Fox News Takes Aim at "Offensive" Duke Nukem Forever

Shinja27

Apr 14, 2009
Wow Fox news is pretty much useless when it comes to picking games to criticize, I don't see them criticizing day time television like real house wives, where it's okay to be a spoiled woman and doing what you want cause your husband is loaded. How about MTV next and all the hip hop artists, like kids are ever going to really get a job by talking ghetto slang, and no manager at McDonalds isn't a "real" job. There are worse things that degrade women in this world then Duke Nukem. I am sure if half the gaming community started writing reviews about Fox News they would get the picture

XShrike

Sep 11, 2007
Is this really unexpected? I remember the fit they threw over Mass Effect where the person they got against admitted that they never played the game and only heard about it.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
XShrike said:
Is this really unexpected? I remember the fit they threw over Mass Effect where the person they got against admitted that they never played the game and only heard about it.
Yeah, I remember it, too. I also remember the woman that was slamming Mass Effect had a book that was coming out on Amazon, and the internet crowd destroyed it in the review section. It was pretty hilarious. But like I said, this is going to increase Dukes sales, mark my words, so its not really a bad thing.

DuttyDawn

Nov 4, 2010
As a woman, I'm offended by this game. Wait, no I'm not. I haven't played it yet and if I had, I wouldn't be offended because it's so over the top who can possibly take it seriously? Oh, right...Fox News. Nevermind.

Lissa-QUON

Jun 22, 2009
Am I the only one vaguely impressed that the "Women's Media Expert" apparently has knowledge of the Duke Nukem games from the 90s?

That said, as a girl gamer who grew up in the 90s and knows about Duke (never played it myself since I was fairly young and not a big FPS fan), I can't actually be bothered to get offended by it. It's over the top, its ridiculous, it KNOWS its ridiculous. I'd rather spend my time being offended by stuff that takes itself seriously then waste time pulling my hair out over satire.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Took em long enough. If anything they should be criticized for taking so damn long to release a game that probably won't be all that groundbreaking.

burgbrand22

Jul 10, 2009
FOX News is critical of violent video games. Big Deal. There are more newsworthy stories out there.

I realize that Fox News has become one of the villains in the internet world, an easy target to gain alot of readers, but I'd rather not see any more news about them here.

matt_newgrove

Aug 1, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
a silly game about killing aliens and boobs isn't going to move us backwards either.
A game about killing aliens and boobs...
Killing aliens and boobs...
Killing boobs...

Hurr! durr! Yay for misreading for comical effect!

Hyrulian Hero

May 20, 2009
The only thing that surprised me in this article is that Duke Nukem Forever waas delayed until July. I mean really, who would have thunk it?

FullMetalZ

Mar 10, 2011
What a shock! Fox took something out of context?! AND they didn't do any actual reporting?! What has gotten into them?!

/sarcasm

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Riff Moonraker said:
Duffeknol said:
Good. Very good. Give it some free publicity. The people that watch Fox News shouldn't be playing video games anyway.
Oh really? So, then, exactly what should we be doing, then? Yep, I watch fox news, and prefer to watch it over the communist news network, anyday, but what I watch is my choice... and it most certainly doesnt make me less of a gamer than you.

Anyway, I do prefer Fox News, but I hate it when they do this. On the plus side, though, the only thing its REALLY doing is drumming up more business for the game. Silver lining, and all that, you know. :)
I know I should deign this with a serious response but I'm afraid I'll get cut off half sentence and smacked in the face with some made up numbers and nonsense rhetoric, dunno why.

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Yawn oh when will they learn that no matter how much they bad mouth a game, it doesn't stop people from playing it (uless it got ban). Oh wait they never will!
Well, honestly, this whole thing works out for everyone. I mean, Fox gets attention, which is probably good for their bottom line. Duke gets attention, which is good for Gearbox's bottom line. We get something to laugh/complain about, which adds to our entertainment.

Provided it doesn't result in any actual game bans, the whole thing hardly has a downside. I mean, you might call it a waste of time, but what was Fox going to report on instead? I'm almost glad to see them impotently taking on a game rather than doing more character assassination of whatever democrat they've decided to center on at the moment.

And for that matter, what was Escapist going to report on instead? It's gaming entertainment news. If we're entertained.... mission accomplished.

Sad Face

Oct 29, 2010
Leave it to Fox News to freak out over nothing and then report about it without doing any actual research.

Like others have said, it's just more press time for the Duke, I'm cool with that.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
but perhaps Fox News should have waited to actually play the game first.
hahaha like that would ever happen. we would never subject ourselves to such debauchery first hand!

and that the game's "depictions of women are extremely harmful, especially to young women.
and we know this because...the game hasn't been released yet but we just know!

...anyway OT:
sooo yeah I'm just hoping the game turns out pretty well and worth a purchase!
Bulletstorm and Homefront were just too short, although I heard Crysis 2 was more appropriately lengthed?