Fox Won't Share Simpsons Profits With Actors

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Fox Won't Share Simpsons Profits With Actors

The cast of The Simpsons is willing to take a pay cut for part of the profits from the show, but Fox doesn't want to share.

Earlier this week, it was revealed that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.316320-Fox-Threatens-Simpsons-Cast-Take-Pay-Cut-or-Die>Fox is in the midst of tense contract negotiations with the cast of The Simpsons. So tense, in fact, that the animated series may not be long for this world, unless the cast members agreed to a 45% paycut. The cast members have all stated that they'd be willing to take a smaller - though still significant - paycut in exchange for a share of the show's (massive) profits. It turns out that Fox isn't willing to play this kind of ball.

According to Harry Shearer (known to fans as Mr. Burns, Principal Skinner, Ned Flanders, and several other characters), Fox's logic for the proposed pay cuts hasn't been explained satisfactorily, and the company simply will not allow the actors to share in the profits:

Fox wants to cut our salaries in half because it says it can't afford to continue making the show under what it calls the existing business model. Fox hasn't explained what kind of new business model it has formulated to keep the show on the air, but clearly the less money they have to pay us in salary, the more they're able to afford to continue broadcasting the show. And to this I say, fine - if pay cuts are what it will take to keep the show on the air, then cut my pay. In fact, to make it as easy as possible for Fox to keep new episodes of The Simpsons coming, I'm willing to let them cut my salary not just 45% but more than 70% - down to half of what they said they would be willing to pay us. All I would ask in return is that I be allowed a small share of the eventual profits.

My representatives broached this idea to Fox yesterday, asking the network how low a salary number I would have to accept to make a profit participation feasible. My representatives were told there was no such number. There were, the Fox people said, simply no circumstances under which the network would consider allowing me or any of the actors to share in the show's success.

Shearer's comments are pretty damning, and it's hard not to find one siding with the cast in this argument. As of right now, Fox certainly looks like it's led by a bunch of greedy, heartless bastards. If the network is really this ruthless towards those who make it tons of money, can you imagine how awful it's been to folks like Joss Whedon?

Source: Deadline

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Please let this degenerate until they have no choice but to end the show. There would be literally no downside.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Fox? Being a dick? How surprising /sarcasm

But honestly I wish that Fox will find someway to make everyone happy and not kill one of its top grossing shows.

ike42

Feb 25, 2009
leet_x1337 said:
We already know how mean Fox is to Joss Whedon.
No joke. Any network so stupid to cut a gem like Firefly after one season must be made up of stupid, heartless bastards. Despite thinking that the actors are in the right though, I do have to say that it's about time The Simpsons finished its run. I remember watching the first season when I was a kid and can't believe it's still on the air. Although, I'm sure Fox will just replace it with another string of garbage like Two and a Half Men.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"As of right now, Fox certainly looks like it's led by a bunch of greedy, heartless bastards. "

No surprise there, then... ba-dum-tish... :'(

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I thought that after The Simpsons Movie, the show only had like, one or two more seasons left anyway. Or that was plan at one point maybe?

Maybe they should have stuck to that idea...

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Seventh Actuality said:
Please let this degenerate until they have no choice but to end the show. There would be literally no downside.
I think they said they were going to end the show after this season, regardless.

OT: Eh, I never really watched the Simpsons.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
You know, as much as I love the Simpsons, I think it's past time that the series left. It's not the show it once was and there should be room for new content on FOX...if only FOX was any good at finding and keeping new content. That being said, I think what FOX is doing with the Simpsons negotiations is completely wrong and absolutely the wrong move on their part and it's going to probably mean a giant loss in profits for FOX. Maybe stockholder wrath will motivate FOX to better business sense.

Feb 13, 2008
vansau said:
As of right now, Fox certainly looks like it's led by a bunch of greedy, heartless bastards.

Smithers, find that reporter and have him...silenced.
I'm sure he only meant it as a compliment, Sir

Didn't the News of the World scandal already tell you, as if you didn't know, that the entire Murdoch empire is far more corrupt than Montgomery Burns ever was?

Because the Simpsons knew it ages ago.

Case in point: http://www.simpsons-intros.com/Intro/1F18

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
It Rupert Murdoch, there is a special cell in Hades reserved just for him.

I would love to see how much he has to pay his bodyguards. The amount of crap he (and people acting on his behest) has got away with over the decades, there must be a conga line of people with big grudges to bare against him.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
They are asking them to take a 45% pay cut off the money they make per episode from a contract that was signed at the time when the ratings were way up there in like 20 million range a week instead of the 7 million range a week of today. Hank Azaria, for example, makes 8 million per episode, and I believe there is a case to be made that that salary is not justified anymore given how the ratings just aren't there to do so. Just because it is FOX doesn't mean that this is an outrage.

I can see how they cannot work out an agreement given how FOX doesn't want them to take a 30% pay cut and share some of the back-end the show makes. Still, I'd take the pay cut and cry myself to the bank with my remaining 4 mil-something. Woe me, but I'm sure I could live with that.

Besides, if all else fails, they can always just de-cancel the show a few years from now when they have a clearer picture and a new deal has been inked. We all know it's happened before.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Seventh Actuality said:
This, so very definitely much.

The Simpsons is a relic of the late 90's and 2000's, it needs to fucking die already.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
leet_x1337 said:
We already know how mean Fox is to Joss Whedon.

eeeyup

List of things Fox can eat a bag of dicks for;

Being Fox
Raping the Simpsons
Fox news
Pimp-Handing the Cast of the Simpsons
Fucking Fox news!!!
Canceling Futurama
Being Fox
Canceling Firefly
and lastly being Fox
hmmm ... you for got existing i think ...

OT: please let this end the show hasn't been good since i was in grade school