Fox & Friends Swipes BioShock Infinite Logo in a Move Levine Calls 'Irony'

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Tsaba said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Riff Moonraker said:
I am sorry, but the OP has lost their mind if they dont think conservatives can also be gamers. Being a gamer does NOT mean you are necessarily a liberal, left winger. Maybe he didnt mean it to come off that way, but jeez...
The irony comes from this being a panic peace about defending against immigrants, a theme Bioshock Infinite is a very harsh satire and deconstruction of. The dangers of unbridled patriotism, wrapping religion up in a flag, xenophobia and the emptiness of the founding myths of a nation are the central themes of Columbia. Themes that run directly counter to the editorial line of Fox News and especially a piece called "Defending the Homeland"

It would be like an antisemitic origination using artwork from the graphic novel Mouse.
I am thinking you mean Maus, but I get your point, and dont disagree with that, either. Trust me, they do some ROYALLY stupid stuff at Fox, too... just much less than MSNBC or CNN. My comment was more directed not at the actual subject, or Ken Levines comments, but the posters comments that seemed to insinuate conservatives dont game.
They all have their moments, some just are more subtle about their stupidity than others:

Exactly!! :) Thanks for taking the time and effort to describe what I meant waaaaay better than I would have, lol!!

Alas, if we had to post everything about MSNBC we'd be here a long time. Let's just agree that we need to use multiple sources and should educate ourselves. We need Fox News, CNN, MSNBC/NBC, ABC, BBC, etc.

Also, to add fuel to the fire:

US soldiers, who traditionally vote the right side of the aisle, love video games.... love them.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6780587/ns/technology_and_science-games/t/troops-stationed-iraq-turn-gaming/

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Riff Moonraker said:
I am sorry, but the OP has lost their mind if they dont think conservatives can also be gamers. Being a gamer does NOT mean you are necessarily a liberal, left winger. Maybe he didnt mean it to come off that way, but jeez...
Just as a heads-up - though having been around here since 2010 you should probably already know this :p - but most of the writers/staff members/forum-goers on this site tend to be leaning towards the left...and that's being generous in the cases of some content providers *cough*MovieBob*cough*. That's why I don't set foot in the Religion and Politics section. :p
Yeah, I know. :) I try to do the same thing, although sometimes I simply cannot help myself!!!

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
alj said:
Good thing that FOX is not a news network, well at least not what the rest of the civilized world would call a news outlet. Fox news is sensationalist rubbish that the "even more right" (because if america had a left then that would be progress) can watch to reinforce there views.

Its kind of scary and i do feel sorry for people that have to deal with that kind of stuff on a day to day basis, its bad enough looking in from the outside.
Fox News is just as valid as a news network as MSNBC and CNN. They all twist information. They all produce shock reports. They all have their own crusades against something(most of the time an escape goat).

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
Therumancer said:
Neronium said:
Diablo1099 said:
To give Fox News credit, at least it wasn't Bengazi they based their title card on.
Give it time, I'm sure they'll add it in. XD

OT: Reminds me of the time a little after BioShock Infinite came out in which some people in the Tea Party were usings the propoganda Comstick had around Columbia as actually posters for their rallies. The irony in this is just as strong as that one.
The Irony isn't quite what you might think. To be honest I've been of the opinion for a while that on a lot of levels "Bioshock" has gone over the heads of the people who play it.
I disagree. Rapture wasn't a paradise ruined by renegades--plenty of audio logs point to other systems at the heart of Rapture's decline. Two relevant audio logs:

1.) The janitor frustrated at the fact that he hasn't been successful yet. When you set up your society as "the best and brightest will live like kings!", everyone who shows up does so because they think they're the best and brightest. As it turns out, someone still needs to mop the floors. This is the core disenchantment at the heart of Rapture: when you've got a forest of nothing but wolves, some of them have to eat grass and be hunted, and the are not going to be happy.

2.) Andrew Ryan's "we must not regulate." All side-conflict aside, one of the key decisions that crippled Rapture was Andrew Ryan's refusal to implement regulation against the use of Adam, reasoning that to do so was outside the government's bailiwick. He reasoned that market forces alone would gradually restrict the use of the destructive, addictive, mentally corrosive substance. Whatever you want to pin the exact turning point of Rapture's decline on, fact is--market forces failed. Failing to regulate Adam or intervene in treating its addicts greatly exacerbated the decline of Rapture.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
One of their local new stations stole the indoor theme from Zelda as well. I guess that's just how 'job creators' do things, by riding the coat tails of actual creators.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
epicdwarf said:
alj said:
Good thing that FOX is not a news network, well at least not what the rest of the civilized world would call a news outlet. Fox news is sensationalist rubbish that the "even more right" (because if america had a left then that would be progress) can watch to reinforce there views.

Its kind of scary and i do feel sorry for people that have to deal with that kind of stuff on a day to day basis, its bad enough looking in from the outside.
Fox News is just as valid as a news network as MSNBC and CNN. They all twist information. They all produce shock reports. They all have their own crusades against something(most of the time an escape goat).
NOT AN ESCAPE GOAT!!! Pro Tip: Maybe someone who doesn't know what a scapegoat is called shouldn't be listened to about matters fundamental to democracy, like the media.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
Haru17 said:
NOT AN ESCAPE GOAT!!! Pro Tip: Maybe someone who doesn't know what a scapegoat is called shouldn't be listened to about matters fundamental to democracy, like the media.
Sorry that I used the slang for scapegoat. That kind of stuff sometimes goes under my radar. No need to be rude about it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Rutskarn said:
Therumancer said:
Neronium said:
Diablo1099 said:
To give Fox News credit, at least it wasn't Bengazi they based their title card on.
Give it time, I'm sure they'll add it in. XD

OT: Reminds me of the time a little after BioShock Infinite came out in which some people in the Tea Party were usings the propoganda Comstick had around Columbia as actually posters for their rallies. The irony in this is just as strong as that one.
The Irony isn't quite what you might think. To be honest I've been of the opinion for a while that on a lot of levels "Bioshock" has gone over the heads of the people who play it.
I disagree. Rapture wasn't a paradise ruined by renegades--plenty of audio logs point to other systems at the heart of Rapture's decline. Two relevant audio logs:

1.) The janitor frustrated at the fact that he hasn't been successful yet. When you set up your society as "the best and brightest will live like kings!", everyone who shows up does so because they think they're the best and brightest. As it turns out, someone still needs to mop the floors. This is the core disenchantment at the heart of Rapture: when you've got a forest of nothing but wolves, some of them have to eat grass and be hunted, and the are not going to be happy.

2.) Andrew Ryan's "we must not regulate." All side-conflict aside, one of the key decisions that crippled Rapture was Andrew Ryan's refusal to implement regulation against the use of Adam, reasoning that to do so was outside the government's bailiwick. He reasoned that market forces alone would gradually restrict the use of the destructive, addictive, mentally corrosive substance. Whatever you want to pin the exact turning point of Rapture's decline on, fact is--market forces failed. Failing to regulate Adam or intervene in treating its addicts greatly exacerbated the decline of Rapture.
I took that as being more in line with pointing out that no society is ever going to be a complete utopia. The best you can hope for is for the majority of people to be happy and provided for at any given time. The fact that someone still has to take out the trash isn't really a societal failing. Ryan's system did lead to incredible discoveries and was very workable. Even the regulation of ADAM and EVE wasn't that big a deal, as the entire thing fell apart due to a revolutionary trying to take the entire thing over. Even the greatest empire can be toppled by rats in the walls so
to speak.

If anything I think Ryan's biggest flaw was total isolationism, and hiding. Once he was established and Rapture was able to defend itself, it probably shouldn't have tried to remain shut off from the rest of the world, and indeed it could be said paranoia was it's downfall (consider who Ryan thinks you work for initially) by allowing the revolution to gain traction, after all Ryan's opposition wasn't entirely based on competing science, but because they were smuggling outside goods people wanted into Rapture.

Don't get me wrong, Rapture obviously failed, but the point here is that it was more of a personal failure than one of the basic ideas of philosophy. Rapture did not fail due to a form of "objectivism", indeed it thrived because of it. Rather it fell prey to anarchist rebels who sought to take it over, and destroyed a system it was not idealogically prepared to maintain. On a lot of levels it's also a statement about how revolution without a clear plan isn't a positive thing. It's nice to say "we all agree this system has problems, let's tear it down" but when you have a dozen different ideas on what it should be replaced with, and all anyone can agree on is getting rid of the current system, that just doesn't work. In Rapture the guy running the revolution was on a personal power trip, and just told people what they wanted to hear, he had no real plan other than self empowerment and enrichment, of course the people following him never bothered to think about this or the fact that he didn't really represent any of them by claiming to represent all of them (so to speak).