Fox Unveils Gotham's Alfred Pennyworth

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013

Sean Pertwee's Alfred has been revealed in new images released by Fox.

Fox's Gotham is shaping up to be an interesting beast. Part be interpreted by the show.

Adding to the stockpile of information, in turn, are new images from the series' production showing off <a href=http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0675730/?ref_=nv_sr_1>actor Sean Pertwee in his role as butler extraordinaire Alfred Pennyworth. To his credit, Pertwee looks fairly natural in the role. Then again, when it comes to Batman characters, Alfred probably isn't the hardest one to nail casting wise. All you really need to do is find a British actor who can deliver a good dry quip and you're pretty much golden.

Nonetheless, it's good to learn more about the show and we look forward to seeing Pertwee's "tough-as-nails ex-Marine" Alfred in action. Moreover, it will be interesting to contrast his performance with Michael Caine's recent take on the character as well as <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131876-Jesse-Eisenberg-Cast-as-Lex-Luthor-Jeremy-Irons-as-Alfred-in-Man-of-Steel-Sequel>Jeremy Irons upcoming rendition in Zack Snyder's Batman vs. Superman flick.

Source: TV Line

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Fuck yeah, finally a role he won't die in within the first 5 minutes.

Also, I had no idea the series were even happening.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Am I the only one who had trouble reading that first paragraph?

"onBatman" "keys characters" "shying"

All of that sounds off to me when I read it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
No idea who this guy is but I guess he looks OK.

Kmadden2004 said:
He looks kind of like David Lynch in that photo...
I would love to see David Lynch as Gordon Cole as Alfred.

HELLO MASTER BRUCE!

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I've always wanted to see more Sean Pertwee, and now I can :) (its because of his voice, its the same reason I want to see more Michael Wincott).

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
StewShearer said:

Sean Pertwee's Alfred has been revealed in new images released by Fox.

Fox's Gotham is shaping up to be an interesting beast. Part be interpreted by the show.

Adding to the stockpile of information, in turn, are new images from the series' production showing off <a href=http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0675730/?ref_=nv_sr_1>actor Sean Pertwee in his role as butler extraordinaire Alfred Pennyworth. To his credit, Pertwee looks fairly natural in the role. Then again, when it comes to Batman characters, Alfred probably isn't the hardest one to nail casting wise. All you really need to do is find a British actor who can deliver a good dry quip and you're pretty much golden.

Nonetheless, it's good to learn more about the show and we look forward to seeing Pertwee's "tough-as-nails ex-Marine" Alfred in action. Moreover, it will be interesting to contrast his performance with Michael Caine's recent take on the character as well as <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131876-Jesse-Eisenberg-Cast-as-Lex-Luthor-Jeremy-Irons-as-Alfred-in-Man-of-Steel-Sequel>Jeremy Irons upcoming rendition in Zack Snyder's Batman vs. Superman flick.

Source: TV Line

Shouldn't that read ex-Royal Marine?

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Kmadden2004 said:
Eh, more David Lynch crossed with Robin Williams to me.

OT: That last name was sticking in my head for a while, so I looked it up and it hit me: he's the son of Jon Pertwee, the actor who played The Third Doctor. Bonus geek points! :-D

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
captainsavvy said:
I do love me some Sean Pertwee!
And he ends up looking more and more like his father everytme I see him.
Yes its scarey how much he looks like his dad.
Johnny Novgorod said:
No idea who this guy is but I guess he looks OK.

Kmadden2004 said:
I would love to see David Lynch as Gordon Cole as Alfred.

HELLO MASTER BRUCE!
Sean Pertwee is actor who normally plays supporting roles or leads in British B movies. His farther, John, was the fourth Dr Who.

Off topic: Its 25 years tomorrow (26/3/14) since Laura Palmer said to agent Cooper I will see you in 25 years. I wonder if Lynch will do something.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
albino boo said:
Off topic: Its 25 years tomorrow (26/3/14) since Laura Palmer said to agent Cooper I will see you in 25 years. I wonder if Lynch will do something.
He'll probably just make a video describing the weather or something like that :p I'm sorry to suspect he's retired Twin Peaks off his head.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
albino boo said:
He'll probably just make a video describing the weather or something like that :p I'm sorry to suspect he's retired Twin Peaks off his head.
However he will be holding a log and have an owl on his shoulder while drinking a damn fine cup of coffee.

Adept Mechanicus

Oct 14, 2012
The new Alfred is the son of former Doctor Who star Jon Pertwee. The Alfred in Tim Burton's 1987 Batman was played by Michael Gough, who played a Doctor Who villain called the Celestial Toymaker in 1966. Michael Caine has never been on DW as far as I know, which makes him the odd one out.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
This is the first time I heard of this show, and when I saw this picture come up on my Facebook feed, I spent a good 30 seconds wondering why I recognized this guy. I then read the title of the article, and went "Oohhhhh". He really does look a lot like his father.

Also, Jeremy Irons is going to play him in the movie? Well... alright, I may see it.