Fox Threatens Simpsons Cast: Take Pay Cut or Die!

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
I used to love the Simpsons so much but I have to say, I would love to see a Simpsons grand finale. Just a perfect send-off to the Simpsons. I hope they do something nice if they end it... not how it seems to be going. With a whimper instead of a bang.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
RoseArch said:
Jesus H. Christ. Quit your bitching and take the paycut. Give that pay to a middle class citizen and they can probably squeeze many years worth of healthy living out of that. FFS.
Exactly. I'm thinking I'll come away from my Royal Marines service with £50,000 piled salary once taxed. Bringing it to about 80 grand American (I want to move to America) and that's enough for me to make a start building the life I want, if I can settle to a nice writing career.

So, after four years of risking my life god knows where, I'll have saved up (assuming I make no extravagant purchases.) a 114th of their salary. Kind of a kick in the nuts if I put it like that, but it's all I need for what I want to do.

Edit: hit a seven on my calculator. A hundredth (shut up, it's late) of their salary.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
You know, I want it to end. As much as more recent series have been poor, I love the show. I spent my childhood watching it, and it's sad to see it drag on. I would be happy for there to be a final, brilliant episode to wrap it all up. I think they could pull that off. I can console myself with Futurama

But still, fuck you Fox. Just fuck you.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
You mean they'll only make around $4 MILLION a year if they take a pay cut?

Say it ain't so!!!

Let's all face it, The Simpsons just ain't what it used to be. The fact that Fox is trying to cut the pay by 45% because of ratings shows that well enough. As far as I'm concerned, with the quality of the episodes of late, paying them $4 million a year is too much. I'm aware that that's really on the creators' shoulders and not the VA's but the VA's are the ones who seem to be upset with the possibility of "only" getting an annual salary of $4 MILLION CUNTING DOLLARS.

My apologies but I feel that the caps are necessary.

DarkEyedBlues

Apr 16, 2009
V TheSystem V said:
so they're getting around $400,000 an episode. A 45% cut would lower their takings for an episode to just above $200,000. To be honest, they're earning a hell of a lot for voice work. 20 minutes of voice work an episode
$200,000 an episode is actually pretty low for a tv cast thats been on the air this long. That's less then the guy who plays house, or tina fey, or steve carell when he was on the office and A LOT less then charlie sheen or jerry sienfield when they were on.

And they are in there more then 20 minutes, as they each voice an average of 4 characters.

If you voiced 4 of the most memorable tv characters ever and had been doing so for the past 20 years, how much should you expect to make?

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
Licensed musical montages and perplexing celebrity cameos ruined this once brilliant series. However I'd hate to see what the alternative is. This is FOX we're talking about here. They'll wipe The Simpsons out to save money and plow that cash into new reality shows and nationalist hate speech.

I think we're better off with seeing ten minute 'Watching Scotty Grow' montages and cameos from those chaps from The Hills to be honest.

Also, they're getting paid £8 million a year and they're moaning that it's not enough? That's like a fat person going to Ethiopia and claiming that he can't find a McDonalds anywhere. I mean, how bad is Nancy Cartwrights Thetan level if she needs that kind of cash? How many aliens can one woman exorcise?

My captcha: andsnot comprehend.

I really can't.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
first duke nukem forever is released then friends changes channel and now the simpsons could get cancelled, are there no certainties in live anymore!!!

DarkEyedBlues

Apr 16, 2009
gallaetha_matt said:
Also, they're getting paid £8 million a year and they're moaning that it's not enough?
You misread, the $8mill is their current pay and Fox want's to cut that in half, probably to fund other bad shows that wont last a season, or Fox News.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I don't really think this will be much of an issue. Whenever Fox discontinues one of their popular series, like they did with Futurama, it gets picked up by another network.
Time-line: Futurama runs on Fox. People like it, people watch it. Fox cancels it. Comedy Central secures the rights to Futurama and starts airing it with huge success. Foc takes back the rights to Futurama at their first chance and agrees to air a few new seasons and produce 4 Futurama movies. Fox cancels Futurama again. Futurama gets picked up by Comedy Central and makes another season and recently got renewed for another one. The Simpsons wont die over this, but I still think they could accept the pay cut. They're talented voice actors, but they would still earn enough to get by.

kotorfan04

Aug 7, 2009
I do want the Simpsons to end, but I don't want it to end with Fox pulling the plug. I would like to see them have time to build up a proper finale as opposed to just being suddenly dropped by FOX

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
It would be odd to see The Simpsons go, considering both that it is older than me and that it is had a constant presence in my life in terms of entertainment almost since I can remember.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
DarkEyedBlues said:
V TheSystem V said:
so they're getting around $400,000 an episode. A 45% cut would lower their takings for an episode to just above $200,000. To be honest, they're earning a hell of a lot for voice work. 20 minutes of voice work an episode
$200,000 an episode is actually pretty low for a tv cast thats been on the air this long. That's less then the guy who plays house, or tina fey, or steve carell when he was on the office and A LOT less then charlie sheen or jerry sienfield when they were on.

And they are in there more then 20 minutes, as they each voice an average of 4 characters.

If you voiced 4 of the most memorable tv characters ever and had been doing so for the past 20 years, how much should you expect to make?
I'm pretty sure damn near everyone here would be willing to voice the entire fucking cast for $200,000 a year, let alone $200,000 an episode.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
V TheSystem V said:
20 minutes of voice work an episode, if that, and they want money from the merchandising and stuff too?
The rest of your points are completely valid, but you do know that they don't just walk in, say 20 minutes worth of dialogue, then leave, right? The actual recording of the dialogue can take as much as a week, not counting table reads, pre-production, etc. $8 million is still a ludicrous amount, but the work much more involved than most people think it is.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Meanwhile, Charlie Sheen was getting paid $2m per episode before he left Two and a Half Men.

Sigh.

And yes, I do realise it's a different network and all. I'm just sighing that the ratings can apparently support dreck like Two and a Half Men but not the Simpsons.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
Lukeje said:
So is this paycut so that they can afford to recommission Arrested Development? 'Cos if that's the case then I'm behind it.
No, its to opay Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity their salaries.

Did that change your opinion? Why? Same company making money, dude.
Your statement doesn't make sense. My point was that I don't mind as long as the money is put towards things I want to watch. This means that the company makes no money (directly) out of this and instead reinvests it.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Greg Tito said:
Even my ten year old self didn't think The Simpsons was going to be around for more than two decades. Heck, I thought the Christmas special [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpsons_Roasting_on_an_Open_Fire] was funny and all but I firmly believed that America wasn't ready for a prime time cartoon. Like the rest, I was dead wrong.
You thought "America is not ready for a prime time cartoon." at ten years old? I'm sure you then folded up your copy of the wall street journal and headed off to watch meet the press. I guess you were more savvy than I was. At ten years old when I heard they were getting a show I put down my GI Joes and said "Yaaaaaaay".