France Passes Tough New Law Against Internet Piracy

ZippyDSMlee

New member
Sep 1, 2007
3,959
0
0
Glefistus said:
It's ironic that the first "free" democratic nation is the first to pass this kind of totalitarian law.
Thats because they are more corputed than the US.
Give the US some time and they will catch up... making a back up is illegal in the US since you can't bypass copy protection so soon they will make it so if you are not paying for the net via a metered rate and the site you go to you are some kind of criminal....
 

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
8,946
0
0
Pendragon9 said:
Amnestic said:
Pendragon9 said:
Yes,they wanna punish people on the internet while their educational system deteriorates. Nice use of the money, guys.
Edit2: Link fixed, albeit 'old news' [http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-115850863/u-s-justice-dept.html].

/Stones, glass houses, throwing.
//Politicians suck globally.
Do you really think I blame only France for this? I'm not that biased.
Considering what some people are more than willing to generalise about other countries? I wouldn't put it past the internet, be it you or someone else.
 

bushwhacker2k

New member
Jan 27, 2009
1,587
0
0
As silly as it may sound, being without the internet in this day and age is like being homeless. I know tons of people(who are using the internet) are going to say about how they could deal with not having a connection but the world's a big place and the internet ties it together.
 

ZippyDSMlee

New member
Sep 1, 2007
3,959
0
0
Hardcore_gamer said:
Joeshie said:
GideonB said:
Most of them are teens who just want to get their songs because they cost too damn much! Why don't greedy people listen if they wanna get their shit noticed, make it cheap!
If they cost too damn much, then don't buy them. Complaining about the cost of a Playstation 3 doesn't give you the right to walk into a store and steal it.

Dear Pirates: Music, movies, games and other forms of entertainment aren't an inherent human right. Stop trying to justify your robbing of money. Thanks.
True. But what some people here don't seem to understand is that allow of people (including myself) hate these kind of law not because it's anti-piracy but because they make it ok for the state to spy on internet users. If the Icelandic government were ever to create some sort of a internet police then i might actually consider packing my things and leave the country.
That and unless there is a profit/money being made there is no crime begin made, at least not on the scale that requires such draconian tactics... didn't they say tapeing was going to destroy the racket...er... I mean industry? Really the media mafia needs to get over themselves and evolve with the times....
 

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
2,682
0
0
Amnestic said:
Pendragon9 said:
Amnestic said:
Pendragon9 said:
Yes,they wanna punish people on the internet while their educational system deteriorates. Nice use of the money, guys.
Edit2: Link fixed, albeit 'old news' [http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-115850863/u-s-justice-dept.html].

/Stones, glass houses, throwing.
//Politicians suck globally.
Do you really think I blame only France for this? I'm not that biased.
Considering what some people are more than willing to generalise about other countries? I wouldn't put it past the internet, be it you or someone else.
That's a little hypocritical. You yourself made an assumption about Pendragon based on a generalization of the internet culture. And thus that is why I honestly couldn't care less if people generalize because we all do it, and pretending like you're above it all because "you don't generalize" is a load of horse shit.
 

ygetoff

New member
Oct 22, 2008
1,019
0
0
My view on piracy is: if i pirate is caught downloading copyrighted files (or anything they would normally have to pay for) without the permission of the person who made the thing, they should have to compensate the creator of the files the full price, plus the creator can choose any "humiliation" style punishment, ranging from having the creator take something from the pirate that they worked hard on (small things), up to, say, making them stand in the street wearing a sign saying, "I deprived an artist of their hard-earned income" (or something along those lines).
 

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
8,946
0
0
SuperFriendBFG said:
Amnestic said:
Pendragon9 said:
Amnestic said:
Pendragon9 said:
Yes,they wanna punish people on the internet while their educational system deteriorates. Nice use of the money, guys.
Edit2: Link fixed, albeit 'old news' [http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-115850863/u-s-justice-dept.html].

/Stones, glass houses, throwing.
//Politicians suck globally.
Do you really think I blame only France for this? I'm not that biased.
Considering what some people are more than willing to generalise about other countries? I wouldn't put it past the internet, be it you or someone else.
That's a little hypocritical. You yourself made an assumption about Pendragon based on a generalization of the internet culture. And thus that is why I honestly couldn't care less if people generalize because we all do it, and pretending like you're above it all because "you don't generalize" is a load of horse shit.
I'm not above it. Of course I made a generalisation. To say otherwise would be silly. If I came off as holier-than-thou that was my bad, but when I said "I wouldn't put it past the internet", you have to bear in mind that...well, I am part of those internets.
 

IxionIndustries

New member
Mar 18, 2009
2,238
0
0
So.. France is trying to act tough, and hop on the anti-piracy bandwagon too? Oh well, every dog has it's day I suppose..

But why can't they learn the whole anti-piracy thing is futile?
Also, if they put this law in effect, isn't that kind of in violation of the human right to privacy? I mean, the only way they are going to catch these guys is if they start spying on them, and everyone else. Seems kind of Orwellian, don't you think?

pimppeter2 said:
I just learned we have a fundamental human right to Internet Access. Thats kinda weird
It's kind of odd that we have to pay for this right.. I demand internet be free!

ygetoff said:
My view on piracy is: if i pirate is caught downloading copyrighted files (or anything they would normally have to pay for) without the permission of the person who made the thing, they should have to compensate the creator of the files the full price, plus the creator can choose any "humiliation" style punishment, ranging from having the creator take something from the pirate that they worked hard on (small things), up to, say, making them stand in the street wearing a sign saying, "I deprived an artist of their hard-earned income" (or something along those lines).
There's a very fine line between getting vengeance, and just being a dick. I can understand a developer getting upset, and making a pirate pay for the downloads, but doing something like sending them out in the street, dressed like a hot-dog, wearing a sign that says "I illegally downloaded." while moonwalking, seems kinda ridiculous.
 

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
2,682
0
0
Amnestic said:
SuperFriendBFG said:
Amnestic said:
Pendragon9 said:
Amnestic said:
Pendragon9 said:
Yes,they wanna punish people on the internet while their educational system deteriorates. Nice use of the money, guys.
Edit2: Link fixed, albeit 'old news' [http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-115850863/u-s-justice-dept.html].

/Stones, glass houses, throwing.
//Politicians suck globally.
Do you really think I blame only France for this? I'm not that biased.
Considering what some people are more than willing to generalise about other countries? I wouldn't put it past the internet, be it you or someone else.
That's a little hypocritical. You yourself made an assumption about Pendragon based on a generalization of the internet culture. And thus that is why I honestly couldn't care less if people generalize because we all do it, and pretending like you're above it all because "you don't generalize" is a load of horse shit.
I'm not above it. Of course I made a generalisation. To say otherwise would be silly. If I came off as holier-than-thou that was my bad, but when I said "I wouldn't put it past the internet", you have to bear in mind that...well, I am part of those internets.
Yes, well I was merely pointing out the irony about telling someone that they are generalizing when you yourself were making a generalization while pointing it out. To be honest I'm a bit annoyed at people who get way offended over comments like "Those dumb Americans" or "Those dirty brits." You know, the usual crap.
 

Jiki

New member
Jan 21, 2008
53
0
0
Heh, it took them three tries to at last start bribing the right people. Well, congratz to them, in the end it's still doubtful that it matters any.
 

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
726
0
0
Harhar,reading that the socialist party is against it is not surprising.
If the president does anything,they ***** and whine,and I have only one person to blame,and the poetical little title I gave her about 3-ish years ago now is situated right above this word.

On topic:I really don't get why the government is trying to do this again.It will fail and will inevitably end up using up more of MY money.
Besides,how do they know what files to look for?
They can't ban entire P2P systems,they are alot of very legal files shared using that system.

Why must my country shame me?
 

Doug

New member
Apr 23, 2008
5,205
0
0
Arassar said:
Coming next: French water and power companies cut off your utilities! Do anything illegal and you do it in the dark while really thirsty!

I know our legal system has plenty of problems, but at least stuff like this isn't within the purview of some random judge without any kind of due process.
You think thats bad, we have an unelected weasel ('Lord' Peter Mandelson)effectively saying they'll cut us off in the UK without even a trial!
 

Booze Zombie

New member
Dec 8, 2007
7,416
0
0
Psst... don't tell anyone, but constantly spying on people so as to prevent crime is pretty illegal, 'kay?

Human rights? What are those?
 

Avaholic03

New member
May 11, 2009
1,520
0
0
Nomad said:
I don't know how things are in the US, but in industrialized society, the internet is pretty necessary. I'm a student in Sweden, and for me to access my student loan and grant, I pretty much have to have my own stable internet access at home. If I don't, then it'll be hard for me to use my BankID, which I need to pay my bills and access my money supply. I can't use an internet cafe or library for that, because it requires a special security application to be installed and customized on my computer in order to work. And in order for me to carry out my studies, I need to use the Student Network to sign up for tests and classes. I can't do that without the internet. I suppose I could do it via the university computers, but then I'd need to travel at least an extra 10km per day in order to stay up to date, which would seriously hamper my economy. I have hundreds more examples of why I would be very hard pressed to manage my day-to-day life without the internet, but I think this should suffice to make you realize that your reality doesn't equal everyone else's. Regardless of how computer-independent the US is, there are plenty of countries that aren't.
Like I said, it's a convenience. You could always...you know...go to the bank to do your banking. And like you said, you could go to the university to do your school stuff. If it's that inconvenient, and the internet makes your life that much easier...well then, I guess don't download illegally in France. But if you didn't have home internet access, that's not on the same level as, say, being incarcerated without cause, being starved or dehydrated, etc. I guess you've just gotten soft if you compare driving 10km out of your way to being deprived of a real fundamental human right.
 

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
8,946
0
0
SuperFriendBFG said:
Yes, well I was merely pointing out the irony about telling someone that they are generalizing when you yourself were making a generalization while pointing it out. To be honest I'm a bit annoyed at people who get way offended over comments like "Those dumb Americans" or "Those dirty brits." You know, the usual crap.
I tend not to be offended so much as amused, because those are usually the pinnacle of the pot calling the kettle black scenarios. I point them out in the hopes that people understand that others will generalise a little less and just because one Japanese man burns his house down when his mother takes away his Gundam models doesn't mean the rest of the 128 million or so Japanese are crazy too.

Though considering the porn they put out at times...

Doug said:
Arassar said:
Coming next: French water and power companies cut off your utilities! Do anything illegal and you do it in the dark while really thirsty!

I know our legal system has plenty of problems, but at least stuff like this isn't within the purview of some random judge without any kind of due process.
You think thats bad, we have an unelected weasel ('Lord' Peter Mandelson)effectively saying they'll cut us off in the UK without even a trial!
If Mandelson thinks he's got a hope in hell of getting those through he is sorely mistaken. We'd be taking one large step down towards a certain Neo-Facist government and I think Guy Fawkes has something to say about such things.

/They are Legion and all that malarky.