Fox & Friends Swipes BioShock Infinite Logo in a Move Levine Calls 'Irony'

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Fox happily beats on games for stupid reasons yet uses images when it suits them. Bunch of idiots. Wouldnt be surprised if Fox releases a news clip complaining at their use of Infinite logo promote anti immigration feelings. DAMN VIDEO GAMES!!!!

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
The world just can't stop giving Fox News more rope. Enough is never enough. But it's like a bad zombie film. No matter how many times they hang themselves, they keep coming back for an encore.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Oh god I can't wait to start playing Infinite, I downloaded it but I'm specifically waiting for the 4th to start playing. As for this... Well after the tea party use of propaganda that was SUPPOSED to be Parody of mass American Xenophobia this doesn't seem that bad.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Is it bad that the first thing that stuck out to me was how slapped-together that logo looks? Like, the bevels on the "DEFENDING" don't line up right, like they had done a cut-and-paste job on something else (some other parody?) and the word "HOMELAND" looks like they used too wide a font for the field it's been placed in.

EiMitch

Nov 20, 2013
The racist knuckle-dragers that Faux News appeals to are a dying minority. The far right is lashing out harder than ever because its their desperate last stand. They realize, at least intuitively, that they're not the future. And Faux News is happily joining them in obsolescence.

That last part is fine by me. Let that cesspool posing as a news organization go down with the ship.
Karloff said:
Ken Levine isn't too worried about it. As he posts on Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/ken.levine.9/posts/10203391065356282], he's "glad to help," though that might have been intended ironically.
Gee, you think?

I'm convinced that he meant "glad to help" them hang themselves.
gridsleep said:
The world just can't stop giving Fox News more rope. Enough is never enough. But it's like a bad zombie film. No matter how many times they hang themselves, they keep coming back for an encore.
Oh, okay. Glad to help them hang themselves, yet again.

Nitpicker.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if Faux News was entirely aware of the intended meaning of the symbol they appropriated. The far right has had quite the persecution complex lately, so it doesn't strike me as crazy (or it at least strikes me as the less crazy part) that they'd take an icon meant to condemn them and defiantly wear it as a badge of honor.

No, no, no. I mean it. Think about it. If gun-nuts carrying military-grade (or at least military looking) weapons into restaurants can convince themselves that they're freedom-fighting martyrs, then what is so shocking about Faux News equating themselves with Columbia like its a good thing? This is not a new low. This is just the latest self-inflicted indignity of narcissists who mistake their persecution complex for integrity.

But if this is looking too deep into the abyss for your comfort, then by all means just leave it at "Stupid is as stupid does." Mental illness is not for the feint of heart, so nobody will think less of you for it.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
So, let's get this straight. An icon deliberately created to be reminiscent of pre-existing far-right American imagery, turns out to be, surprise surprise, vaguely reminiscent of a right-wing American image?

Can we please stop calling something with a few vague similarities "copying"? A lot of lawsuits are based on such fuzzy pseudo-resemblances.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Honestly, the worse irony here is that they put it alongside a picture of the Statue of Liberty. That's not just pop culture ignorance, that's blatantly ignoring historical symbolism. Tip: go read the damn plaque on the statue, geniuses. ?Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.? Not exactly an indictment of lax immigration laws.

Pyrian said:
So, let's get this straight. An icon deliberately created to be reminiscent of pre-existing far-right American imagery, turns out to be, surprise surprise, vaguely reminiscent of a right-wing American image?

Can we please stop calling something with a few vague similarities "copying"? A lot of lawsuits are based on such fuzzy pseudo-resemblances.
Dude... the thing was directly traced. It even has the same texturing. The only thing changed is the lettering and the upside-down flag instead of the torn one.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
JarinArenos said:
Dude... the thing was directly traced. It even has the same texturing. The only thing changed is the lettering and the upside-down flag instead of the torn one.
False, false, and false. The similarities are the shield shapes and positioning, color choices, and motifs, and the latter two are little more than just the standard patriotic motif, anyway - which BS:I copied, not vice-versa. The background texture is almost completely different, the font is different (inverted), the edging of both shields is different, the stars and number of stars are different, really the only notable similarity is the basic shape.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Pyrian said:
JarinArenos said:
False, false, and false. The similarities are the shield shapes and positioning, color choices, and motifs, and the latter two are little more than just the standard patriotic motif, anyway - which BS:I copied, not vice-versa. The background texture is almost completely different, the font is different (inverted), the edging of both shields is different, the stars and number of stars are different, really the only notable similarity is the basic shape.
Best image I've seen of the Fox logo so far. If you have a better one, please share.

(comparison image from Gamespot) Let's see now.
-Shape is the most obvious, and from this angle, you can see that it's not just style that's being copied, but exact proportions. The shapes are identical. Please note that in the Fox logo, the point at the bottom of the small shield is obscured by the water graphic.
-The outer 6 stars are in almost exactly the same position, adding only the two around the weirdly-positioned "the" in the middle.
-Text, same red-with-gold-border. Different font, but considering that they're just using Impact font, I chalk that up to laziness.
-Background, the resolution makes comparison a bit difficult, but turn the blue edging brown, and it would be almost identical.

All in all, this is far beyond stylistic similarities. I'm honestly shocked to see anyone even bothering to genuinely argue it. Hell, the only notable difference is the texturing of the border, which is smooth instead of woven. Almost like this image here...

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Rellik San said:
Riff Moonraker said:
I am sorry, but the OP has lost their mind if they dont think conservatives can also be gamers. Being a gamer does NOT mean you are necessarily a liberal, left winger. Maybe he didnt mean it to come off that way, but jeez...
This post is an example of how political bias not only works is but is incredibly stupid.

"The party I support did something stupid and moronic, in this case relating to video games, so a video game website posts a half mocking piece about it: LIBERAL BIAS!"

And it goes for the Liberals too, they do it just as much.

If your party does something as moronic as this, it's your job to hold them to account for it, I mean these people are the public face of your political opinion and if they are being mocked, they are being mocked because they did or said something stupid and deserve it.
Trust me, I have plenty I get angry with on the republican side of the fence, as well. But conservatives arent a party, we just generally side with republicans more often than your further left democrats. Blue dog dems get more conservative support than you might realize, as well.

And you are quite right... political bias is in full swing here, and it is incredibly stupid. Look at how alot of people view conservatives these days... and they generally get it completely wrong.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Riff Moonraker said:
I am sorry, but the OP has lost their mind if they dont think conservatives can also be gamers. Being a gamer does NOT mean you are necessarily a liberal, left winger. Maybe he didnt mean it to come off that way, but jeez...
The irony comes from this being a panic peace about defending against immigrants, a theme Bioshock Infinite is a very harsh satire and deconstruction of. The dangers of unbridled patriotism, wrapping religion up in a flag, xenophobia and the emptiness of the founding myths of a nation are the central themes of Columbia. Themes that run directly counter to the editorial line of Fox News and especially a piece called "Defending the Homeland"

It would be like an antisemitic origination using artwork from the graphic novel Mouse.
I am thinking you mean Maus, but I get your point, and dont disagree with that, either. Trust me, they do some ROYALLY stupid stuff at Fox, too... just much less than MSNBC or CNN. My comment was more directed not at the actual subject, or Ken Levines comments, but the posters comments that seemed to insinuate conservatives dont game.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Considering Fox's body of work, I'm pretty sure they didn't do it ironically. Either that, or they've become the penultimate Poe.

Rellik San said:
And it goes for the Liberals too, they do it just as much.
[citation needed]
Go and watch some Young Turks...

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
So people are spewing invective at a corporate-owned profit-driven media outlet populated by mindless talking heads as opposed to all the other corporate-owned profit-driven media outlets populated by mindless talking heads.

Makes sense.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Riff Moonraker said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Riff Moonraker said:
The irony comes from this being a panic peace about defending against immigrants, a theme Bioshock Infinite is a very harsh satire and deconstruction of. The dangers of unbridled patriotism, wrapping religion up in a flag, xenophobia and the emptiness of the founding myths of a nation are the central themes of Columbia. Themes that run directly counter to the editorial line of Fox News and especially a piece called "Defending the Homeland"

It would be like an antisemitic origination using artwork from the graphic novel Mouse.
I am thinking you mean Maus, but I get your point, and dont disagree with that, either. Trust me, they do some ROYALLY stupid stuff at Fox, too... just much less than MSNBC or CNN. My comment was more directed not at the actual subject, or Ken Levines comments, but the posters comments that seemed to insinuate conservatives dont game.
They all have their moments, some just are more subtle about their stupidity than others:

Alas, if we had to post everything about MSNBC we'd be here a long time. Let's just agree that we need to use multiple sources and should educate ourselves. We need Fox News, CNN, MSNBC/NBC, ABC, BBC, etc.

Also, to add fuel to the fire:

US soldiers, who traditionally vote the right side of the aisle, love video games.... love them.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6780587/ns/technology_and_science-games/t/troops-stationed-iraq-turn-gaming/

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Even if someone at Fox did play Bioshock Infinite, I think most of it would go over their head. After all, it was only a few years ago that Glenn Beck had an on-air moment where he suddenly realised that 'Born in the USA' was critical of America...

EiMitch

Nov 20, 2013
josh4president said:
So people are spewing invective at a corporate-owned profit-driven media outlet populated by mindless talking heads as opposed to all the other corporate-owned profit-driven media outlets populated by mindless talking heads.

Makes sense.
I think most people are just laughing at them for ripping-off iconography that was intended to criticize similar people.

And I don't equate Faux News with other corporate media because Faux News clearly prefers to cater to a far worse audience. For goodness sake, they're spinning as "Defending the Homeland" a bunch of racist a-holes who are protesting against immigrants coming to this country by legal means. I emphasized "legal" because the usual excuse for xenophobes is that they only oppose illegal immigration as opposed to all immigration. But thats clearly not the case this time. Those protestors, and Faux News, are being openly and proudly xenophobic.

And I cannot in good conscience equate that with typical media stupidity.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
EiMitch said:
josh4president said:

Makes sense.
I think most people are just laughing at them for ripping-off iconography that was intended to criticize similar people.

And I don't equate Faux News with other corporate media because Faux News clearly prefers to cater to a far worse audience. For goodness sake, they're spinning as "Defending the Homeland" a bunch of racist a-holes who are protesting against immigrants coming to this country by legal means. I emphasized "legal" because the usual excuse for xenophobes is that they only oppose illegal immigration as opposed to all immigration. But thats clearly not the case this time. Those protestors, and Faux News, are being openly and proudly xenophobic.

And I cannot in good conscience equate that with typical media stupidity.
wait a sec. are fox news the "patriotic" constutionion spouting right wing people of the USA anti-immigration? the same USA that's founded on immigration?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Riff Moonraker said:
Just as a heads-up - though having been around here since 2010 you should probably already know this :p - but most of the writers/staff members/forum-goers on this site tend to be leaning towards the left...and that's being generous in the cases of some content providers *cough*MovieBob*cough*. That's why I don't set foot in the Religion and Politics section. :p