the goalposts from "Who caused the Iraq War" to "Did anyone else ever say something that would suggest they might favour an Iraq invasion". The answer to the latter, obviously, is yes. But equally obviously, the latter does not answer the former. No-one was even close to invading Iraq until Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Cheney etc. got going and without them no-one would have made it happen. The neocons drove it to happen because it was a specific and concrete ideological plank of their vision for US strategic dominance.

Saudi Arabia didn't just "cover[ed] some of the cost". Saudi Arabia helped cause the war, and then was the country to request US intervention in the first place. And, it did that to protect its oil market share after fifteen years' of market manipulation in collaboration with the US (and spending petrodollars in the US by the literal truckload), having been the one major oil-exporting country to survive the '80s oil glut it caused.
This is just the same shit again. It's just a childish way to approach the issue.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Uh... You already know I think Trump is horrible, what are you trying to persuade me on?

It was obvious at the time, I didn't need the power of hindsight to know the WMD propaganda was bullshit. Why can't you just admit that? How is that so hard?

The GOP doesn't *want* to do research and, unlike our "peer countries", is also banning private gender affirmative care. Just because I'm mad at Sweden and Finland doesn't mean that I can't recognize that the GOP is worse. Much like gender and sex, mad/not mad are not binary, static emotions.
When I was a kid, gay meant stupid and weird, lesbian meant girl you didn't like, and blue balls were a dangerous affliction that needed a girl to help, or are you a lesbian?

Maybe we don't leave this shit up to street smarts
Because they're usually either A) trying to be helpful instead of trash, and/or B) wildly off topic.

And you got several legit bad laws and have decided to defend them to the ends of the earth, and you're currently throwing a hissy fit because you can't actually defend this one outside of claiming it doesn't say what it's drafters say and celebrate that it does
How do you know? The NIH is in charge of funding most research and unless you have proof the GOP is stopping gender care research, then you really don't have anything but a conspiracy theory. I will go with the science just like anything else, I don't know why you're mad at Sweden and Finland following science.

And girls gave you cooties, that doesn't mean boys didn't figure out they liked girls.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Here's a perfect example of democrats causing harm with their policies. The obvious crazy one that is utterly losing the debate is the progressive trying to defend all the bullshit saying stuff like "what about the conservative voices saying worse things?" and the response is literally there are no conservative voices in NYC or San Francisco. Or when the progressive says "well, police funding hasn't been shown to deter crime" and the response is basically that you're hiding the truth because study after study says more visible police reduces crime and the funding stat is hiding the fact that money usually gets funneled to stuff like pensions vs adding more cops.

I said the ONE bill/law I finally saw that is bad is bad. How am I throwing a hissy fit, I agreed that it was bad? What the fuck else you want me to do? You're asking me to write some state legislator that's not in my state and trying to act hollier than thou when I'm pretty damn sure you didn't write anything to the legislator either. You're the one throwing a hissing fit that other countries are literally just following the known science on something and it doesn't agree with your worldview.