Fox News Says Bulletstorm Could Make You a Rapist

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fox News Says Bulletstorm Could Make You a Rapist

Fox News is warning parents about the impending release of Bulletstorm [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bulletstorm&x=0&y=0] in a report alleging that videogames are actually responsible for an increase in the incidence of rape. (No, I am not making this up.)

In all fairness, Bulletstorm is not the poster child for videogames that don't make parents nervous. The new shooter from Fox News [http://www.peoplecanfly.com/], which is warning parents that the game's "Skill Shots," with names like "Topless" and "Gang Bang," conflate extreme violence with explicit sex acts that its experts say can cause serious damage to young minds.

"If a younger kid experiences Bulletstorm's explicit language and violence, the damage could be significant," said Dr. Jerry Weichman of the Hoag Neurosciences Institute in Southern California. "Violent videogames like Bulletstorm have the potential to send the message that violence and insults with sexual innuendos are the way to handle disputes and problems."

And if that's not alarmist enough for you, psychologist and author Carol Lieberman took it one step further, directly blaming videogames for a rise in sexual violence. "The increase in rapes can be attributed in large part to the playing out of [sexual] scenes in videogames," she said.

That's right: The incidence of rape is going up and it's all the fault of videogames. The game industry is complicit, according to the report, because of its insistence on the same First Amendment rights enjoyed by other media, which it uses as a smokescreen to sell its products to kids.

"The marketing is clearly aimed at children and young adolescents," said Professor Melanie Killen of the University of Maryland. She claimed that the ESRB is a failure because there is no enforcement of ratings, noting that while the FCC monitors television broadcasts and levies fines against those who violate decency regulations, there are no such penalties for selling violent games to kids.

"Politicians were organizing efforts to address violent videogames prior to the presidential election but got distracted by the election," she added. "It is time for senators and representatives to come back to the issue."

Of course, the truth is that the ESRB can impose fines of up to $1 million on publishers who jerk their ratings process around, but it's probably not reasonable to expect Fox to let facts get in the way of a good story. Like, say, the fact that FBI statistics show that the rate of forcible rape has actually declined over the past two decades (along with virtually all other violent crime rates) or that FTC studies have repeatedly shown that videogame ratings have a significantly higher rate of compliance than any other entertainment medium on the market. None of these facts are in question, yet Fox continues to ignore them. Is it just making this stuff up as it goes?

In other news, Bill O'Reilly still isn't sure where the moon came from.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Fox News is both informative and intelligent.

See, I can make shit up too.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Well if videogames aren't the cause of violence, tell me where it comes from.

You can't can you?

OT: Been there, done that.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
I've been waiting with BATED BREATH for Fox to get their hands on Bulletstorm.

They did not disappoint. ;D

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Just because I don't agree with such a disreputable news group from having such a large audience, doesn't mean I agree with such violent video games having a large audience. There are so many other things we could use game engines for apart from depiction of guns and boobs.

Taluien

Apr 15, 2009
Warning, Parental Advisory:

Prolonged exposure to any FOX programming can and will make you an insufferable imbecile over time.

On the topic of the origin of the moon, newest, highly scientific researches have proven, at least according to Mr. O'Reilly, that the moon was in fact build by the NASA, then sent back via time travel, just to have some place to shoot Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins to.

Folks, we absolutely encourage making this shit up.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Some guy on the forum beat you to it. Here ill quote myself!
gigastar said:
Latest on the Fox News shit machine...

Sexual content and violence in games!
Focusing on Bulletstorm when there are dozens, possibly hundreds of other, better examples in both the sex and violence are even more extreme. We even had a great one less than two weeks ago.

Oh Fox, why wont you just live up to your name and be shot by professional hunters and mauled by dogs already?

Afterthought: Wonder what its going to be like when theyre choking on Duke Nukem Forever.... pfffffFFFFFFffft
Remember guys, some games are Rated M for Manly. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RatedMForManly]

Rusty pumpkin

Sep 25, 2009
Woodsey said:

You sir, are in a great position to become the new head of Fox. All they need is a signed form, admission fee, and your dignity.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Woodsey said:

BURN!

OT: I love how even though Fox blantently ignores fact, they still expect people to take them seriously. And the sad thing is, there are people who are stupid enough to.

I personally can't wait until the gaming generation takes over politics and the media. At least then this uninformed dribble will shut the hell up.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Fox News is the only news channel I can agree with on an editorial stance. And it's run by fucktards.

Y'know what, I think I may as well just kill myself.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Yay, another thread on the topic for me to comment on.
*clears throat*

Suck out my farts and die, FoxNews.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Lol i'm glad they're all the way over in America, that much stupidity from one channel seems disquieting

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Took them long enough. I was starting to get worried.
I wonder what will they say about Duke Nukem Forever?

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
That chick is right about one thing though, M or 18 rated games should not be played by minors - thats the bottom line. But all the other claims are just typical FOX NEWS bullshit. Stupid right wingers and tea baggers.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
Well fox, you guys are just as stupid as I thought. Good luck making your selves look foolish, again, just like you did with Mass Effect. Here is one thing I have to address. THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR IRRESPONSIBLE PARENTS WHO LET 9 YEAR OLD KIDS PLAY M RATED GAMES!!

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Who has got time to rape with all this gaming to be done? Seriously i've only got so much time to finish playing every game in existence before skyrim comes out.

Wolfy4226

Sep 22, 2009
Oh GOD, if they got this idiotic over Bulletstorm, I can't wait to see what happens when Duke Nukem Forever comes out.