Fox Officially Greenlights Independence Day Sequel

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Jinjer said:
Okay, does anyone think that ID called for a sequel? I mean the movie was okay and it was fun in what it set out to do, but it doesn't really seem like a movie that needs a follow up. And after the aliens already had one fleet blown to smithereens, you'd think that they'd go looking for an easier target.
Boring isn't it? As amusing as the first one was, I really have no urge to see a retread of the same thing. It's a bit dull.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
So in another year or so we should expect to see a Matrix reboot as well? I shouldn't say such things out loud as they very well may come true!

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
No film defined the mid 90's like Independence Day. This was the moment when American stood on top of the world and without a challenger in sight. The Soviet Union had imploded, China was still in development (as was India and Brazil), and Jihadism was something that only affected 'other' parts of the world. The US also had the advantage of competent and popular president. Watching that film, one could imagine this benign American hegemony lasting forever.
How little did any of us know.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
Jinjer said:
Okay, does anyone think that ID called for a sequel?
No, it didn't. The mothership blew up; humanity prevailed.

Though I wonder how they'll survive this time since I'm sure the aliens have, at the least, installed a firewall.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
Wow! Wow...

So this is how empty Hollywood is of ideas? It's a little impressive actually.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Darks63 said:
The first movie was product of its era. A sequel will just not feel the same with the serious business attitude that most movies of this type have nowadays.

You could argue that Battle Los Angeles WAS the gritty modern reboot of independence day.
I don't know, Battleship was pretty close in terms of stupid, over the top action and unbelievably cheesy flag-waving. No doubt someone thinks they can still make a buck out of that.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Why? "Aliens try and take over the world" is hardly a unique concept that's only been tried by Independence Day. The concept of that will attract just as many people as "An I.D. sequel".

To be honest, I've been kinda spoiled by Mass Effect in terms of that concept. "Aliens r evil & wil kil us al!!1!" just seems so boring now in comparison to visualizing what aliens might actually be like. Surely there can be more to them than trying to take over our planet.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
The aliens come back, turns out they assassinated Steve Jobs, so that they can't be hacked by iPhone this time around. What will our plucky heroes do? D:

talker

Nov 18, 2011
Rawbeard said:
The aliens come back, turns out they assassinated Steve Jobs, so that they can't be hacked by iPhone this time around. What will our plucky heroes do? D:
Gabe Newell will come to the rescue with the pledge that if he survives, Half-Life 3 will be made. Eventually. Or maybe Sony and Microsoft will set aside their differences and create an army of Xbox and PS4 themed giant robots, controlled by exceptionally strong-willed mind-melded gamers. Oh, wait...

I need to watch this movie. This clip gave me shivers just from watching it. Good shivers, mind. Like with the Pelennor Fields scene where the Rohirrim come charging in in LotR, or basically any scene where a Big Damn Heroes or Rousing Speech. It's just that kind of moment.

small

Aug 5, 2014
well i did always wonder what happened to the hundreds of thousands of aliens who survived their ships crashing

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
small said:
well i did always wonder what happened to the hundreds of thousands of aliens who survived their ships crashing
Basically XCOM, the UFO is shot down and now we need to go in on foot to clean up the mess!

Rufus Shinra

Oct 11, 2011
Barciad said:
No film defined the mid 90's like Independence Day. This was the moment when American stood on top of the world and without a challenger in sight. The Soviet Union had imploded, China was still in development (as was India and Brazil), and Jihadism was something that only affected 'other' parts of the world. The US also had the advantage of competent and popular president. Watching that film, one could imagine this benign American hegemony lasting forever.
How little did any of us know.
And then Godzilla came, made the whole US military look like morons until it was proven the French were right. True, they kinda caused the problem to begin with [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sykes%E2%80%93Picot_Agreement], but, heh, who cares about that as long as Jean Reno is badass?

Shamanic Rhythm said:
Darks63 said:
The first movie was product of its era. A sequel will just not feel the same with the serious business attitude that most movies of this type have nowadays.

You could argue that Battle Los Angeles WAS the gritty modern reboot of independence day.
I don't know, Battleship was pretty close in terms of stupid, over the top action and unbelievably cheesy flag-waving. No doubt someone thinks they can still make a buck out of that.
Yes, but Battleship gave us hot ship on ship action, which no other movie gave us for a damn long time.

What? Do you think anyone went to see it for its story?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
RicoADF said:
small said:
Basically XCOM, the UFO is shot down and now we need to go in on foot to clean up the mess!
Which could be a surprisingly good movie if it's done right.

Like War of the Worlds. The aliens are now stuck here, they have plasma weapons and most of our military has been destroyed. So cue brutal fighting for who gets the earth in order to survive.

I wonder if it'll be like Battle: Los Angelos.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Rufus Shinra said:
Yes, but Battleship gave us hot ship on ship action, which no other movie gave us for a damn long time.

What? Do you think anyone went to see it for its story?
Especially since every filmed version of War of the Worlds decides that the Thunderchild scene is too awesome(apparently) and skips it. Because why would anyone want to see aliens and warships duking it out?

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Oh nice, a movie from the 1990s that does not need a sequel since in ID4 Earth utterly destroyed the mothership via a computer virus and all the ships worldwide became vulnerable, so what exactly do we go from this point in the storyline that I consider "complete" ?

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
The story seems to imply sequel but also says they haven't decided what they're doing yet....so which is it?

My money's on "reboot" because it what Hollywood likes to do.

This is one film that feels so "90's" that it's hard to watch now.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Squilookle said:
Here's hoping it's called Thanksgiving Day, and this time all the aliens are Turkeys.
With the current state of US politics, it'll probably be "Cinco De Mayo," and guess who we'll be fighting.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
Squilookle said:
Here's hoping it's called Thanksgiving Day, and this time all the aliens are Turkeys.
What the hell; I'm shoving my rolled-up $20 bill at the USB port but it won't go in.

Why doesn't this damn thing work!

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
I don't see how Independence day would need a squeal. Well Hollywood making an unnecessary squeals of old well received movies for easy money is nothing new.