Fox & Friends Swipes BioShock Infinite Logo in a Move Levine Calls 'Irony'

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Riff Moonraker said:
I am sorry, but the OP has lost their mind if they dont think conservatives can also be gamers. Being a gamer does NOT mean you are necessarily a liberal, left winger. Maybe he didnt mean it to come off that way, but jeez...
Just as a heads-up - though having been around here since 2010 you should probably already know this :p - but most of the writers/staff members/forum-goers on this site tend to be leaning towards the left...and that's being generous in the cases of some content providers *cough*MovieBob*cough*. That's why I don't set foot in the Religion and Politics section. :p
What i don't get about people from the US .. not all but a lot.. talking about their countries citizens leaning left or right.

The political culture in the US as it appears to someone from Australia is that there really isn't even a "Left" in the US. There is Right, and REALLY Fucking Right.

Comparing that to the Left in other countries, particularly some in the EU.

For the record, Australia is about the same for the most part. Though we get a LITTLE further left than the US. Socialized medicine isn't vehemently attacked here for being "Communism" for instance lol.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
WWmelb said:
RJ 17 said:
Riff Moonraker said:
I am sorry, but the OP has lost their mind if they dont think conservatives can also be gamers. Being a gamer does NOT mean you are necessarily a liberal, left winger. Maybe he didnt mean it to come off that way, but jeez...
Just as a heads-up - though having been around here since 2010 you should probably already know this :p - but most of the writers/staff members/forum-goers on this site tend to be leaning towards the left...and that's being generous in the cases of some content providers *cough*MovieBob*cough*. That's why I don't set foot in the Religion and Politics section. :p
What i don't get about people from the US .. not all but a lot.. talking about their countries citizens leaning left or right.

The political culture in the US as it appears to someone from Australia is that there really isn't even a "Left" in the US. There is Right, and REALLY Fucking Right.

Comparing that to the Left in other countries, particularly some in the EU.

For the record, Australia is about the same for the most part. Though we get a LITTLE further left than the US. Socialized medicine isn't vehemently attacked here for being "Communism" for instance lol.
Last time I checked, not everyone on this site was from the US. :p

As for the political scales, they vary from country to country. The "mid-point" is for someone from the UK will be different than the "mid-point" for someone from the US. As such, their perceptions of what is "left" and "right" will be different as well.

I'd pontificate a bit more on this subject, but as I said: I stay out the the R&P section of the site for a reason, and have no desire to discuss politics here. :p

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Well, it is ironic. Give it to Levine to be cool about this sort of thing.

mega lenin

Jul 2, 2014
No it was not meant to be ironic. Look at all the graphics on the screen that isn't the professionally made fox logo. Fox and Friends' title graphic artist is lazy and total shit on top of it. He's prolly Ken Levine's black sheep nephew or something. I watched the clip it was a wet kiss interview for Rick Perry to grandstand about immigration there is nothing ironic at all going on on the part of the anchors and given the softballs they lobbed at Rick it's pretty clear they were trying to promote his viewpoint rather than subvert it with irony.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Karloff said:
Perhaps Governor Perry ought to grow a beard...
Or get punched in the face. Or thrown off of Columbia. Or rammed with a zeppelin.

Seriously, fuck that guy. Texas needs to lose him and his cadre of cronies and supporters ASAP. Preferably by firing them out of a canon. Or firing a canon at them.

reciprocal

Jun 4, 2009
Technically speaking, Mr. Levine, that isn't ironic at all. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Dec 10, 2012
This is amazing. This is what we get in a world with Fox News.

Good on Ken Levine for taking it in stride. He seems like a level-headed dude. This is exactly the kind of this he was trying to get at with Infinite, so he's just letting it play out.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
I'm surprised 2K Games aren't suing. Though they probably aren't going to develop more Bioshock Infinite sequels or DLC, I doubt they want people to think they can copy their art assets at will. Fox News seem to using the graphic as part of their headline campaign to push their agenda, not as part of a parody, reference or illustration of Bioshock Infinite.

VyseRogueKing

Oct 27, 2011
mega lenin said:
Fox news wasn't using it for irony, it was ironic for Fox News to use it for their segment which in relation to Infinite's themes is the exact opposite.

And some Graphic Artist was pretty lazy. Wouldn't blame him.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Could I direct everyone to this rather bizarre Fox news report?

Yes this was a thing.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
So what is the point of this incredibly biased "news" article? Is it simply to crate a thread that usually devolves into a anti-republican circle jerk? If you guys want REAL ridiculous stuff look a CNN. I heard that they are doing a crusade against manga recently.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
epicdwarf said:
So what is the point of this incredibly biased "news" article? Is it simply to crate a thread that usually devolves into a anti-republican circle jerk? If you guys want REAL ridiculous stuff look a CNN. I heard that they are doing a crusade against manga recently.
This isn't a big political thing. A game that mentions xenophobia, financial and cultural misuse of religion and extreme American suprematism had its logo stolen by a America centred organisation with a strong religious component to be reused in a borderline xenophobic report. There's some irony in that. It's an issue of hipocrisy and not understanding what you're using, not politics. It's like a restaurant claiming it's the best in town by quote mining all the bad reviews it has, or a murderer going "here's a video of me killing that guy, which is proof I didn't kill him".

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
MarsAtlas said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Considering Fox's body of work, I'm pretty sure they didn't do it ironically. Either that, or they've become the penultimate Poe.
I have heard that some people behind the scenes, as well as two of the hosts, are basically being sell-outs, but still oftentimes sabotage the conversations or programs with minor things here and there.
I gotta admit, that would be kind of awesome.
Judging by the Bill O'reilly/Dave Silvermen talks someone sabotaged something.
Because twice they have made the fox news hardline audience go WTF.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
Gearhead mk2 said:
This isn't a big political thing. A game that mentions xenophobia, financial and cultural misuse of religion and extreme American suprematism had its logo stolen by a America centred organisation with a strong religious component to be reused in a borderline xenophobic report. There's some irony in that. It's an issue of hipocrisy and not understanding what you're using, not politics. It's like a restaurant claiming it's the best in town by quote mining all the bad reviews it has, or a murderer going "here's a video of me killing that guy, which is proof I didn't kill him".
But they only used the game's title graphic. They did not use com stocks propaganda in any way, shape, or form. Yeah the game has themes of xenophobia, but the title graphic does not show it off.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
epicdwarf said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
But they only used the game's title graphic. They did not use com stocks propaganda in any way, shape, or form. Yeah the game has themes of xenophobia, but the title graphic does not show it off.
Doesn't matter. Either they didn't know or didn't care about the game's messages and thought it would be suitable to use, or they did know and care and are trolling people. In the first case, they shouldn't have used something they didn't understand, and in the second, they're deliberately trying to annoy people. And no mater what, they used an edited version of a copyrighted image without giving pay or credit to the original creator.

And there was a tea party in Florida that did use Comstock's propaganda, so...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Neronium said:
Diablo1099 said:
To give Fox News credit, at least it wasn't Bengazi they based their title card on.
Give it time, I'm sure they'll add it in. XD

OT: Reminds me of the time a little after BioShock Infinite came out in which some people in the Tea Party were usings the propoganda Comstick had around Columbia as actually posters for their rallies. The irony in this is just as strong as that one.
The Irony isn't quite what you might think. To be honest I've been of the opinion for a while that on a lot of levels "Bioshock" has gone over the heads of the people who play it.

Spoilers Below:

To put this into context in the original "Bioshock" a lot of people were jumping up and down saying that game "zapped" Ayn Rand. The problem with this is that while it starts out that way, eventual revelations in the game turn the message into the opposite, or at least make it very neutral. After all "Rapture" worked just fine as an institution, it wasn't a uptopia by any means, but it was functional, and most people were fairly happy. The problems actually came from a revolutionary who pretty much wrecked it. Indeed one of the big moments of the game is when you find out that while no saint, the guy you think is the bad guy really isn't, and he's the one who enables you to set things right. Now "Bioshock 2" which is generally agreed to be a far inferior game, got that way in part because it pretty much gave people what they thought the first game was about, by exaggerating the problems with the status quo, and making Ryan out to be a lot worse than he was supposed to be, which kind of ruins the impact of the big reveal in the first game.

When it comes to "Columbia", where this is from, as a general rule you can't say there isn't a lot wrong with what Comstock is doing to begin with. Basically, he disagreed with US policy, so he left. His disagreements weren't even that unreasonable, he did things like go to war for the US, putting his entire city at risk, and then was told to stand down for political reasons before the situation could be resolved. While the boxer rebellion was the example, this basic metaphor could be used for a lot of other wars like Veitnam, or even the current War On Terror, where soldiers are called upon to put their lives in danger, and then sent home with the job incomplete by politicians, rendering their efforts, losses, and risks, irrelevant due to never having achieved the intended objectives, from which politicians might have been holding them back to begin with. While the recent upswing in chaos in The Middle East after Obama's troop pullbacks hadn't happened at the time "infinite" was released, a lot of people (including me) were pretty bloody sure this was coming. I think part of what "Infinite" did here was make a statement it's developers figured would seem visionary in response to upcoming events.

"Infinite" also involves several "X" factors involved in what happens. For example it can be argued a certain industrialist is the actual bad guy of the piece, which some people leaning left were upset about because Comstock is more like their stereotypical villain. What's more it subverts it's initial expectations by making it so that the final bad guys are not the statement like Comstock, or the Industialists like Fink, but the social revolutionaries who wind up being worse and more mindlessly destructive than either of the other groups, despite everyone having their failures. Indeed there is a sort of message in everything being destroyed, while the other forces (including Songbird) work together to try and stop the revolutionaries.

On a certain fundamental level, Bioshock also points out that just because your an immigrant doesn't mean your going to get a free ride. Sure the people who arrive on Columbia are poor and desperate, but why immigrate to such a place with finite jobs being available? Showing up on the doorstep and saying "your responsible for me" isn't entirely fair, and destroying everything when you get slotted off about your own stupidity doesn't benefit anyone, including you.

Basically Infinite has a straightforward message which is very "left wing" (if anyone never noticed I use quotes for a reason in most of my messages) while it also subverts it to have the opposite message when you actually look at the game. Granted everything generally comes out being fairly balanced... after all, at the end of the day in Infinite the entire destruction of Columbia is presented as being a positive thing, because in the future Columbia was going to destroy New York City for some largely undisclosed reason... and the person in command was going to be Elizabeth who wound up having second thoughts about it leading to some of the temporal misadventures when you get down to it. A lot of this can of course be blame on Comstock and the way he treated her, but at the same time that had little to do with Columbia itself or the principles it was based on.

I think the right wing doesn't really miss the point, but rather a lot of critics do. The only part the right wing misses is that some of the statements made were justified by Columbia cedeing from the union. Comstock did not turn his guns on the USA (though Elizabeth did in the future)) because he disagreed with the way policies were going, instead he chose to leave. On some ways this is glorifying the civil war, and at it's most radical could probably be a way of saying that a lot of the so called "Red States" should feel entitled to simply leave the country, where they can set their own policies if they disagree with the way the blue states are going.

As a general rule I think the USA is stronger together, but at the same time I do think within the scope of principles here different Americans have the right to live the way they want within their own interpretation of things. On a lot of levels I feel this is why there were separate states to begin with, and a lot of issues exist because of a federal government telling people how they have to live and interpret things, and forcing people to accept things they are deadest against in pursuit of a particular view of "the greater good". "Social Justice" to one person is not for
someone else. One of my big concerns with current political trends is that it's going to lead to another civil war where states are going to try and break off again, OR one side or the other is going to start a revolution to take back the country (which is bad given the divide is nearly 50-50). I think on some levels what "Infinite" was saying is that if you disagree with what the country should stand for that strongly, feel free to take your land and leave. Albeit it's easier to do with a flying super-city than it is to deal with say Texas, Arizonia, etc.. suddenly saying "we're now the Confederated States of America" or whatever and establishing their own governments while refusing to acknowledge US policy, debt, etc... and instead setting their own. This is the area where Fox News kind of misses the point, since the end result of that revolutionary dogma was "we're going to go somewhere else to live how we want and take our resources with us" not a matter of changing the US. The US wound up losing a lot of science and wonder out of the deal, as well as it's best weapon. Had Columbia decided it just flat out wanted to change the US, nothing could have stopped it as Elizabeth demonstrated in the future, even around the 1980s the US was apparently powerless before the science of Columbia (as retro as it looked, it was actually using stuff far beyond what we have today).

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I wonder how long it will take before they embarrass themselves by claiming the logo was developed independently or that "vidia gaeme" is a horrible corrupting influence and "unAmerican."

Steve the Pocket said:
Is it bad that the first thing that stuck out to me was how slapped-together that logo looks? Like, the bevels on the "DEFENDING" don't line up right, like they had done a cut-and-paste job on something else (some other parody?) and the word "HOMELAND" looks like they used too wide a font for the field it's been placed in.
Cousin_IT said:
I'm no expert, but I think that flag is upside down.
This just pushes this beyond the point of irony and into the place of "pure incompetence." It is almost forgivable that they put this on their logo. I am certain this was created by some underpaid intern who photoshopped it from a free template that was found online, and the old men who approved the logo didn't know about or play through the game. However, the fact it such a lazy design o just twists the knife that further in. Just that a person, actually, a committee looked at this design and said "this is high enough quality to be put on live television in front of millions of viewers," speaks volumes about Fox news.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
cojo965 said:
Could I direct everyone to this rather bizarre Fox news report?

Yes this was a thing.
._.

Wow. I am not sure what is worse. That this was considered newsworth, that they called footage all over the internet "exclusive", or "Grand Theft Mario Kart."

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
Gearhead mk2 said:
Doesn't matter. Either they didn't know or didn't care about the game's messages and thought it would be suitable to use, or they did know and care and are trolling people. In the first case, they shouldn't have used something they didn't understand, and in the second, they're deliberately trying to annoy people. And no mater what, they used an edited version of a copyrighted image without giving pay or credit to the original creator.

And there was a tea party in Florida that did use Comstock's propaganda, so...
In all honesty, I think it was an accident. Probably some lazy graphics desigenr that thought it would be "funny" to use the logo. There is not a single news network that would even dare do something like this on purpose.

In defense of the Tea Party: It is a large political movement. You are bound to find ingorant people in it.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
epicdwarf said:
There is not a single news network that would even dare do something like this on purpose.
Good thing that FOX is not a news network, well at least not what the rest of the civilized world would call a news outlet. Fox news is sensationalist rubbish that the "even more right" (because if america had a left then that would be progress) can watch to reinforce there views.

Its kind of scary and i do feel sorry for people that have to deal with that kind of stuff on a day to day basis, its bad enough looking in from the outside.