Fraps recording 3 minute, 5 GB movies? Why?

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Zer_ said:
ZombieGenesis said:
Zer_ said:
I usually go for the K-Lite complete codec pack. I'm not sure if CCCP comes with the proper codecs to actually compress files, if only to read them.

Also make sure you use VirtualDUB x86. 64 bit based codecs are actually rare. Basically the 32 bit version of VDub can only read 32 bit codecs, and the 64 bit can only read 64 bit codecs.
Well I'm using the 64 bit version of VDub but I have no idea what the codecs are :/ Just downloaded the CCCP pack recommended but it hasn't changed anything.
Use the 32bit version. The 64 bit version doesn't have enough codec support.
You're telling me, I just downloaded the K-Lite pack as well and still nothing.
I'll try 32 but if that doesn't work I might just drop the whole thing and stick to Movie Maker.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Right, just tried the 32x version and no difference. No compression options showing no matter what codecs I have installed- I hereby declare this a waste of time.
Plus its 3 am and I'm tired. Uninstalled everything and decided to just use Moviemaker from now on (still 500MB per video but oh well).

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
ZombieGenesis said:
Just bought the full version of fraps and tried out the video capture. After an hour recording I find all the movies have been split into 3 minute videos, each one is 4.9GB in size.

This used to be a quirk of non-NTFS file systems, but now it's a universal 64-Bit problem. Normally, you can stitch them together in VirtualDub.

I tried running VirtualDub (compressing) but afterwards that 3 minute movie became 16 GB!! Somehow...
What on earth?
Yep. That's about right.

FRAPS doesn't compress the videos while recording, which means higher quality videos for you (a good thing). The video and sound alone for that three-minute bit was a total of 16 GB uncompressed. This is why high amounts of RAM are recommended nowadays.

You have to compress them manually using VirtualDub or another compressor. VirtualDub is handy, if you have a compatible video codec.

Which I don't.

And they're ridiculously hard to find.

If you find a goo one, could you please tell me about it?

(Fun story: Due to a glitch in VD, my seven minute video ended up taking up about 212 gigabytes of space. I couldn't even drop it in the recycling bin, it was so massive.)

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Easiest thing to do is open up Windows Movie Maker. Import every file and add them all in order to the timeline, then publish it as an MPEG. Depending on the settings you choose, that should effectively compress the entire thing to a mere few MB with barely any loss in quality. Then you can delete all the raw footage and use the new file as your new 'raw footage' to do whatever you want with.

Seriously, that does work. I had half an hour of footage a few days ago to turn into a 45 second trailer as part of a commissioned job, and it was around 8GB originally. After I did this I had the same file, barely any drop in quality, taking up only 481MB, much more suitable for my crappy laptop to handle.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Trivun said:
Easiest thing to do is open up Windows Movie Maker. Import every file and add them all in order to the timeline, then publish it as an MPEG. Depending on the settings you choose, that should effectively compress the entire thing to a mere few MB with barely any loss in quality. Then you can delete all the raw footage and use the new file as your new 'raw footage' to do whatever you want with.

Seriously, that does work. I had half an hour of footage a few days ago to turn into a 45 second trailer as part of a commissioned job, and it was around 8GB originally. After I did this I had the same file, barely any drop in quality, taking up only 481MB, much more suitable for my crappy laptop to handle.
And this is exactly what I'm now doing. a 20GB+ 11 minute video down to 400MB. Still too big for my taste but at least it isn't eating my harddrive.