Fox News Attacks NEA for Classifying Games as Art

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Fox News Attacks NEA for Classifying Games as Art

In a display of manipulative journalism from beginning to end, Fox News attempts to debate whether or not artistic videogames should receive federal funding.

Recently, the U.S. federally-funded National Endowment for the Arts changed its criteria [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109835-Games-Now-Legally-Considered-an-Art-Form-in-the-USA] for what it considered art, adding "interactive games." This means that a videogame developer can now apply for a grant to develop a not-for-proft artistic or educational game that "enhances the public good" in accordance with the NEA's guidelines, just as filmmakers and other content producers can. Fox News took the opportunity to jump on the change, developing a short segment that attacks the federal government for funding videogames.

To its credit, Fox News brought in editor-in-chief of Icrontic Brian Ambrozy, who actually knew what he was talking about. Fox pitted him against radio talk-show host Neal Asbury, whose intention was obviously to ignore the facts and spout rhetoric.

Not to its credit, the very first line of the Fox News segment set a poor tone that would continue through to the end. "Should the videogame Call of Duty [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306081548&sr=8-1] get federal funding," the host asks, while showing violent clips of the game. Anyone that had done their basic research on the NEA's guidelines would know that Call of Duty isn't anywhere remotely close to getting federal funding. This line is either ignorantly or intentionally manipulative, which in either case is extremely disappointing coming from one of the nation's most popular news outlets.

Ambrozy does his best to express this fact, but is somewhat overshadowed by the loud, outspoken words of Asbury. "Hey, maybe we should start giving taxpayer money to ping-pong players," Asbury says, not seeming to understand that a ping-pong player and a videogame developer are two entirely different professions. He adds that organizations like the NEA are "stretching the limits of wastefulness," becoming a "perversion" of what they were originally intended to be, all in regards to the changed criteria.

Ambrozy comes back pointing out that videogames and entertainment in general generate billions of dollars per year, and that an NEA-funded videogame could perhaps inspire the population to become involved in artistic or technical professions related to videogame development. Asbury replies with more wasteful spending quotes, saying: "President Obama wants to raise my taxes to pay for videogames?"

Nowhere is it ever acknowledged that Call of Duty and games like it are not going to receive taxpayer dollars. The intent of the segment seems as if it was meant to take a dig at the current leaders of the U.S. government using factually incorrect information and an over-animated critic, rather than a look at what's actually occurring in reality.

The worst part is that these sorts of segments, though less than 5 minutes long, affect people. Someone is probably in an argument right now about how the government is using taxpayer dollars to fund Call of Duty, and that simply isn't the case. Not every game is art, but interactive media can absolutely be developed in an educational or artistic way, and that's all the NEA is recognizing. It's sad that media outlets are still using the general ignorance of the public about the broad spectrum that videogames now encompass for their own ends.

The Fox News segment can be viewed here [http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e80_1305997846]

Source: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/hgrin/here_is_the_fox_news_interview_on_federal_funding/]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Racecarlock said:
Wow. I totally did not see this coming! *Sarcasm sphere self test complete*
Oh good, that made it in here! God this kind of interview is designed to piss people off.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Dear Fox News. I think I speak for all people of rational thinking and common sense when I say:

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Dear other countries in the world, if you get made and decide to attack and invade the United States, please strike Fox News HQ first, then I promise we will try to work out a compromise afterwards...

trooperpaul

Apr 14, 2009
Get a drink, watch Fox News, and take a sip every time they lie, blow something out of proportion, or use strawman attacks. My record was 20 minutes conscious.

gostlyfantom

Jan 22, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U4Ha9HQvMo&feature=player_embedded its fox news, who gives a shit besides people that already hate video games?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Anyone fancy helping me blow up the Fox News building?

*Grabs Shotgun and C4 charges*

(For people with no sense of humour, this was a joke -.-)

NoDamnNames

Feb 25, 2009
once again fox news gets the equivalent of thousands in free advertising by running offensive material and having angry people post their nonsensical dribble all over the web :(

with fox "news" mediums the best thing to do is ignore them, and they will literally die.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I would punch that radio talk show guy in the throat if I ever saw him in person. People like that are disgusting.

Ignoring every point made to him only to spout out the same bullshit you said ninety seconds ago.

Fuck you, Fox News. Fuck you with a rusty, heated metal pipe.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Is there ANYTHING Fox News likes? I swear they are becoming like the West--whatever the heck their name is church.

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
Oh no, it's not accidental or due to a lack of knowledge that Fox does these things. They are fully aware of the facts and often disregard them to use shock and scare tactics to stir up controversy where there is none and push their own political agenda. All of this is purely intentional and meant to do exactly what it is doing. Someone at Fox hates video games with a passion. Among the many other things people at Fox hate. If they can combine multiple incorrect statements to spread hatred against several of their targets in a short interview segment... it's a win in their books.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
trooperpaul said:
Get a drink, watch Fox News, and take a sip every time they lie, blow something out of proportion, or use strawman attacks. My record was 20 minutes conscious.
This would be a fun game, I only fear that in my hammered state I would start to believe the crap they are spouting.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
trooperpaul said:
You have a constitution to rival Dwarves, friend.

coldshadow

Mar 19, 2009
I love how its titles "fair and balanced debate." I don't think fox understands those two words

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
rollerfox88 said:
I would argue that however much that bald shouty guy gets paid in a year is total waste, and America should save its money. His very first argument was along the lines of "there are too many people without jobs", to which the big geek guys counter was "this is how you make jobs"...Is he really a professional radio host, or just someone they found on the street shouting at a parking meter?
That's giving him too much credit. I doubt he was shouting at any one thing. Probably just the air around him.

Apr 28, 2008
LiquidGrape said:
Dear Fox News. I think I speak for all people of rational thinking and common sense when I say:

My sentiments exactly.

FOX News, go fuck yourselves.