Fox News Links Dark Souls to "Craigslist Killer"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fox News Links Dark Souls to "Craigslist Killer"

Fox News says "Craiglist Killer" Miranda Barbour is known to have an "affinity" for Dark Souls.

Miranda Barbour, dubbed the "Craigslist Killer" for stabbing to death a man she and her husband met through Craigslist, recently confessed to killing more than 22 people across the U.S. in a "Satanic" murder spree that began when she was just 13. Authorities have thus far found nothing to corroborate her claim, although the investigation is still ongoing, but to nobody's great surprise Fox News is out in front of the situation, suggesting that her murderous urges may somehow be connected to video games.

Fox News Legal Analyst Peter Johnson Jr. said he doesn't think it's possible that Barbour could have murdered as many people as she claims, but that doesn't stop him from ruminating on why she did it. "We're talking about a girl at age 13, 14,15, after being part of one murder, going on and completing another 20-something murders," he said. "We do know that she has an affinity for the fantasy game called Dark Souls, which is a very dark, death-laden video game that's on PlayStation and other kinds of video-type things where there's a lot of killing involved."

Johnson doesn't come right out and say that video games made her do it, but it does top his list of factors that could have turned her into a devil-worshiping thrill-killer, ahead of an abusive childhood and an unwanted teenage pregnancy that ended in abortion. He also acknowledged that Barbour could be making the whole thing up to lay the groundwork for an insanity defense in the one killing she's actually believed to have committed, presumably to ensure that Fox's "fair and balanced" reputation remains unsullied.

Source: Fox News [http://video.foxnews.com/v/3225395298001/any-truth-to-craiglist-killers-shocking-confession/#sp=show-clips]

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I think my favorite part of this is when a 'professional' describes the possible motivator as a
Andy Chalk said:
video game that's on PlayStation and other kinds of video-type things.
You know, those thingies. With the stuff. And the videos.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
hah. HA. HAHAHAHAhahah!!!! Yeah, no. I wish one of these days that someone from the games industry can sue for false defamation of an industry. It is so ridiculous that they are blaming video games over an abusive childhood.

Statistics actually show that relative to 20 years ago childhood violence is actually lower. Don't go blaming what you don't understand.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Ok so she is 19 right now.

First murder at 13

19-13 = 6

2014 - 6 = 2008
Or let's take 2013, since DS came out in October so that would be 2007

Dark Souls came out in 2011.

So either she is a time traveler, or he is full of shit. Personally, i go for the second option. But its fox, did anyone expect anything else?

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Next from Fox News:

All powerful video games can manipulate time and space to influence the emotions and decision making of people regardless of their relative location in the continuum.

Back in the 80s and 90s I went through changes that eventually left me as a skeptical, cynical asshole with a bleak outlook on life... I BLAME YOU BANNER SAGA.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Isn't there some clause that says you're not affected by freedom of the press if you're lying?

Cause these idiots are full faced lying.

purplemonkey555

Aug 23, 2013
No surprise here. Honestly, nobody in their right mind would believe this crap. Even if she had a time machine to get her copy of DS from 2011, this isn't the first time video games have had the finger pointed at them by Fox "news" and won't be the last. Just ignore it, they said the same thing about rock and roll, and hip hop, and I've even heard of some people acting like this towards dubstep. There's no reason to give even a single crap about what they say.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Fox News gonna Fox News, as they say. At some point, we have to stop giving them attention, or they'll never go away.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008

"PlayStation and other kinds of video-type things?" Oh shit, get that VCR away from little Jimmy!

Fox "News," ladies and gentlemen. Your source for sensationalist, reactionary knee-jerking since 1996.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Glorious Job Creators cannot be wrong. I of knew something was of fish with this soul blacks... All of these of type video things with much kill in them.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
Fox has a history of being accurate on video games.

I'm just going to leave this here as a reminder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzF173GqTU

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
How do these people...just how do they function if their heads are full of actual shit?

Like - how monumentally fucking stupid do you have to be that shit like that comes out of your mouth?

Jan 27, 2011
Wait what?

If Dark Souls could inflict ANY kind of mental problem, it would be masochism and possible suicidal urges.

Not to mention the above mentioned fact that it came out WAY after her supposed murder spree began.

...Seriously, Fox is REALLY scraping the bottom of the barrel in trying to stay relevant. But then again, they accuse movies of being communist propaganda designed to brainwash little kiddies just because the villain is a CEO, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I don't think they are saying Dark Souls made her do it. They are saying video games laden with violence made her do it... which is equally stupid. They then cited a game which they would consider along those lines. It is death laden... and rebirth laden... but that is neither here nor there.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Johnson doesn't come right out and say that video games made her do it, but it does top his list of factors that could have turned her into a devil-worshiping thrill-killer, ahead of an abusive childhood and an unwanted teenage pregnancy that ended in abortion
Fox News is getting lazy. They forgot to blame lack of religion, federal gun control and Obama too! I guess it is an improvement that they aren't just solely blaming video-type things anymore, but not much.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Isn't there some clause that says you're not affected by freedom of the press if you're lying?

Cause these idiots are full faced lying.
Actually. News channels can legally lie without any repercussions whatsoever.
http://www.relfe.com/media_can_legally_lie.html

OP:

While this is always a bit aggravating, it's not exactly surprising. I mostly just ignore these things now because it's not worth my time.