Fox Brushes Off EA Complaint

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fox Brushes Off EA Complaint

Mass Effect [http://www.foxnews.com/].

Blackberry [http://www.gamedaily.com/games/mass-effect/xbox-360/game-news/fox-gives-ea-the-brushoff-ea-going-to-fight-back/4743/19188]message in response to the letter telling him to contact the network's public relations department. After receiving the message, Brown told GameDaily he was "not holding his breath" about making much headway with the issue.

"I watch Fox news a lot and recognize that they tend to move fast to the next topic," Brown said. "It really stinks for the people who made the game, but I don't think they should be waiting for a correction from Fox."

He also said, however, that EA [http://www.ea.com]was not going to let the matter drop easily, and implied the company would be more aggressive in pursuing future incidents of misleading and false reporting. "We're not giving up," he said. "EA is under new management now and [CEO John] Riccitiello's made it clear that we're going to stand up for our creative teams and the games they make. We're going to fight back. There's a lot of nonsense about gaming coming out of politics, government and media - John wants us to start calling them out on it."

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
This sort of attitude will come back to haunt Fox if they continue to behave this way. I don't believe that such a big company could have so little understanding of their audience, their "product" for their clients (advertisers) that they don't realize most gamers are in the 18-35 demographic. By what back-asswards logic is alienating this demographic a good idea? Especially since gaming is no longer esoteric and marginalized, but rather growing and becoming more mainstream. Picking on gaming may have been good for business years ago, but now, it's becoming a bigger and bigger risk. Furthermore... eventually they may find that they can't hire people who don't game... they may find that they can't hire people who will nod their head in ignorance as people like Cooper Lawrence and Jack Thompson spread lies.

Simply put... pissing off gamers is not a wise move, even for Fox news.

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
Why can't EA just sue FOX and get it over with. These days, can't you pretty much sue someone just for stepping on your toe (literally)? Surely they would have a pretty good argument that public slander will effect sales.

If EA (one of the larger companies in the world these days) decides to sue a television network over misrepresentation or whatever, people will take notice.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Goofonian said:
Why can't EA just sue FOX and get it over with. These days, can't you pretty much sue someone just for stepping on your toe (literally)? Surely they would have a pretty good argument that public slander will effect sales.

If EA (one of the larger companies in the world these days) decides to sue a television network over misrepresentation or whatever, people will take notice.
Most likely, some pencil-pushers and lawyer types examined this same question and concluded it wasn't worth it. I also would think they'd want to sue Lawrence, not Fox... and do we really want to draw MORE attention to that *****?

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
I realy wish they would file a lawsuit. But i dont think it would pass. Mass Effect does have sexual content, even if Fox exagurating it. EA might have realised that they are satan and have decided they must purge themselfs.

Nov 5, 2007
Malygris said:
"EA is under new management now and [CEO John] Riccitiello's made it clear that we're going to stand up for our creative teams and the games they make. We're going to fight back. There's a lot of nonsense about gaming coming out of politics, government and media - John wants us to start calling them out on it."
Wait, does that mean that the new big cheese at EA is going to the bat for his creative team and the games they make.

EA's fight for truth in the media almost feels like some kind of quest for redemption. Well EA, you deserve some respect for that.

lost_in_hollywood

Dec 14, 2007
Good going EA, the industry does need to stand up for itself and with the likes of Rockstar and now EA i hope all these non-gamers will stop seeing the medium as something that either a child plays or it is completely the other end of the spectrum, the game in question being too terrible or having some sexual content within making it unsuitable for all!

i have to say i couldnt even get through the whole report when i waqtched it on youtube, it was just nbearable to see the completely uniformed fuckwits thinking that they knew what they are talking about!

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
They should be rebranded as FOX "NEWS".

Nice to see EA swinging their big dick at Fox instead of at their workers...other developers... game franchises... etc etc. It takes a big guy to go against Fox, and EA is about as big as it gets.

Chalee

Jan 14, 2008
I say it's all a big conspiracy - higher viewefship ratings for Fox and free publicity for EA and mass effect... They're in league I tell ya!

Seriously though, it's good to see someone sticking it to the big ''news'' network minions..

KefZ_X

Nov 14, 2007
My thought is FOX news didn't expect EA to fight back so I say keep up the good work EA "fight the machine" - C.G.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
ShadowKirby said:
EA's fight for truth in the media almost feels like some kind of quest for redemption. Well EA, you deserve some respect for that.
Who knows... maybe this new guy in the big chair really does want to turn Electronic Arts around. The cynic in me says "yeah, right", but the tiny voice of optimism says "give 'em a chance". Only time will tell.

The Reverend

Jan 28, 2008
As much as I hate EA and there desire to release the same old crap year in year out, I hate the media's branding of the video games industry even more. EA should throw the damned book at them, and if that doesn't do it, there entire back catalog of games. That would probably incur a Schwarzenegger-esque body count, mind you.