Fox News: Halo 4 Could Keep Voters At Home

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fox News: Halo 4 Could Keep Voters At Home

Fox News is worried that today's release of Halo 4 could throw a wrench into the democratic process.

The most important day in American democracy is finally here: election day! It is also, as some of you may know, Halo 4 release day. Tough call, eh? Ideally, you will vote and then go play your game, although I suppose playing your game and then going to vote is okay too. But Fox News is concerned that die-hard fans may just opt for the game and skip the democratic process entirely.

Fox said "some experts" are worried that the timing of the release, which Microsoft described as a "happy coincidence," could keep both Democrat and Republican voters at home. Public relations manager Mark LoCastro is one gamer who said he won't be voting this year and estimated that only three out of eight of his gamer buddies will bother.

LoCastro insisted that Halo 4 isn't related to his decision to not vote, but Fox claimed that for many gamers, "Forward Unto Dawn" carries more weight than just "Forward," and that at least some of them will choose to wait for their preorders to arrive rather than getting down to the polling station. Analyst Jon Peddie agreed.

"There will always be that percentage who are too cool, too cynical, and too ignorant to be bothered. I would guess that's between 10 and 15 percent of the kids of voting age," he said. "The idiots who can't get a date and look at the women's breasts in the games will definitely find Halo 4 more interesting than something that requires thinking."

Microsoft issued a statement to Fox pointing out that it's been running a Halo 4 "get out the vote" campaign for several months, as well as a voter registration program on Xbox Live. "Microsoft also partnered with Rock the Vote to encourage and facilitate voter registration," a rep said. "We're continuing the message at major launch events this evening and more than 100 college campuses nationwide."

Even so, Fox said there's "a logical argument" that the game could have an impact on the vote. Polling data suggests that young voters are even less interested in this campaign than they were in 2008, according to tech analyst Charles King, which could also lead them to forgo voting in favor of the game. Whether or not that's true, what's not clear is whether young voters are skipping democracy to play the game, or if they're just playing the game because they can't be bothered with democracy. Fox also stated that many gamers responding to a Facebook poll said they'd already mailed in their ballot so they could focus on the game and while a few said they'll actually go to polling stations to vote, they're doing it more out of a sense of duty than because they actually care about who ends up President.

Source: Fox News [http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/11/06/halo-effect-young-gamers-to-skip-voting-for-halo-4/#ixzz2BT2szbl5]

Geth Reich

Sep 16, 2012
Nonsense.

Complete nonsense that only serves to make Fox look like complete buffoons.

I would only skip election day for the next Killzone installment!

[small] Also I'm British so (shrugs and goes back to gaming) [/small]

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Fox News is worried that today's release of Halo 4 could throw a wrench into the democratic process.
Let me fix that for you.
Andy Chalk said:
Fox News is Hoping that today's release of Halo 4 could throw a wrench into the Democrat Voting.
There, See Fox has been rather one sided as always when it comes to US Politics, going though GREAT lengths to bad mouth Obama, sometimes they're right, I'll admit, but the other 90% of the time, well...

Personally, I kinda hope more gamers get out and vote because I've been watching the election, Ain't no good gonna come from Mittens in the White House and the GOP in power.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
Ohhh yeah. Picking Corrupt Rich Guy A or Corrupt Rich Guy B requires ever-so-much thought. I think Halo's a little tougher than flipping a coin.

Kiyeri

Mar 8, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"There will always be that percentage who are too cool, too cynical, and too ignorant to be bothered. I would guess that's between 10 and 15 percent of the kids of voting age," he said. "The idiots who can't get a date and look at the women's breasts in the games will definitely find Halo 4 more interesting than something that requires thinking."
Did he actually say this? A professional analyst? Are you kidding me?!

Maybe voting seems less than ideal because choosing a candidate is choosing the lesser of two "meh". I only voted at all because it's my first election and my family would practically disown me if I didn't.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Maybe they aren't voting because they'd rather not waste their time on a third party candidate and neither of the candidates who actually have a shot are worth the dirt it'd take to bury them?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Faux Noose is being silly, as usual. This is newsworthy how, exactly? It's not the first time they've gone "HRRRKDUURGGKH, THOSE GOSHDURNED LIBRALS AND THEIR VIDJAGEEMS. RUINING AMURRICKAH FOR THEM REALS 'MURRICANS. 'MURRICANSES."

Because, y'know, real patriotic Americans stay inside, get fat, watch Fox News and curse Matt Groening and James L. Brooks for daring to land Liberal humour on their beloved prime-time show which is financed and dragged out like a dead horse by a right-wing megacorp.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Fox, why do you have to be so dumb? You keep making positive steps towards sanity, (like asking Paul Ryan where his budget gets the money for ~8 trillion in lost revenue/increased spending[footnote]Spoiler: it doesn't[/footnote]) and then you go off and do stuff like this!

Seriously, come on.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Ignoring the fact that I'm British and therefore cannot affect things either way

Shameless Community promoting aside, I highly doubt anyone playing Halo 4 instead of going to vote was planning to vote anyway, and probably would have spent the time not voting doing something else (some people would say worthwhile =P)

And they even tried to encourage them to vote as well, which they didn't need to do. Maybe people are just uninterested because of the candidates. But it just wouldn't be Fox without blaming video games now would it?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Wait, a speculative Fox News article about videogames that has has a remote possibility of being right?

I think i just wrote one of the most inherently wrong sentences that is gramatically correct to an acceptable degree for the internet.

Anyway, time to boot up the radar and scan for flying pigs and the four horsemen. Then shoot them.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
If gamers who are excited for Halo 4 honestly care about the elections, they either voted early or they will take the time to vote today and come back to the game later. It's as simple as that.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
At least Oregon voting is done by mail so as I said when the release date was announced, I'm as likely to go out and vote as I am to go out and buy Halo 4.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
I highly doubt that the game* will make any difference in whether someone will vote or not. If someone's not going to vote, I'm sure they weren't going to vote regardless of whether Halo 4 came out or not. Besides, a lot of voters have already mailed in or dropped off their ballots.

Then again, Fox has to to go and blame video games for something, right?

[HEADING=2]You all lost!!! Muahahahaha!!![/HEADING]

Ok, I'm sorry. I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010

Fox News 'expects'.

You know, like the ones who say Evolution is 'just a theory' and Abstinence Only SEX ED 'works'.

You know, morons.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Americans still have a democratic process? I though they were all just rich people paying other people into power.

CPunchMaster

Aug 29, 2011
Didn't MovieBob already talk about this way, way back when?

Alas, I think Fox News will jump on anything. I remember when they complained that in the Spiderman films they didn't say "the American way."