Fox News Blogger Continues Bulletstorm Attack

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
JRCB said:
Bleugh, do these people have anything better to do? Why aren't they blaming the parents for not monitoring the games their kids play? Occasionally my dad will come up and ask me what I'm playing, and when I want a new game I have to describe what it's about and why it received it's rating. It's not that difficult, folks.
Because irresponsible right-wing soccer mom retards don't work like that. They have Christian levels of denial to that anything is their fault in the world.

FFMattCR

Nov 15, 2009
You know I'm loving the bit where he comments on the "fault of the game designers" for producing games that are like that, "damaging" and so on, right near the end of this article,
and it made me think (and I'm only 16 so yknow maybe my views are hormonal and wrong) but thats a pretty useless arguement.
For instance, there are plenty of films that he would probably rebuke the producers/directors for making because of their inapropriate content
But the same can be said about alot of things,
Is he just highlighting it in games because video games have become quite a misinterpreted medium?

Like i said, correct me if I'm wrong but perhaps some of his, and others, criticisms of the times when games become adventurous in their subject matter comes from the misconception (or I think some people like that genuinely just forget) that the games market isn't just for kids?
I mean, we don't just make Television shows for kids because we're worried that if we make Adult television it will mess things up, so is it right to feel that way about games?

(Sorry, I've probably waffled on a bit, just thought I'd chip in,
as for all this games - crime linking that theyre trying to make, check a couple of issues back on Ask Dr. Mark (here on the escapist), he did a couple of articles surrounding the whole psychology side of whether games really do influence criminals)

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
with all the blame going around that video games cause people to be violent, does anyone else remember all the things that America has used to blame deviant behavior on? At one point it was rock and roll, and Jazz music. JAZZ MUSIC PEOPLE! It's a common trend for society to blame everything but themselves for their problem.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
"and added that he thought that videogames should be treated the same as books and movies"

Aren't videogames rated a hell of a lot more strict than books and movies, already?
Books aren't even really rated.

But yes.

Also, it's easier for minors to buy explicit music and R rated movies than M rated games (source: The FTC, you can google their statistics).

To the original article and the blog that inspired it, some thoughts:

The "too offensive for Germany" thing that leads the post: Fox News (Not this contributor specifically, necessarily) has openly railed against places like Germany for having more restrictions on free speech and has complained about measures to deal with hate speech and the like that would bring us more on par with Europe. I have to wonder if that's what this author really wants.

This article, at least, doesn't beat around the bush about the connections it's trying to make.

I wonder how easy it really is for kids to buy unsupervised online. I know you can buy an Amazon gift card or similar, but most online stores still have age restrictions (Not sure about Amazon itself, but I'm an adult anyway).

If graphic violence is so damaging to kids, will Newscorp take responsibility for its programming on Fox's non-news network and film properties? I mean, any kid can watch that stuff! They can probably even buy it online!

Finally, when will the apologists show up to tell us "Fox didn't really say....?"

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
As a German, a small tear of appreciation was cried in favor of EA while reading this article.
Really hope that they don't get discouraged and stay vocal about treating games like books and movies.

There are two slight details missing, however. The USK doesn't censor games, the publisher/developer does that, hoping to get a lower or a rating at all. If a game is rejected a rating, the Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Medien (BPjM) will check if the title should be put on the black list (i.e. like the original Wolf3D). This black list is actually quite short and usually contains titles that violate against laws by showing swastikas or doing similar things.
The reason why a publisher would censor a game is two-fold. For one, a game without a rating must not be advertised - at all. That seriously damages marketing efforts and the game even cannot be shown on store shelves so people have to look it up directly.
The other one comes with the risk that if a game is truly put on the black list, people may be sued and actually go to prison for it. Untypically it is not the corporation that gets sued, but everyone directly involved. So self-censoring is a mixture of marketing and CYOA (cover your own asses).

Movies and Books don't have those harsh restrictions (i.e. swastikas may be shown in a movie, but you still wouldn't want to make a movie that neglects that the holocaust has happened) as they are considered pieces of art. And here we are at the point where the "games are art" discussion could actually be useful for some of us (i.e. Germany, Australia...).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
WaaghPowa said:
with all the blame going around that video games cause people to be violent, does anyone else remember all the things that America has used to blame deviant behavior on? At one point it was rock and roll, and Jazz music. JAZZ MUSIC PEOPLE! It's a common trend for society to blame everything but themselves for their problem.
To be fair, Jazz was not as innocuous as you make it sound. I mean, it's not DANGEROUS, but the culture was still on par with most of the other cultures blamed by idiots for violence and whatnot.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Same old stuff. They say the ratings aren't enforced, they are; they say the parent's aren't responsible, they are...

I think they should be more worried about the fact that children's television on average, depicts more violent acts than adult television, and in cartoons it's often depicted as humourous or a legitmate way to solve problems. Strange how they don't have an issue with that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
dnadns said:
As a German, a small tear of appreciation was cried in favor of EA while reading this article.
Really hope that they don't get discouraged and stay vocal about treating games like books and movies.

There are two slight details missing, however. The USK doesn't censor games, the publisher/developer does that, hoping to get a lower or a rating at all. If a game is rejected a rating, the Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Medien (BPjM) will check if the title should be put on the black list (i.e. like the original Wolf3D). This black list is actually quite short and usually contains titles that violate against laws by showing swastikas or doing similar things.
The reason why a publisher would censor a game is two-fold. For one, a game without a rating must not be advertised - at all. That seriously damages marketing efforts and the game even cannot be shown on store shelves so people have to look it up directly.
The other one comes with the risk that if a game is truly put on the black list, people may be sued and actually go to prison for it. Untypically it is not the corporation that gets sued, but everyone directly involved. So self-censoring is a mixture of marketing and CYOA (cover your own asses).

Movies and Books don't have those harsh restrictions (i.e. swastikas may be shown in a movie, but you still wouldn't want to make a movie that neglects that the holocaust has happened) as they are considered pieces of art. And here we are at the point where the "games are art" discussion could actually be useful for some of us (i.e. Germany, Australia...).
Thanks for the info on the German system. I lack the in-depth knowledge I'd like on the subject.

If I might ask, what happens to titles that are refused certification but not blacklisted? In the US you can still release a game with no rating but most stores wouldn't stock it anyway. In some countries, I know this can effectively ban the game, though. So I'm curious.

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
Deathfish15 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Bulletstorm comes out for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on February 22nd. Don't buy it for your kids.
Exactly this. When is society going to stop blaming the companies, the retailers, the system, and instead start pointing fingers exactly where they should be: AT THE PARENTS!

It's the parents who blindingly purchase theses games for their kids, or give their kids their credit card to purchase them online without supervision. It's the parents who don't watch what their kids are doing and just let them go off doing whatever they want. And what happens when something like Columbine happens? The parents start to blame other things, like Mareline Manson, or Doom, or whatever else. How come nobody sits there and says "the parents were to blame for not watching their kids and paying attention as they built bombs and stockpiled guns in their basement right under their noses (literally).
Simple.

They don't want to admit they're bad parents, which means offloading to blame to the closest other source they can.

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
Good on Jeff Brown and, Hal Halpin. Atleast theres someone out their defending the industry. And why does this lady have no citations anyway? I thought that was required for people to y'know...believe a word you are saying.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Fabian Stetter said:
Assassin Xaero said:
"and added that he thought that videogames should be treated the same as books and movies"

Aren't videogames rated a hell of a lot more strict than books and movies, already?
Yes they are....so let's all support this statement and we might get uncensored games one day ^^
Unless you live some where besides the United Stated, games are not censored. Here in the U.S. they are rated. Rating is a hell of a lot different then censoring.

If you are saying that someday you hope for unrated games then; I can't agree with that. Rating is important, some games not not made for children plain and simple rating help determine what is what.

-------------------------

To the point in the article about why Germany is censoring games but the U.S. is not. I say this, this is the United Stated, and there used to be a time where the thought of censorship made a true American blood red angry. What happened to that mentality?

hutchy27

Jan 7, 2011
If the parents didn't want the children to play these sort of game simply, they would simply take it off them. If you see your child eating something there not meant to like glue, you don't send a complaint to the Glue factory for making the kid eat it, you would simply take it off the child and tell them not to do it again.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Scytail said:
Anyone who has worked in a video game store should know that if a parent want to by a game for their kid that there is nothing you can do about it.

Edit: What ever happened to showing your citations? How can they claim to have "experts" without telling anyone who they are?
They're retarded, look at how they describe the response of gamers "The gaming press reacted violently", that alone should show you their stance on things. They call amazon bombing and condemnation "violent", I guess that really is "violent". They only say "violently" in a shitty attempt to make gamers look like psychotic morons.

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
When will people realize that it's not the retailer's job to prevent children from access and that it's the parents' job?

In addition, when will the nitwits also realize that videogames, next to books, are the next least damaging form of media?

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
deth2munkies said:
Stop. Publicizing. These. Morons.

I don't want to hear what Fox News is saying because I don't care. Do you really think that any sort of meaningful discussion is going to come from a topic like this that's been debated to death and general consensus has already been reached? There's nothing new here, it's just a continuation of the status quo that everyone has already rendered their opinion on.
I think the escapist solely publish these ''studies'' for a good laugh.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
greenflash said:
God Some people must really hate video games.
That or he's really greedy for a media storm all his own over the 'evils of videogames'. Or alittle of both.