Frank Miller Wants to Write Captain America

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Frank Miller Wants to Write Captain America

Controversial onetime comics legend wants a crack at Marvel's star-spangled Avenger

Once upon a time, Frank Miller was one of the biggest names in American comics; famed for his character-redefining run on Daredevil, reviving public interest in Batman with The Dark Knight Returns and upending the medium with his groundbreaking series Sin City. Over the last decade, though, his name has come up most often as a punchline - either about his not being good at making comics anymore. [http://www.shortpacked.com/2006/comic/book-2-pulls-the-drama-tag/06-the-drama-tag/whores/]

But now the erstwhile auteur thinks he's found the perfect way to come back: He wants to take over Captain America duties at Marvel.

Speaking on a Reddit AMA to promote Sin City: A Dame To Kill For, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135335-Sin-City-A-Dame-to-Kill-For-Trailer-Goes-Back-to-the-Future] Miller told a questioner that he'd like to take on Cap because he "features virtues that my country has either lost or misplaced for a very long time," and that "I remember telling people at Marvel, just a few days after 9/11, that I hoped they realized what they had there, because Captain America's reaction to 9/11 would have been pretty direct."

Reached for comment, Marvel executive editor Tom Brevoort didn't exactly close the door but specified that it would depend on what Miller actually wanted to do with the character, stating: "I don't think, for example, we'd have gone ahead with Holy Terror as a Captain America story." Holy Terror was a superhero 9/11 revenge fantasy originally pitched as a Batman story but was reworked to feature new characters after DC said "no thanks." The resulting comic was widely panned by critics, with Wired.com calling it "a screed against Islam, completely uninterested in any nuance of empathy." [http://www.wired.com/2011/09/holy-terror-frank-miller/]

Source: THR [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sin-city-creator-wants-write-711504]

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I really don't see the two lining up well. I can see Captain America going into dark, potentially politically charged stories but Marvel would be wise to hesitate giving it to someone so... radical.

Also the links don't seem to work.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
MovieBob said:
The resulting comic was widely panned by critics, with Wired.com calling it "a screed against Islam, completely uninterested in any nuance of empathy." [/QUOTE] Yeah, because when I th... sledgehammered home with giant fists of ham.

croc3629

Mar 20, 2011
How about no?

I sometimes feel like Marvel has issues with letting their heroes be heroes in the comics, sometimes derailing characters in order to better serve the plot in their crossover events, and I am not confident Frank Miller would help with that at all if he took over solo issue duties.

Especially with Captain America. Which makes me morbidly curious about what the end result would be. Just picture it:

"I'M THE GODDAMN CAPTAIN!" Steve exclaimed as he gleefully caved in the skulls of more terrorist scum.

Yes? No?

Patriotism?

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
I was about to say go for it, I would love to see Captain America written by Frank Miller but then I realized I got him mixed up with Alan Moore. I always get them mixed up because I think whoever wrote Dark Knight Returns probably wrote Watchmen. They just seem similar to me. So yeah not saying it has to happen and it has already happened but I have to admit Captain America's reaction to America no longer being the America he was born in is the only thing I really like about the character.

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
No, no, nonononono NOPE. Horrible, horrible idea. I didn't think it could get worse after Remender's hatchetjob of the character but this would probably even top that. Frank Miller is the last person I want to see writing Cap, it'd be a disaster of epic proportions

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
MovieBob said:
not being good at making comics anymore. [http://atopthefourthwall.com/all-star-batman-and-robin-6/]
Bob, that implies that Frank Miller was ever any good at making comics.

Anyway, on to the topic at hand. Should we give a character who specializes in the examination of patriotism and morality to the industry's most detestable human being, a card-carrying misogynistic psychopath who accomplishes the impossible by having a more pronounced rape fetish than Alan Moore does, who has never written anything worth reading, and who poisoned superhero comics beyond repair in the mid-eighties by ushering in the Dark Age?

What do you think, Darth Vader?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Jinjer said:
No, no, nonononono NOPE. Horrible, horrible idea. I didn't think it could get worse after Remender's hatchetjob of the character but this would probably even top that. Frank Miller is the last person I want to see writing Cap, it'd be a disaster of epic proportions
Yes. It would be such a disaster I almost want to see it, but no.

I do like Dark Knight Rises, but I can't think of anything else of his 'good stuff' I've read.
Well, Sin City maybe. It wasn't really for me though, so I'm not sure how good it was since I quickly lost interest in it.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
I remember when Frank Miller started talking about Muslims and then Holy Terror and we were all like, "Woah. Frank Miller is racist, that came out of no where." And then we looked back on Dark Knight Returns and Sin City and it was like, "Oh... Ohhhhh..."

Seriously, when he says Captain America represents lost aspects of America, he means bigotry. He could write plenty of characters terribly, but if he wrote Captain America, ugh...

This would be considered tame in comparison:

JoshuaMadoc

Sep 3, 2008
Am I seriously the only one here that's always seen Frank Miller as nothing but a complete idiot since the first time I heard about him?

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
My reaction won't be terribly original: No. Frank, after Holy Terror, All-Star Goddamn Batman and Robin Boy Wonder, Age Twelve and Dark Knight Strikes Again, nobody would be braindead enough to give you a mainstream superhero, and the one that has a movie franchise around him at taht.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
JoshuaMadoc said:
Am I seriously the only one here that's always seen Frank Miller as nothing but a complete idiot since the first time I heard about him?
No, your not.
However, he has done some good writing in the past. While in recent years being a complete political nutjob, should be considered in the complete rejection of this idea.
Cap is not the right character for Miller's style of writing. At all, ever.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Lieju said:
Jinjer said:
Yes. It would be such a disaster I almost want to see it, but no.

I do like Dark Knight Rises, but I can't think of anything else of his 'good stuff' I've read.
Well, Sin City maybe. It wasn't really for me though, so I'm not sure how good it was since I quickly lost interest in it.
His Daredevil run was magic and renewed my love of comic books for a decade. One issue has Captain America in it. It is told from Matt Murdock's perspective. He can tell someone outside his building wants to speak to him in private. He exits and chases someone so fast and graceful, he can't keep up. He hears a window creak under the weigh of the person swinging from it (cap) and thinks the person must weigh at least 300 lbs. Just really cool. And his cap is really cool.

That written, I was so excited to see Robocop 2 as he was writing the screenplay. It was so ugly and episodic I nearly walked out. I never walk out of a movie. And this really tempted me a lot.

300 was fantastic, but I don't know how involved he was with it. Sin City? Meh. He is so hit or miss, I really want them to stick with the guys that wrote Cap 2. Best movie of the season IMHO.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Sigfodr said:

[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
Dear god, what happened to Cap's face? He looks like a freaking zombie! Also, racism from someone who fought with a Frenchmen. Nice.

OT: Honestly, I kind of want this to happen, so we can have something to point to and say "THIS IS WHAT YOU DON'T DO WITH CAPTAIN AMERICA!" for future reference. Sure, it'd be a Metroid Other M/Highlander The Source/Teen Titans Go style canon defiler, but Cap can be kind of tricky to write without just turning him and his enemies into strawmen sometimes. Having something that we can definitively point to and say "don't write him like this" could be useful.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, because what I want in a Captain America film is him breaking into random civilian houses and fucking up farmers 'Taken' style so he can find leads on TUURREREST hideouts.

This honestly sounds like the worst freaking idea Marvel could do... although I actually kind of liked 'The Spirit'.

Sigfodr said:

[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
I truly, TRULY despise this attitude that France is some how cowardly for surrendering, it's not like they had a choice and their civilians still fought back as best they could. Especially coming from American patriots, took you guys a good few years to even get involved, also, wasn't there a more recent war where you guys surrendered. I don't want to step on the toes of any soldiers, those guys/gals have enough to deal with but this anti-french attitude has always pissed me off...

AND I'M ENGLISH!

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
JoshuaMadoc said:
Well, I didn't always feel that way... back in the days when sin city was still his most prominent credit, I kind of regarded him the same way I do michael bay... man does jingoism and violence. Not for me, but whatever.

Then all star batman and robin happened... and then I heard about how he wanted to use batman as the hero of a catharsis comic in which he went around torturing and killing brown people.

Now, I, too, suspect he's a few apple dippers short of a kid's meal.