Fox Threatens Simpsons Cast: Take Pay Cut or Die!

Jun 11, 2008
The Simpsons has unfortunately become like an old dog you have had for years. It seems to cruel to let it suffer when its legs are shaking from arthritis, loss of memory and thinks it is a puppy and being incontinent. Time to take Old Yeller out behind the shed or to the vet. We had many good years and many long memorable laughs but sometimes it is just best to let something die in peace.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
RoseArch said:
... Give that pay to a middle class citizen and they can probably squeeze many years worth of healthy living out of that. ...

Yeah FOX is clearly going to give money to the common people. Sure.

OT: I dont care if the show ends. yes, it will suck, and Animation Domination will suck on sundays without the Simpsons to head it off. But I have the seasons on DVD (at least the first ten or so), so Im happy with that. IM pissed at the raw deal Fox is bitching about. you're telling me FOX, that they cant take a 30 percent pay cut and get in on the syndication they're so deserving of? No, no.

Even if the simpsons stop, Fox will still make money on it. it will still be on TV for years because it has two decades worth of generations that know and acknowledge it as something they like to watch. There will still be merch sales, and fox will get money from any remotely simpsons related.

The cast will get nothing once the episodes stop. And yes, its all well and good that those in the lower classes can look at that and say oh boohoo, they wont keep making money, they should have saved it for when the money stopped. its just unfortunate that once you come into a very good livings amount of money that doesnt seem to show a signs of stopping, you dont think that way.

So... yeah, Fuck Fox I guess.

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
I'm not even halfway convinced that Fox would actually do this, the series in question is too popular.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
....I prefer the newer episodes of the Simpsons. The old ones weren't that funny to me...

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
What would Fox have without the simpsons? I don't think family guy could hold it up... I mean yeah the voice actors pay is a little extravagent...but who's fault is that...fox execs. It is a cultural icon worth more than money in my opinion.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
DarkEyedBlues said:
gallaetha_matt said:
Also, they're getting paid £8 million a year and they're moaning that it's not enough?
You misread, the $8mill is their current pay and Fox want's to cut that in half, probably to fund other bad shows that wont last a season, or Fox News.
Yeah, I did kind've skip a few bits there. I just wanted to do a Nancy Cartwright scientology joke so badly.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I think people who are saying they should take the pay cut are missing the point here. These are the guys who make the show, and Fox itself has been making billions of dollars off of it, with no end in sight as the show is quite iconic. With the amount of money Fox is making, why should these guys be the ones to take the pay cuts? I very much doubt the show has stopped making enough money to justify those salaries, it's probably producers wanting to maximize profits by cutting costs. If the show was losing money in any way, shape, or form, then the offer of trading a pay cut for a percentage of the profits would be fairly attractive.

To be honest I think this stinks, I think there is a growing amount of disrespect in the TV industry for their talent since the entire "Charlie Sheen explosion", and even he had some pretty solid points about the amount of money they were making off of him, he was just a jerk about it. I think a lot of people see what happened with Charlie, and figure they can now leverage a lot of their highly paid talent, in hopes they see the example made of him and say "well, we can do this to anyone".

There is another aspect of this as well, and that's simply that the guys doing "The Simpsons" have been biting the hand that feeds them, which is never a good idea. Some of you might remember discussions revolving around an episode that featured a Fox news helicopter that had "Not racist, but #1 with racists" on the side or something like that, and apparently that wasn't their first move like that even if it was one of the more overt ones. The lack of any kind of immediate backlash right then and there doesn't mean that the guys in charge don't bide their time. The Simpsons has some fluctuations in performance, and now people that might have sucked it up to begin with are using it to justify cutting the pay of a group of people that doubtlessly contributed to slotting them off.

My basic point with all of this is that I think the situation is far less straightforward, and that there is a lot of thought behind it. Right now the response that these guys should take a pay cut is EXACTLY what Fox is banking on since it puts them in a position where it will seem fairly sympathetic if they DO decide to cut the show. That's one of the reasons
why a point is being made about these guys getting 8 million dollars a year, the numbers are usually kept vague unless there is a reason to release them, and the reason here is they want people to go "WTF, 8 million a year for voicing cartoon characters?". That's a lot until you consider these guys are big name actors (as 23 years of success attests), most of them probably could have gone on to many othr projects but instead remained committed to Fox and keeping this franchise running for them.

Fox are being a group of jerks, but at the same time I think the voice actors probably brought this upon themselves. A bit of political satire is one thing, but when you insult your bosses and their platform(s) directly, and rely on being too big for them to do anything... well that kind of thing tends to backlash in the long run. As I said, I think there is some payback here, the whole "helicopter" thing just being one of the more infamous examples, there have been others.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Voices aren't the problem, the writers are.

I don't know how much or how little they are paid but as far as I am concerned the new Simpsons writers should PAY ME for all the bilge they have put on TV and how they are utterly buttfucked such a great series. I say to them, don't accept the cuts. Just let it die.

How about Fox spends money on BETTER WRITERS!

Or maybe money isn't the problem, Futurama is poor as hell yet is excellent, of the recent series every episode has been like the best Simpsons Halloween special. Anything can happen, and the jokes could literally go anywhere, any time, any strange sci-fi or fantasy concept is available at any time.

I gave up on the simpsons over a decade ago, Futurama is were it is all at.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Well, ratings have been in decline for a while now, and merchandising is no longer the juggernaut the show itself parodies with Krusty merchandise.

The show's just too many rehashed jokes and plots to be funny anymore. Let it go, or at least go to another network whereit may find new life.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
RoseArch said:
Jesus H. Christ. Quit your bitching and take the paycut. Give that pay to a middle class citizen and they can probably squeeze many years worth of healthy living out of that. FFS.
And you know how much they make because?

OT: fox please don't. I'm one of those people who like the simpsons after the animation improved and voice acting got better. So post 90's simpsons is still good.

Davih

May 7, 2011
The voice actors can't go from $8 million to $4.4 million a year? Really? $4.4 million isn't enough for everything you need?
Then again, I don't see why Fox can't give them a 30% cut instead. Fox still save $14.4 million a year instead of their proposed saving of $21.6 million.

Everyone stop being greedy.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Ok, well can't really say that I'd miss the Simpsons at this point. It's best years are behind it, and I daresay it's about time someone took it behind the shed and tearfully put both barrels into the back of its head.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Just end the damn show.

It has been garbage ever since it got bumped down from 18+ pg 14 or whatever it is now, they lost their humor and became a blunt, double ham fisted gossip rag about celeb shenanigans and poorly written jokes, and slapstick, that I think only used to be there to fill in spots where people didn't understand the deeper jokes.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
45% seems awfully steep. I'm not saying a paycut isn't needed but 45% is a lot...

Davih said:
The voice actors can't go from $8 million to $4.4 million a year? Really? $4.4 million isn't enough for everything you need?
Then again, I don't see why Fox can't give them a 30% cut instead. Fox still save $14.4 million a year instead of their proposed saving of $21.6 million.

Everyone stop being greedy.
In these situations its rarely that they cannot survive on 4.4 million its that they have been getting 8 million for so long they likely have debts that require that amount of money to pay off. Its easy to say you could happily survive off 4.4 million but when you are used to 8 million its a big change.

Thats not to say they shouldn't get some sort of pay cut to save the series but 45% is huge...

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Don't take it! Force a cancel. I find the weather funnier to watch these days T.T"

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Eight million between them all, or each?

Either way, see if you can guess how much sympathy I can muster while just above minimum wage.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
TO be honest They should go out on one big last episode where they really stick it to fox. They've done it in the past but they could real hurt them. Of course fox won't air the final episode(if it really makes fun of them)... but thats what torrents and online streaming are for. See if they can pass it off to some un traceable middle man and we all get to laugh at fox for 22 minutes.

Let it end but go out in style.