Fox News Says Bulletstorm Could Make You a Rapist

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
"Violence and insults with sexual innuendos are the way to handle disputes and problems... when mutant, zombie men and giant, tunneling Godzillas are involved maybe."

Zyxx

Jan 25, 2010
I love the bit about the politicians being "distracted by the election". Now that silly little presidential election thing is out of the way, we can get back to the REALLY important stuff. Like once again overworrying about the effects of fantasy violence on the Growthe of the Childde.

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
ANImaniac89 said:
I played the Bulletstorm demo and felt ashamed for playing it.
My impression was that it was like watching a drooling retarded child who has been told to run around and chant a curse word at an inappropriate time.
Yeah I got a cheap laugh out of it but afterwards I had to pick up a book in hopes of undoing some of the damage I feared had been done to my brain.

Bulletstorm is stupid and its stupidity is beyond words, which is saying a lot because my tolerance for stupidity is really quite high, I have 2 younger brothers and one of my favorite games is House of the Dead: Overkill.

I honestly don't care most of the time what FOX news says, But I am worried that the controversy will end up making the game sell more copies, But oh well maybe the inevitable Bulletstorm-shitstorm will take some of the heat away from Duke Nukem Forever (A game I'm looking forward to) which by what I have seen opens with Duke receiving Fellatio while playing an Xbox ......... outstanding (^_^)

Edit: I did however feel that Bulletstorm had some very homo-erotic overtones. like when I was told to guide my "Foot up someones Poo Passage" and I thought to myself "WOW!! big muscle bound men doing things to other mens "Poo Passage" thats kind of gay."

Note: I mean no disrespect to ANY gay people and am only making an observation.
Also my gay friend Chris agrees with me (^_^)
The game's practically a parody. It's kinda the point.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
gigastar said:
Some guy on the forum beat you to it. Here ill quote myself!
gigastar said:
Latest on the Fox News shit machine...

Sexual content and violence in games!
Focusing on Bulletstorm when there are dozens, possibly hundreds of other, better examples in both the sex and violence are even more extreme. We even had a great one less than two weeks ago.

Oh Fox, why wont you just live up to your name and be shot by professional hunters and mauled by dogs already?

Afterthought: Wonder what its going to be like when theyre choking on Duke Nukem Forever.... pfffffFFFFFFffft
Remember guys, some games are Rated M for Manly. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RatedMForManly]

It should contain something like that

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
A psychologist we asked reinforces our opinion.

The thousands of experts we could have pulled off of the streets who would disagree and would like to explain why were conveniently unavailable for comment.

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
Sigh, my desk now has a permanent face impression with the label 'Use in case of Fox Bullsh*t'

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
GotMalkAvian said:
Is there any video game that conservative media doesn't see as a rape trainer of some sort?
Probably a video game where you are a rock that just sits there or rolls around a little bit, unless there's moss growing on it. Freaking moss having sex on that poor innocent rock. Now that rock will grow up to be a mass rapist and go on to violate sand, mud, and other rocks. Maybe an animal or two.

OT: Reports like the one starting this thread are why I stopped watching the news years ago. All the blame is shoved on the producer of something and never the fault of the consumer who either don't bother to look past the pretty packaging or know what they're getting already. One opinion being supported by outdated facts twisted and simplified and then shoved into people's faces more than the offending material they're trying to insult.

Blame the parents for not looking at the rating or bothering to understand what it means. Blame the kid for 'borrowing' a credit card to buy games online. Hell, blame the store for having employees who don't bother to check IDs for things that could be dangerous for kids to have.

Now if Bulletstorm was done to look like whatever the latest kid fad is, then souped up with tits and guns and thinly veiled suggestions of what to do to your parents if they take the game away... Then I'd say that Fox News wasn't completely off their observation when they say the game will corrupt your kid. Guess what. Bulletstorm doesn't do that.

*gets off her soap box*

mrtenk

Aug 4, 2009
yup. a fair and balanced news network driven by fundamental conservative American values such as smaller government, the preservation of constitutional rights (such as freedom of speech), and an open market for business growth.

it all makes sense in context with this article. now if you'll excuse me i'm going to go try and use this screw driver too dig out my own eyeballs.

Battenbergcake

Oct 4, 2009
I'm so glad people are working this out instead, i dunno; curing cancer, putting a colony on mars, stopping global warming, fixing world poverty,i mean their all important but the world has a right to know that such games will lead young people down a long and winding road to self destruction.
Oh also obligatory picture;

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
gigastar said:
Some guy on the forum beat you to it. Here ill quote myself!
gigastar said:
Latest on the Fox News shit machine...

Sexual content and violence in games!
Focusing on Bulletstorm when there are dozens, possibly hundreds of other, better examples in both the sex and violence are even more extreme. We even had a great one less than two weeks ago.

Oh Fox, why wont you just live up to your name and be shot by professional hunters and mauled by dogs already?

Afterthought: Wonder what its going to be like when theyre choking on Duke Nukem Forever.... pfffffFFFFFFffft
Remember guys, some games are Rated M for Manly. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RatedMForManly]
NO! Not that place! I've only just escaped! *rocks back and forth*[small]I miss sunlight...[/small]

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
Unfortunately the implication of a rising rape rate in their article is kept within a quote of someone else who said it, so you can only concretely prove that the speaker was lying through their teeth and the writer just quoted the lie.

Fox is usually pretty good about that: publishing an article that is full of demonstrably false information, but keeping it in a context where the falsities can all be blamed on a third party.

This isn't to say that Fox doesn't deliberately falsify information on their own. New World Communications v. Akre (NWC being a Fox affiliate) proved this when, during an appeal by Fox, the judge noted that Akre had convincingly demonstrated that Fox had ordered her and her husband to falsify a news report, but that she was not entitled to whistleblower protections because it isn't a crime to knowingly falsify the news.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.2dca.org/opinions/Opinion_Pages/Opinion_Page_2003/February/February%252014,%25202003/2D01-529.pdf

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
To be fair: "Young Minds"

It doesn't matter what the hell they claimed after that the box doesn't say E then it's already moot as "Young Minds" should not be experiencing it.
I will however shake my head at the rest.

"The increase in rapes can be attributed in large part* to the playing out of [sexual] scenes in videogames,"
Really?
Really!?
Did you catch that?
Not just SOME rape is attributed, but MOST* rape.

Name one game that exists in the mainstream North American market that a young kid could buy and imitate.
GTA doesn't count it's off screen save for the dancing and the whatever, Dragon Age is only going to teach them how to hug with their clothes still safely on. Mass Effect is going to lead them down the road of paranormal investigation and then to a non lust fueled meaningful relationship with a committed and mature Asari.

Now name a simple thousand or so movies that will have more sex and put it on screen in a more instructive way.
I'll go easy on them and not bring up the ease of changing the content filter on Google beyond this cursory mention.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Woodsey said:
Fox News is both informative and intelligent.

See, I can make shit up too.
You should be hired by fox at once.

I really dont understand how such a "news"-firm can get so big? I mean...speculation is one thing...but they seem to just plainly ignore facts. All the time. How can people listen to stuff like this?

I know your average joe is not exactly a rocket scientist...but damn...I weep for humanity.

Marmalade

Mar 23, 2009
Holy motherbouncing pogo stick from the infernal heavens...

I knew they would say something ridiculous about this game but this...

shogunvitto

Feb 9, 2011
Euphemistic language has brought us this doctors and psychologist who are only interested in their own perfect world.. No wonder they come from California.
Sure enough a female who wears revealing clothes doesn't cause the guy to rape her. It was the video game he played!
FAUX NEWS FINEST.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Isn't this the reason why all violent video games with any form of questionable content are Mature rated?
Children are not supposed to play them, don't blame the industry blame the damn parents.

Side not. I have played violent video games all my life, I started with Doom 3D at the age of 3 or 4 can't remember which, at age of 9 I had mastered CTF and I spoke English fluently... And I am O.K at least according to Finnish health-cares psychological department (I had to get tested of all sort of things because ever since I could crawl I never played with other children.)

Grimlock Fett

Apr 14, 2010
HELLO
I AM 12
MY PARENTS LET ME PLAY AN 18 RATED GAME
NOW I AM A RAPIST
WHO IS TO BLAME?

Well Timmy society would have us believe that the game was to blame because of its graphic content but the game clearly states it is intended for humans aged 18 and above!

Do games need to come with an advisory warning for the easily influenced and generally retarded!?

WARNING: THE CONTENT HERE IN SHOULD NOT BE RE-INACTED IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM
.........................FROGGER 3D.........................

I've been shooting people in the face and crotch for years and I'm still an outwardly well balanced member of the society that wants to make my only hobbie flying kites!!!

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
Grimlock Fett said:
HELLO
I AM 12
MY PARENTS LET ME PLAY AN 18 RATED GAME
NOW I AM A RAPIST
WHO IS TO BLAME?

Well Timmy society would have us believe that the game was to blame because of its graphic content but the game clearly states it is intended for humans aged 18 and above!

Do games need to come with an advisory warning for the easily influenced and generally retarded!?

WARNING: THE CONTENT HERE IN SHOULD NOT BE RE-INACTED IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM
.........................FROGGER 3D.........................

I've been shooting people in the face and crotch for years and I'm still an outwardly well balanced member of the society that wants to make my only hobbie flying kites!!!
Fly kites?! Don't you know how dangerous that is? You could hit a power line, or a bird, or another person if the kite falls. No, what you need is nice, safe, bubble wrap that's already been popped. Just be sure not to get it near your face or you could suffocate. Not that we'd hold you responsible for it. Someone should put warnings on the stuff about how dangerous it can be. (It's late and I just want to make snarky comments at how 'dangerous' everything is these days.)

EDIT for spelling. It really is late.