France Passes Tough New Law Against Internet Piracy

cyber_andyy

Dec 31, 2008
Peerguardian FTW.

But no, I doubt this will work. Also, agreeing with the irony of spying on people. You must also wonder, how they get your e-mail.

Peerguardian is not intended a pirating tool, it is a tool to block unwanted Ips access to your computer. Generally used for people who want to keep there private computer private. And yes pirates do use it, but not as much as legitamate users so on and so forth.

PetitPiteux

Sep 16, 2009
Destal said:
The internet isn't a right. If you use a car for making a bank robbery, they impound your car. It's the exact same logic when you think about it. They are taking away your means to commit another crime. It's not as big of a scale for sure, but I still wouldn't have a problem with this.
The way I undestand it, the decision of the high court goes like this: property is a fundamental right (songs/film are owned by whoever own them and downloading them is illegal); liberty of expression and communication is another, and internet is now a vital part of it. And you can go against one right to protect another, but it must be done by a real judge stating in a court, and not an had hoc administrative body you cant argue against.

So what the hight court did was to make a legal judgement mandatory, which scale down by an order of magnitude the number of decision compared to what was originally intended by the law, or all judge in france will spend their day banning people from internet...

A discution is here http://www.maitre-eolas.fr/post/2009/06/11/1447-in-memoriam-hadopi (in french, and i am not sure about google translating legal stuff, but hey...)

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
To be honest I support this bill, anyone stupid enough to get cough downloading stuff should be banned from the internet, and possibly reproducing.

(sarcasm)

EDIT: Seriously though, assuming this does get passed, it will be very easy to doge, if not when it comes out then a while afterwards hackers, in my experience at lest, are nothing if not tenacious.

It will achieve very little, it will infringe on the privacy of the public, and, worse of all, if governments get powers like this, they rarely tend to give them away. France passes a bill like this, it could be the first step on a long road...

Besides, if why are they even doing this? As I understand it it's because many of their musicians are getting pirated so much they can't make ends meant, you want to know what I think? Well, you're reading this post, so I'll assume you do.

The only reason they're getting raped by piracy is because they suck balls! If they were better more people would buy their songs and they'd make more money.

Because of this, millions of crappy 'artists' will be allowed to continue to stagnate the music business, France, you should be ashamed of you're selves.

Plus this kinda thing makes piracy seem cool, in fact, I might go pirate a move right now.

LockHeart

Apr 9, 2009
johnman said:
Internet access is a human right? Oh god what has the world come to?
I'd consider it a right in the sense that it's a negative right - that no one should have the power to actively prevent you from using it; not that it's a positive right and that the state should thus make sure that you are able to access it.

OT: I don't see how this law would be seen as fair - prosecution for the 'non-securisation of internet access'?! So what, if I leave my front door open I'm going to be prosecuted while any burglar gets off free? The abandonment of the presumption of innocence always works well in criminal prosecutions...

Dudeakoff

Jul 22, 2009
bodyklok said:
Popularity does not determine how good the band is.

On topic: Hooray, the money loaded labels get their way again. Many bands don't care if you pirate, as long as you listen to their stuff. It's also common knowledge that bands make most of their money from gigs.

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
This system will fail. I'm glad France has elected itself to be the guinea pig to suffer and show the rest of the world not to try and do the same.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Dudeakoff said:
bodyklok said:
Popularity does not determine how good the band is.
I think that depends on who you're popular with, since it's all subjective.

But my real point is if they just let bands that no one wants to pay to listen to die, maybe we'd get some new interesting bands?

It doesn't really bother me and I don't know all that much about the music industry anyway, but I feel this is a valid point against this bill.

Of course it all works on the premise that people would pay for music they thought was really good instead of just pirating it, but we'll never know really.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
so how do they get the email?
do they track your ip address? are they going to be spying on us?

france needs to think this through

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Yes,they wanna punish people on the internet while their educational system deteriorates. Nice use of the money, guys.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Yes,they wanna punish people on the internet while their educational system deteriorates. Nice use of the money, guys.
Edit2: Link fixed, albeit 'old news' [http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-115850863/u-s-justice-dept.html].

/Stones, glass houses, throwing.
//Politicians suck globally.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
For this to even begin to work, they have to track everyone's internet usage and what they do on it, which is a huge invasion of privacy.
This thing is doomed to fail, or France has begun down a road that no country should ever go down.

GideonB

Jul 26, 2008
Oh fucking hell, it doesn't really affect them that much, most pirates are teenagers anyways, this is just a fucking ridiculous law, and yeah I agree with you glefistus, it is ironic that the first "free" democratic nation is the first to pass this totalitarian "big brother like state" law. It's stupid and pointless to try to stop pirates. Most of them are teens who just want to get their songs because they cost too damn much! Why don't greedy people listen if they wanna get their shit noticed, make it cheap!

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
Avaholic03 said:
When did home internet access become a "fundamental human right"? People existed just fine without it 10-20 years ago. It certainly isn't necessary for survival...it's a luxury. If you need to get online that badly, there are internet cafes or libraries.
I don't know how things are in the US, but in industrialized society, the internet is pretty necessary. I'm a student in Sweden, and for me to access my student loan and grant, I pretty much have to have my own stable internet access at home. If I don't, then it'll be hard for me to use my BankID, which I need to pay my bills and access my money supply. I can't use an internet cafe or library for that, because it requires a special security application to be installed and customized on my computer in order to work. And in order for me to carry out my studies, I need to use the Student Network to sign up for tests and classes. I can't do that without the internet. I suppose I could do it via the university computers, but then I'd need to travel at least an extra 10km per day in order to stay up to date, which would seriously hamper my economy. I have hundreds more examples of why I would be very hard pressed to manage my day-to-day life without the internet, but I think this should suffice to make you realize that your reality doesn't equal everyone else's. Regardless of how computer-independent the US is, there are plenty of countries that aren't.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Amnestic said:
johnman said:
Internet access is a human right? Oh god what has the world come to?
Welcome to the 21st Century, glad to have you.
Internet access itself isn't a human right, but freedom of speech and thus, freedom of information is. Considering how the internet is in fact an information highway, well I hope you see what I'm getting at because I doubt I should have to explain it any further.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
bodyklok said:
To be honest I support this bill, anyone stupid enough to get cough downloading stuff should be banned from the internet, and possibly reproducing.

(sarcasm)

EDIT: Seriously though, assuming this does get passed, it will be very easy to doge, if not when it comes out then a while afterwards hackers, in my experience at lest, are nothing if not tenacious.

It will achieve very little, it will infringe on the privacy of the public, and, worse of all, if governments get powers like this, they rarely tend to give them away. France passes a bill like this, it could be the first step on a long road...

Besides, if why are they even doing this? As I understand it it's because many of their musicians are getting pirated so much they can't make ends meant, you want to know what I think? Well, you're reading this post, so I'll assume you do.

The only reason they're getting raped by piracy is because they suck balls! If they were better more people would buy their songs and they'd make more money.

Because of this, millions of crappy 'artists' will be allowed to continue to stagnate the music business, France, you should be ashamed of you're selves.

Plus this kinda thing makes piracy seem cool, in fact, I might go pirate a move right now.
You got that right on the money, about them sucking balls. I'm waiting for when the music industry makes it mandatory for you to only express good feelings about the next Taylor Swift or Beyonce song, and don't even think about trashing Kanye West.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Nomad said:
Avaholic03 said:
When did home internet access become a "fundamental human right"? People existed just fine without it 10-20 years ago. It certainly isn't necessary for survival...it's a luxury. If you need to get online that badly, there are internet cafes or libraries.
I don't know how things are in the US, but in industrialized society, the internet is pretty necessary. I'm a student in Sweden, and for me to access my student loan and grant, I pretty much have to have my own stable internet access at home. If I don't, then it'll be hard for me to use my BankID, which I need to pay my bills and access my money supply. I can't use an internet cafe or library for that, because it requires a special security application to be installed and customized on my computer in order to work. And in order for me to carry out my studies, I need to use the Student Network to sign up for tests and classes. I can't do that without the internet. I suppose I could do it via the university computers, but then I'd need to travel at least an extra 10km per day in order to stay up to date, which would seriously hamper my economy. I have hundreds more examples of why I would be very hard pressed to manage my day-to-day life without the internet, but I think this should suffice to make you realize that your reality doesn't equal everyone else's. Regardless of how computer-independent the US is, there are plenty of countries that aren't.
Oh it is so much more than that. Many people regardless of how close they might live to their banks, libraries, jobs, schools, or etc, would just as soon sit on their ass and surf the web, and if you even think of taking that away because they spend a little too much time on the CIA website, they will cry to high heaven, sending emails to the ACLU, ASPCA, NAACP, even PETA to defend their right to be on the World Wackedout Web. Me? I would go into withdrawal convulsions for a couple of days, but then discover the zillion books I have cramming up my too small of space. Which I do every night. But I like to think myself stronger than most, regardless of the fact I have to point this out on a web forum. Quit looking at me like that! For some it is a necessity, others it is a needless addiction, but I guess we are all stuck with it. Just some are stuck with spoonfuls instead of shovelloads.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
GideonB said:
Most of them are teens who just want to get their songs because they cost too damn much! Why don't greedy people listen if they wanna get their shit noticed, make it cheap!
If they cost too damn much, then don't buy them. Complaining about the cost of a Playstation 3 doesn't give you the right to walk into a store and steal it.

Dear Pirates: Music, movies, games and other forms of entertainment aren't an inherent human right. Stop trying to justify your robbing of money. Thanks.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Amnestic said:
Pendragon9 said:
Edit2: Link fixed, albeit 'old news' [http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-115850863/u-s-justice-dept.html].

/Stones, glass houses, throwing.
//Politicians suck globally.
Do you really think I blame only France for this? I'm not that biased.