Fox News Investigates Toddlers Playing Videogames

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I'm an adversary of young kids playing single player games by themselves, unless it is an educational game. I posted this on the article(yes I am from Charlotte.) Games are a social activity, it is very very hard to play a board game or a sporting game by yourself, video games should not be treated different because of Artificial Intelligence. The best thing for younger kids is to have them play with siblings or friends, but most of all they should be playing with their parents too.(age appropriate games of course). Do not let them play by themselves.

Odd Water

Mar 6, 2010
That's it? I was expecting this to go the way of, 'Be careful what you play in front of your child. If they see you enjoying massive killings, breaking the law in games, or see you playing games with excessive violence and gore it would be like watching a graphic scary movie and your kid watches it with you and it gives them nightmares.' kind of thing. But I totally agree, its neat to get a child into games, especially if you can establish an idea to not be obsessive over them. I dunno, I guess this bit came off a little pointless to me, it didn't really give us all that much and most of us I'm sure were already thinking the same thing.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
SpaceBat said:
Akimoto said:
Welcome to Psychology =). Have a pleasant stay.
Kind of sounds offensive to psychologists, don't you think? Not to mention false.
Well, basic psychology does mention some beliefs our parents taught us. The important thing is that in psychology these beliefs are tested by experiments and hypothesis testing. Some of my older friends who are parents themselves had a discussion with me and the general feel was that psychology was good for supporting certain beliefs like eating more veggies and going to sleep early - things our mothers told us since day one.

Still, I'm only in my second year of study so...

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
A game is NOT just a game.

I still have nightmares about pixelated Nazis sometimes.
Thanks, Dad.