FOX Removes Fantastic Four Sequel From Release Schedule

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
FOX Removes Fantastic Four Sequel From Release Schedule

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1007/1007361.png

Following the critical and financial failure of Josh Trank's Fantastic Four reboot, it looks like the franchise might be dead...for now.

trash his own film on Twitter [http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-11/24/fantastic-four-sequel-cancelled].

These were just a few of the problems facing FOX's Fantastic Four reboot prior to its release, problems which were only exacerbated when the film tanked at the box office [http://variety.com/2015/film/news/fantastic-four-box-office-bomb-1201566230/], pulling in just $160 million worldwide on a $120 million dollar budget and costing FOX some $60 million dollars in total when advertising costs were factored in. Oh, and did I mention the 10% approval rate it scored on Rotten Tomatoes?

So yeah, Fantastic Four was a disaster all around. Yet despite being one of the biggest flops of the year, Fantastic Four producer Simon Kinberg insisted that the film would be receiving a sequel, and FOX even slapped a release date on it: June 9th, 2017.

But the best laid plans sometimes go awry, and as such, FOX has backtracked on that previous statement and officially sequel from its upcoming release schedule [http://comicbook.com/2015/11/24/fantastic-four-sequel-removed-from-foxs-release-schedule/].

Whether this means that FOX is abandoning the franchise altogether (unlikely) or simply buying some more time to rethink and retool the potential sequel (much more likely) remains in question, but one thing's for sure: You can bet your bottom dollar that Josh Trank won't be involved [http://www.vulture.com/2015/08/even-more-fantastic-four-drama-leaks.html].

Source: ComicBook.com [http://comicbook.com/2015/11/24/fantastic-four-sequel-removed-from-foxs-release-schedule/]

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
What an absolutely fantastic turn of events.

Seriously though, I am quite pleased with this move. Better they stop at one shitty movie rather than force another one out.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
ShakerSilver said:

Seriously though, I am quite pleased with this move. Better they stop at one shitty movie rather than force another one out.
God only knows we didn't need another fantastic Spiderman 2 running around.

Although I do suppose some people liked that movie series and actually accused Moviebob of having a vendetta when he trashed it; I haven't seen ANYONE trying to defend this thing!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
ShakerSilver said:

I know right? If movies about a franchise keep sucking, make movies about some other franchise.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I kinda feel like they keep approaching Fantastic Four the wrong way, in that I can think of two methods that may fare better:

1) Intentionally campy movie - Considering the origins of Fantastic Four, they fall in the same situation of Spider-Man where the cause of their powers are just BS and thus the movie should just play along with the silliness instead of trying to be serious. And hey, this method worked with the first two Raimi Spider-Man movies!

2) Don't focus on Fantastic Four, but on Doctor Doom. Seems like people like him as a villain and there hasn't been much of a comic book movie that focuses on the villain instead of the superheroes, so why not try that route?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
http://images2.fanpop.com/images/user_images/DanBackslide-405348_604_358.jpg

Seriously, I have heard NOTHING good about the last FF movie. Still, FOX is gonna churn out another sequel sooner or later. Gotta keep dat license.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
All right! Time to reset the clock!

[timer=08/7/2020 00:00 AM GMT] until the next reboot.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Not surprised with this one. Not surprised at all.

Considering Fox just made this so they could keep the movie rights, I doubt anyone really expected it to succeed. Hell, that's why X-men First Class was such a surprise hit: it wasn't supposed to be a success.

Fox will just write it off and probably get some money back from their insurance or something.

SerBrittanicus

Jul 22, 2013
I thought there was a rumour going round that Fox had done some kind of deal with Marvel regarding the Fantastic Four rights, so that they could get the TV rights for X-men. Either way if Marvel can obtain any involvement with the rights it can only be a good thing.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
kajinking said:
ShakerSilver said:

Although I do suppose some people liked that movie series and actually accused Moviebob of having a vendetta when he trashed it; I haven't seen ANYONE trying to defend this thing!
I liked it :(

I don't think it was a masterpiece, but I really don't see how it inspired so much vitriol.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Compatriot Block said:
kajinking said:
ShakerSilver said:

I liked it :(

I don't think it was a masterpiece, but I really don't see how it inspired so much vitriol.
I think it's a combination of it not being great and the politics of FOX hoarding licensees by churning out crappy sequels.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
kajinking said:
I haven't seen ANYONE trying to defend this thing!
Our own GoodBadFlicks guy, Cecil, was defending Fant-Four-Stic.
So, wait... Marvel isn't getting the FF back like it was rumored? That sucks.

I don't see how merely canceling this scheduled sequel is any consolation. I mean, Fox could have made a good movie, if they cared about the property beyond maintaining the movie rights.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Good. It was awful. And all that talk on how the studio to blame was awful. Everyone involved from the director to the actors phoned it in.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
SerBrittanicus said:
I thought there was a rumour going round that Fox had done some kind of deal with Marvel regarding the Fantastic Four rights, so that they could get the TV rights for X-men. Either way if Marvel can obtain any involvement with the rights it can only be a good thing.
It wasn't a rumour, it was an actual piece printed here on The Escapist.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
Good, the first one was really bad. It's just another heartless reboot sequel anyway, not like anything of actual value was lost.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SerBrittanicus said:
There's been a rumour like that off and on for a couple years now. They got stronger after the deal with Sony. If it's true, both studios are being very quiet about it.
008Zulu said:
It wasn't a rumour, it was an actual piece printed here on The Escapist.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142847-Fantastic-Four-Switches-From-Fox-To-Marvel-For-X-Men-TV-Rights-Rumor

Both the url and the headline marked it as a rumour, and so did the original story. It was then denied specifically by executives, as is listed in the updated story.